• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve just finished The Wild Eternal, a crossbreed between a walking simulator and a Buddhist tale about an old woman trying to espace the circle of rebirth. It was gorgeous and very soothing, except for the occasional wild animal attack, which purpose I couldn’t fathom, but that wasn’t too bothering. Rarely have I enjoyed wandering around so much just for the sake of it. I liked that you could regain “normal” abilities through praying and making offerings, it felt better than the usual power-ups that come with extraordinay aptitudes. About the ending, I can’t say I wasn’t disappoined in a way, since the fox had really grown on me and I would have liked to help him; however this is the kind of game where the player does not supplant the character, so I respect and accept it as it is. Ananta’s choice at the end is completely relevant to her character, and there was some irony to it - though I’m not sure “irony” is a relevant concept in this context. I warmheartedly recommend it for those who don’t mind a game without puzzles and without an extensive cast of characters (but not without a story, though you’ll mostly learn it through tales - and the two prominent characters are quite endearing).

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I got around to playing A Golden Wake. I found it to be a very engaging game with an interesting story, good voice acting, great music & presented a lovely ‘snapshot’ of real-life events in the 1920’s that served as a backdrop to this intriguing fictional tale that is mainly set in Miami. The only downside for me was that it was a little on the easy side except for one puzzle!    Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Finished the last chapter of The Journey Down.

What I liked:
-Cool art style, even if the mask idea obviously taken from Grim Fandango
-Music
-Very professional presentation
-Lots of adventure and locations
-Chapters 2 and 3 were a definite improvement on 1

What I liked less:
-Way too long. I thought it would never end
-Humor fell flat for me most of the time
-No real emotional connection to any of the characters
-Missed opportunity for a potentially interesting environmental theme in favor of “stop the evil baddies”
-Puzzles hit-and-miss

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

I finished Black Mirror and The Park.
Black Mirror was a replay, I didn’t remember much of it. Was a bit annoying specially when there was no clue about where to go next. The puzzles were ok but sometimes I couldn’t find some item laying around. I guess I wasn’t so attentive.
I see The Park more as an interactive experience and not as a game. Loved the story and the scares and the whole environment was really disturbing in a good way. I enjoy the ability those developers have to craft good stories. Many years later, they still have it.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

Finished the Kings Quest episodic adventures.

I enjoyed that quite a bit. The budget started to creak towards the end, but it was still a good game with only one or two bad puzzles really. The final “fight” was probably the weakest point in the game and truly felt like they didn’t really know how wrap up that character, but the rest was great.

I doubt we’ll be seeing another one going by the lack of popularity?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i finished Kelvin two days ago the game has three chapters but chapter two man!, i was tearing out of laughing, i dont remember any game was that funny, not even Lucasarts games, the bad thing ‘bout it, only that its too short, but i loved it any way.

i am still at the mode of this LOL games, i have three which i think they could qualify from what i ve heard about them, but i dont know which is the funniest of bunch,  any one can help on this…. the 3 ags are:

The Little Acre
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING
Nelly Cootalot The Fowl Fleet

???

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SG59 - 06 October 2017 06:31 PM

I doubt we’ll be seeing another one going by the lack of popularity?

I am still wondering whats up with Sierra revived brand, its awfully quiet for that initiative

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Advie - 07 October 2017 01:09 AM

i finished Kelvin two days ago the game has three chapters but chapter two man!, i was tearing out of laughing, i dont remember any game was that funny, not even Lucasarts games, the bad thing ‘bout it, only that its too short, but i loved it any way.

i am still at the mode of this LOL games, i have three which i think they could qualify from what i ve heard about them, but i dont know which is the funniest of bunch,  any one can help on this…. the 3 ags are:

The Little Acre
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING

???

Are you talking about Kelvin and the Infamous Machine?

