• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloserSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished playing The Birdwatcher. Very nice - it was like holidaying in Sweden in the summer whilst being holed-up surrounded by wind & rain. The photography is fantastic, the music is interesting & the story intriguing!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

Another PSN freebie. About 5-6 hours in lenght depending on how much exploring you do.

It’s a Walking Sim with the emphasise on walking. You walk really slowly thourgh an English village where everone has disappeared apart from a ball of light that floats around. Follow the ball of light to catch glimpses of memories of the people who used to live there and uncover the mystery of the disapearances.

Pros

*Graphically georgous village with great lighting effects and the lovely night skybox full of stars.
* Dialogue is well done for most of the characters. You really get a sense of them even though you don’t really see them. Just glowy golden light figures.
* Music done by a choir which, although not really my style, suited the game and was hauntingly good.
* Story one - The one which was mainly about the resident of the village and their lives. Piecing out their past memories was interesting and made we want to explore more.

Cons

* Like most of these games. Little interaction. Which might be ok if the story is up to it. Unfortunatly only half of the story worked for me.
* Walking speed. The map is quite large and you walk really really slow. I know there is a “run” button but it’s still not that fast
* Getting lost and turned around is easy in the woods. There is no compass and even although you have about 40 maps in this very small village it was still sometimes hard to tell where to go.
* If you wander away from the glowy ball to explore it’s never clear where or what to do next.
* Story 2 - Don’t want to spoil it but it is BS of the highest order.
* The autosave is too few and far between, it only saves after a motion controlled story event. My game crashed and I to replay a fair chunk.

3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Lucien21 - 06 January 2018 01:47 PM

* Story 2 - Don’t want to spoil it but it is BS of the highest order.

Ha ha - yes!  Tongue

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

chrissie - 05 January 2018 03:21 PM

I’ve just finished playing The Birdwatcher. Very nice - it was like holidaying in Sweden in the summer whilst being holed-up surrounded by wind & rain. The photography is fantastic, the music is interesting & the story intriguing!  Thumbs Up

I have to ask, how did you like it compared to the other ones? Since I tested it many times, it’s very hard for me to be objective. Or perhaps I have a problem with that anyway.  Tongue

It’s funny, when getting closer to the end, there was about a second or so, when I wondered if perhaps Immodia was the guilty one. And I knew of course that I hadn’t recorded any lines that would suggest that, but I was so caught up in the moment that I got lost lol. And I loved that! It was another great ending I thought.
But I’m curious if others feels the same way or not?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

RebKean - 06 January 2018 02:54 PM

I have to ask, how did you like it compared to the other ones? Since I tested it many times, it’s very hard for me to be objective. Or perhaps I have a problem with that anyway.  Tongue

It’s funny, when getting closer to the end, there was about a second or so, when I wondered if perhaps Immodia was the guilty one. And I knew of course that I hadn’t recorded any lines that would suggest that, but I was so caught up in the moment that I got lost lol. And I loved that! It was another great ending I thought.

How I liked the game compared to earlier ones is quite difficult to answer as there’s roughly a year between playing each one (all of which I’d play again) so you can conclude that I’ve enjoyed all of them on an individual basis & none sticks out more than another at this point of time in my memory.

On the subject of the present game I never thought that Immodia was guilty but the situation with Joanna may have prompted suicide possibly.

The story wasn’t quite ‘Agatha Christie’ but reminded me & had a nice twist!

One of the things I did appreciate was not too much of exploring dirty abandoned places with rooms within rooms - don’t get me wrong as I enjoy that but just up to a point & I love to see strange real-life locations like the stumps & mushrooms area - wacky! + a variety of interesting places particularly those that you only find in Sweden?

One of the things that intrigues me though is that I’m quite messy at times but I’ve never come across the amount of clutter to be found in the neat Swedish houses behind cupboard doors! - truly, so much crap & I thought I was a hoarder! Laughing

Last thing - on concluding the game I was shocked to see that Len Green had passed away - has it been mentioned anywhere else?

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

chrissie - 07 January 2018 11:52 AM
RebKean - 06 January 2018 02:54 PM

How I liked the game compared to earlier ones is quite difficult to answer as there’s roughly a year between playing each one (all of which I’d play again) so you can conclude that I’ve enjoyed all of them on an individual basis & none sticks out more than another at this point of time in my memory.

On the subject of the present game I never thought that Immodia was guilty but the situation with Joanna may have prompted suicide possibly.

The story wasn’t quite ‘Agatha Christie’ but reminded me & had a nice twist!

One of the things I did appreciate was not too much of exploring dirty abandoned places with rooms within rooms - don’t get me wrong as I enjoy that but just up to a point & I love to see strange real-life locations like the stumps & mushrooms area - wacky! + a variety of interesting places particularly those that you only find in Sweden?

One of the things that intrigues me though is that I’m quite messy at times but I’ve never come across the amount of clutter to be found in the neat Swedish houses behind cupboard doors! - truly, so much crap & I thought I was a hoarder! Laughing

Last thing - on concluding the game I was shocked to see that Len Green had passed away - has it been mentioned anywhere else?

