• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 12 December 2017 03:38 AM

The most recent game I finished was Reah: Face the Unknown. It starts off well enough, even though the premise is silly. A few hours into it there are a couple of puzzles that are just downright unfair. And putting those three infamous final puzzles in there should be considered a criminal offense imo… Finished it with a walkthrough in hand.

Three or four hours into Schizm, that game just seem to be more of the same, hard in an unfair way, collection of puzzles. Will probably never finish that one, although it’s my favorite type of game and there is a lot to like aside from the puzzles. What were they thinking!?

Yeah, mathematical formulas and equations have no place in an adventure game. IMO. Smile When Schizm was released I was still visiting the Gameboomers forums every once in a while and so was one of its developers, Maciej Miasik. I politely complained that some puzzles were too hard for the mathematically challenged, but he didn’t seem to understand what I was talking about.

I finished playing (and watching) Firewatch today. Not bad, not great either. I took an instant dislike to Delilah. She’s calling Henry for the very first time and after introducing herself to him she says: “So what’s wrong with you? People take this job to get away from something, so what’s wrong?”   Thumbs Up  Anyway, I have a question about the plot. Couldn’t find a Firewatch thread, so I’m posting it here.

serious spoiler alert!
Has Delilah been in cahoots with Ned from the start?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 12 December 2017 12:16 PM

serious spoiler alert!
Has Delilah been in cahoots with Ned from the start?

Don’t remember very clearly but why do you say that? Didn’t Delilah think that the Ned and son were sent home? She had a reson to lie?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 12 December 2017 12:16 PM

I finished playing (and watching) Firewatch today. Not bad, not great either. I took an instant dislike to Delilah. She’s calling Henry for the very first time and after introducing herself to him she says: “So what’s wrong with you? People take this job to get away from something, so what’s wrong?”   Thumbs Up  Anyway, I have a question about the plot. Couldn’t find a Firewatch thread, so I’m posting it here.

I could see how that would make Delilah unlikeable to some and it’s not something I would say, but it fit her character. She was obviously very lonely and needed human contact, and she was very outgoing and the outdoorsy type. I have met people like that, both women and men.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, I may be totally wrong… it made me suspicious that she’s a totally irresponsible boss, who gets absurdly emotional about those two girls and their campfire (but not about the serious fires later), gives Henry more or less carte blanche to destroy their properties, and lies to the autohorities when they’re missing, although Henry in my playthrough said he wanted to tell the truth about having seen them. She’s a secretive, lying, flirtatious, irresponsible woman who probably threw herself at Ned too and had one of her countless affairs with him. Why didn’t she realize who the man was when Henry tells her he read about her ongoing relationship with Javier? Why didn’t she know there was a fenced off area? She had a weird reaction when Henry mentioned Wapiti Station. Why did she say she didn’t know about the researchers tracking animals with electronic devices? That was an ongoing project, it’s her JOB to know stuff like that. I’m sure she didn’t have anything to do with the son’s death though, that would be obscene.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Just completed Wolfenstein: The New Order, and now playing its prequel The Old Blood. I’ve only just discovered the series and it is incredible! Very exciting and cinematic story. If you’re a fan of first person shooters like Bioshock for example you should definitely give it a try. It also has a very easy difficulty (called ‘daddy, can I play?’) if you just want it to experience for its story.

Oh and Frau Engel is a great villainess.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

aaroncarney - 12 December 2017 06:54 PM

Just completed Wolfenstein: The New Order, and now playing its prequel The Old Blood. I’ve only just discovered the series and it is incredible! Very exciting and cinematic story. If you’re a fan of first person shooters like Bioshock for example you should definitely give it a try. It also has a very easy difficulty (called ‘daddy, can I play?’) if you just want it to experience for its story.

You should post this in the “general” forum, not here.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

jeez i was just answering the name of the thread…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

aaroncarney - 12 December 2017 07:15 PM

jeez i was just answering the name of the thread…

Yeah, but this is the Adventure forum. You will find a similar “last played” thread at the General forum, for all other type of games.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 12 December 2017 06:52 PM

Well, I may be totally wrong… it made me suspicious that she’s a totally irresponsible boss, who gets absurdly emotional about those two girls and their campfire (but not about the serious fires later), gives Henry more or less carte blanche to destroy their properties, and lies to the autohorities when they’re missing, although Henry in my playthrough said he wanted to tell the truth about having seen them. She’s a secretive, lying, flirtatious, irresponsible woman who probably threw herself at Ned too and had one of her countless affairs with him. Why didn’t she realize who the man was when Henry tells her he read about her ongoing relationship with Javier? Why didn’t she know there was a fenced off area? She had a weird reaction when Henry mentioned Wapiti Station. Why did she say she didn’t know about the researchers tracking animals with electronic devices? That was an ongoing project, it’s her JOB to know stuff like that. I’m sure she didn’t have anything to do with the son’s death though, that would be obscene.