Out of the three I think HM Spiffing is the funniest, but sadly it is only one chapter.
The Little Acre is more… Cute? It’s kinda like a cartoon, still fun.
I didn’t really find Nelly Cootalot all that funny, but it did have some moments. It has British humor, but it never really hit the mark for me.

Also Spiffing and Little Acre are very short, Nelly is about average length.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Advie - 07 October 2017 01:09 AM

The Little Acre
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING

???

The humor ratings for me in each game would be:

The Little Acre: 1/5
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING 2.5/5
Nelly Cootalot The Fowl Fleet 4/5

Even then the rating for The Little Acre is generous, in my opinion it is not even a comedy game. I don’t know what gave you the idea it is a comedy?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BitingWit - 07 October 2017 08:40 PM

The humor ratings for me in each game would be:

The Little Acre: 1/5
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING 2.5/5
Nelly Cootalot The Fowl Fleet 4/5

Even then the rating for The Little Acre is generous, in my opinion it is not even a comedy game. I don’t know what gave you the idea it is a comedy?

thanks bitin’wit i dont know! maybe the cartoony look of it deceived me, i ve been wanting to play Nelly Cootalot since long time, actually i won a boxed version form the dev thru a contest that was thrown here, but my long backlog since i have all adventures that been released i dont let any bypass me with getting on hand on it, but the point is what i played not what i have.
thank you

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Policenauts (PSX): a hard science-fiction adventure by Hideo Kojima. It’s basically Lethal Weapon in a hard science fiction setting, with ex-cop Jonathan and his old partner trying to solve the murder on Jonathan’s ex-wife and the disappearance of her current husband in the space colony BEYOND. As an adventure, it’s basically what all Japanese adventures do: few puzzles, and you’re mostly moving between locations to talk to people to activate story flags that move the story forward.

But you’re also fairly frequently presented with shooting action parts, which I really did not like. These are basically light gun shooting segments, but using the D-pad is just far from ideal, and these parts can be frustrating difficult, especially as they prevent you from enjoying the otherwise interesting story.

Oh, and I know Kojima loves talkative games, so I can’t say I’m surprised at the extensive use of voice acting, but having basically every other line voiced really hurts the pace of the game, as you can’t skip voiced lines, and you have to wait for each and every line.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I just finished Stacking. I must say I very much enjoyed it! A very neat way of solving puzzles/challenges through stacking in and out of different dolls to use their special abilities. I definitely liked the fact that I was a able to return to areas I’d completed to find all possible solutions, unique dolls, and hi-jinks. The silent film style was also a nice treat Smile I had the most fun though discovering the different solutions and the mischievous hi-jinks, got a lot of good laughs from them. Smile I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played it!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m not sure what to make of The Charnel House Trilogy.  It’s incredibly short and completely devoid of puzzles (ok, I can remember one kinda-puzzle).

It’s got a great atmosphere and interesting story, though it’s not remotely scary if that’s what it was going for.

I suppose it sums it up that I will definitely be playing the sequel which has been confirmed on Twitter even more recently than this:
https://culturedvultures.com/charnel-house-trilogy-sequel-announced-owl-cave/

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Finished Memento Mori last night.  It’s a bit unpolished and uneven but pulls everything together in the end to make up for any flaws.

Puzzles are for the most part unchallenging and a little boring but there are a couple that are quite satisfying.

Mostly good voice acting and the poor translation in spots can be put down to the main characters speaking English as a second language.  Nice trick! Grin

Looking forward to starting part two this weekend.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The most recent game I finished was Reah: Face the Unknown. It starts off well enough, even though the premise is silly. A few hours into it there are a couple of puzzles that are just downright unfair. And putting those three infamous final puzzles in there should be considered a criminal offense imo… Finished it with a walkthrough in hand.

Three or four hours into Schizm, that game just seem to be more of the same, hard in an unfair way, collection of puzzles. Will probably never finish that one, although it’s my favorite type of game and there is a lot to like aside from the puzzles. What were they thinking!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top