I enjoy them all as well. I realize now that the question was a bit…strange. And sadly, I don’t remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it. Never mind, you liked it, that’s all I need.  Tongue

When I feel that the end is coming, my blood pressure rises, and so that’s my excuse for why I forgot Immodia was innocent. But for a few seconds there, my mind when from Nils to Tim to Immodia and then I just wanted to get out of there lol

Mikael is very good at finding great locations. The problem would be that he has so many places to go in each game, that it would be hard to only use the really cool places. And the abandoned industrial places is easier to find. I like the variety as well, so I get it. But if there were 25 places with only dirty industries in them, I might lose faith.  Grin

Hmm, since I’m pretty messy myself, I don’t even know what you’re thinking of. Maybe it’s normal to me, hah. But seriously, some houses is obviously owned by older people than me, and with age comes crap. Something to look forward to.  Thumbs Up

I didn’t know about Len either until I tested the game. But I don’t know if it have been posted somewhere else.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-09-21

PM

The last game that I’ve played is Gorogoa, and I’ve played it three times. It’s a masterfully created game and a work of aesthetic value.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Recently finished Realms of the Haunting.  Sort of a strange hybrid between FMV adventure game (like a horror version of Tex Murphy) and first person shooter.  Similar in that respect to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.  Both games that I think would probably have been better and scarier without the first person shooter parts, but that’s just my opinion…

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.  They went into a lot of detail developing the strange arcane lore of this world.  Also, I can’t think of any other first person adventure game (and a horror game no less) where you have a companion with you for most of the game who comments on everything along with your player character.  I guess there is Journeyman Project 2 & 3, but Gage is basically a silent protagonist while you’re in control of him so there is no in-game back and forth dialogue between him and Arthur.  That’s a bummer because I really thought it added to the immersion.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Just finished Quern.

It was actually much better than what I anticipated, pretty, quite long (more than 10 hours), with interesting and varied puzzles, and just the right difficulty.
I actually had to look at a walkthrough once because I missed an object interaction, which is really annoying, but unfortunately I can’t really blame the game for it Shifty Eyed.
Granted, it’s not (by far) as artfully designed as Riven, but it feels similar, in terms of difficulty, to Myst 3 or 4, and especially to Aura with which it shares the fact that there’s an inventory.

I did miss the varied environnements than other Myst-clones usually provide, but then again it made this game feel more coherent than most of its pairs, and there are still many areas to unlock as the game progresses, which feels rewarding enough.

I guess the weakest point would be the story, which isn’t very original and probaby won’t make any lasting impression, but it’s still ok.
Oh, and the french translation is very good, which is not that common.

For me this is a solid 15/20 game, and I was really impressed to find out as the credit rolled that it was a 4-men team effort.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Ninth - 12 January 2018 08:16 PM

Just finished Quern.

It was actually much better than what I anticipated, pretty, quite long (more than 10 hours), with interesting and varied puzzles, and just the right difficulty.

Yeah, Quern was great.  I managed to get through much more of Quern intuitively without a walkthrough than most games of that type.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

russ869 - 09 January 2018 03:16 PM

Recently finished Realms of the Haunting.  Sort of a strange hybrid between FMV adventure game (like a horror version of Tex Murphy) and first person shooter.  Similar in that respect to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.  Both games that I think would probably have been better and scarier without the first person shooter parts, but that’s just my opinion…

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.  They went into a lot of detail developing the strange arcane lore of this world.  Also, I can’t think of any other first person adventure game (and a horror game no less) where you have a companion with you for most of the game who comments on everything along with your player character.  I guess there is Journeyman Project 2 & 3, but Gage is basically a silent protagonist while you’re in control of him so there is no in-game back and forth dialogue between him and Arthur.  That’s a bummer because I really thought it added to the immersion.

Played Realms of the Haunting ages ago and have fond memories. Definitely time for a replay. I played the European version but found some files on the net that transforms it to the US version, meaning it’s possible to reduce the difficulty for the action parts (that I agree were the game’s weak point).

Speaking of Dark Corners of the Earth and action parts; I quit playing after failing to escape some mad townspeople at the hotel not very far into the game. Enjoyed it very much up until then but sold it (Xbox version) in disgust after that sequence.Smile Just bought it again from GOG hoping it will be easier with keyboard/mouse controls.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

I just finished Paradigm. I really liked it, although not much of a challenge.

The animation is great and the attention to detail is amazing. It surprised me that with so much work put on trivial jokes and special interactions, minigames(jokes more than games, etc, there was not so much complexity in puzzles. The game is very linear and easy but still i enjoyed it.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

I can’t actually remember which order I finished them in, but…

Toonstruck - had never played this before, enjoyed it immensely though would never have completed it without hints.
Grim Fangango Remastered - found the interface rather cumbersome at times but at the end of the day, it’s still Grim Fandango.  Wonderful storytelling.  Again, no way I would have completed it without hints.
Legend of Hand - really unique game, thoroughly enjoyed it and didn’t need hints to complete it Grin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Turing Test

Portal without the humour, character or ingenuity.

70 puzzle rooms with little in the way of real challenge accompanied by a creepy AI voice.

Luckily it was free.

2/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I wanted to treat myself to an FMV experience. The Bunker, an interactive movie that can be finished in a couple of hours. Disappointing, although the atmosphere was good and the acting okay, maybe a bit over the top. But I spotted the plot a mile off, too many hints really. And the worst of all were the QTEs. Most of the time three in a row, so if you miss one you have to do all three again. After a while my fingers got tired of the rapid clicking and the QTEs got harder. Couldn’t finish the very last one. Frustrating as hell. I had to watch the ending on youtube.

What is it with developers and QTEs?  Angry

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top