Don’t remember nearly enough about the game to answer those question but do remember Delilah lying a lot and being unprofessional but something keep attention when I play through it again.
But you are not alone with that theory if you haven’t seen this.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 13 December 2017 10:43 AM

Don’t remember nearly enough about the game to answer those question but do remember Delilah lying a lot and being unprofessional but something keep attention when I play through it again.
But you are not alone with that theory if you haven’t seen this.

Very interesting thread, thanks! I don’t want to have anything to do with conspiracy theories in real life, but in games it’s fun. Cool Maybe I should visit reddit more often. They also had great discussions about The Witness.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The Dream Machine.

I’m glad that I played this game all at once now, rather than as 5 instalments over the course of seven (!) years. The game’s chapters are all closely connected, not just in terms of story but also puzzles, and I can’t imagine how such long breaks between chapters must have felt. As a full, cohesive game, it is extremely good, and I highly recommend it.

The obvious comparison is to Sanitarium: both games are divided into chapters, each exploring a different, dream-like world in which something feels very off. But where Sanitarium is at its best in its second chapter and loses some steam after that, The Dream Machine keeps getting better and better and manages to make everything come together in one superb final chapter.

That being said, the last chapter is different from the others, and I hated its first hour, which seemed to be gratuitously weird, had no gameplay, and seemed to be more interested in psychoanalysing the main character than in getting on with the game. But then it becomes really interesting, the early stuff starts to feel like it had a point (in retrospect), and everything culminates in a brilliant, memorable puzzle—one of the best I’ve ever experienced. And then a simple, emotional ending that ties the whole game together beautifully.

(It seems like the game was originally intended to have multiple endings, but it looks like that won’t be happening.)

4/5

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Started off 2018 with a cracker.

What Remains of Edith Finch

It’s getting a lot of mentions in GOTY lists and discussions. While the “game” is 2-3hours in length and I finished it in one sitting it was well worth the time.

Going back to the family home and exploring the history of the unfortunate Finch family was a joy. Each room in the house told the story of one of the family. Each relative had their own little vignettes with different ways of getting across their personality and story. From a young girl who is hungry and imagines herself as various animals feeding to a comic book level to a fantastic Cannery section where your character is doing a menial job while daydreaming.

I loved the game from start to finish. My main issue with the game is that it is extremely linear and more exploration and any actual puzzles would have been great, but in hindsight the whole point of this is to experience the story at a certain pace and puzzles etc would have distracted it.

Not a great adventure game in the classic sense, but as a story experience it was fab.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The Inner World: The Last Wind Monk - 4/5. An enjoyable sequel despite it was on the short side (I counted 7 levels, each consisting of minimum 1 and maximum 4 locations). Like with the Gobliiins games, those few locations are filled with challenges and inner logic, and I love that! Used the in-game hint system only once to solve the ticket machine puzzle which is poorly designed imho. Other puzzles were fair and challenging enough to keep me excited.

The story is ok for a sequel, but nothing new - a Hitler-like dictator, opressed classes/races, some religious satire and adoration of monarchy all along the way. Very European in this regard. The tone is indeed darker this time, there’s less humour, but it’s still there and still good, especially visual jokes. The pigeon sidekick is truly adorable (and useful!), and I appreciate the genereal weirdness and silliness of citizens and creatures.

That’s probably why the two female leads felt so boring and out of place - both are written according to modern standards (i.m. “strong, independent women with little to no fault”) and are virtually indistinguishable. There’s also too much talking for my taste - but that’s the usual issue with German games. Other than that, I enjoyed the writing and all the little touches that add to the worldbuilding. Really hope they will continue with the series. They seem to be inspired by Legend of Kyrandia among other things, and maybe they’ll try something similar regarding protagonists/gameplay.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Doom - 02 January 2018 06:37 AM

That’s probably why the two female leads felt so boring and out of place - both are written according to modern standards (i.m. “strong, independent women with little to no fault”) and are virtually indistinguishable.

Eh? They certainly do have faults. Laura is imperious and inconsiderate while Libretta (who I wouldn’t call a “lead”) is… well, a bit awkward. I’m not sure the voice acting 100% suits Libretta though.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oscar - 02 January 2018 07:32 AM

Eh? They certainly do have faults. Laura is imperious and inconsiderate while Libretta (who I wouldn’t call a “lead”) is… well, a bit awkward. I’m not sure the voice acting 100% suits Libretta though.

I didn’t see them as faults or akwardnesses, just some additional colors that don’t make much difference. Especially compared to other characters who are downright odd, insane or immature like Robert.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top