• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Tacoma

I enjoyed it, but not as much as Gone Home. I don’t think the story comes together as well as that game. The ending seemed like a bit rushed and although the individual stories were fun, ultimatly none of them resonated with me.

Pros

* The setting - It was fun to explore the station and the small bit and pieces you find around. Most of the object have no effect that I can tell. I put the head back on the skeleton and the stone back on it’s pedestal, but apart from achievments it doesn’t do anything.

* The video mechanic - The main part of the game which involves watching AI recreations of past conversations in each section. Rewinding the video and moving around to see conversations from each persons angle was fun if a bit voyueristic.

Cons

* Length - takes about 2 hours.

* Story - While the individual stories are fun, the ending “reveal” seems a bit rushed.

* Lack of challenge. I think it is impossible not to complete the game, but you could miss some of the smaller character details. It’s very linear.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (The new Ace Attorney set in Sherlock Holmes’ Victorian London). Once again an entertaining and captivating mystery game, that however can absolutely not be seen seperate from the first game. The first game was harshly criticized for all its unanswered plot points / foreshadowing. This second game answers all of those questions, but therefore has trouble standing on its own, as it’s constantly giving you flashbacks to events that happened in the first game. The two form one large-scale story, but the way it has been split up has not been optimal, to say the least. Most of the graphical and musical assets are also re-used by the way. But people who have played the first should really play this one too to get all the closure.

The individual episodes feature interesting mysteries that fit perfectly with the older time period, and the way it plays with the whole concept of Sherlock Holmes is fantastic, though people who will only swear by the Canon might find it too playful. Because it’s basically one story smeared across two games, it also has the room to try out new things for the series.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Tantei KID - 13 August 2017 12:54 PM

...it also has the room to try out new things for the series.

This is interesting, what kind of new things?

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Some time ago, when the date for the Ultimate Director’s Cut version of Dreamfall Chapters was announced, I decided to replay the whole series, starting with The Longest Journey.

It was awful.

OK, not all of it. The middle third of the game, basically most of the stuff in Arcadia outside Marcuria, is great and memorable. Unfortunately, everything else sucks.

All the stuff on Stark is bad—and there’s a lot of it, much more than I remembered. Stark itself is a boring place, an unimaginative dystopia stolen from Blade Runner and such. It really doesn’t lend itself well to adventure puzzles, at least the kind of puzzles the game tries to do. In Arcadia, you’re a lot freer to come up with weird puzzles, because magic and an alien world can justify anything. But on Stark, all the obstacles feel artificial, and the solutions ridiculously contrived. The much-maligned rubber ducky puzzle might be the worst of the lot, but it’s hardly out of place among all the bad puzzles.

The writing is awful. It’s not just that there is far too much of it, it’s also just plain bad. You know how one the first rules of screenwriting is “Show, don’t tell”? Well, Tornquist clearly never got that memo. For instance, he wants April’s friend Emma to look like a promiscuous airhead, but to actually be smart and a great friend—except that he never shows her being that, he just has three different characters repeat the same stuff about her over and over again.

Frankly, the self-indulgent and amateurish writing made me hate most of the characters, April included—though none quite as bad as douchey hipster Cortez. Ugh. By the end of the game, I just wanted all of them to shut up and go away. Combine that with the constant slow (and bad) animations, and everything feels unbearably slow—I spent the entire game with my finger on the Esc key, trying to make things move faster.

Getting through the first three chapters took me forever, and I stopped playing at the start of chapter 4, unsure I’d ever go back to finish the game. I eventually did, and I’m glad I did, as chapters 4-8 are where the game truly shines: April’s journeys in Arcadia, the Bandas, Klacks’ castle, the Maerum and the Alatiens. I feel like this is the part of the game that most people remember and love. The puzzles are fun, the world feels vast, complex and intriguing, and the game finally gets to express its faith in the power of storytelling—probably the series’ most distinctive and memorable theme. Also: Crow!

The final few chapters are back on Stark, and highly forgettable. (Does anyone remember just how long the stuff in the space station goes on for? I had forgotten most of it, and that was probably my fourth playthrough.) At least, they’re much briefer than the early ones.

The Longest Journey is a hard game to judge. It’s extremely uneven. Its highs are really high, with one memorable world and some powerful themes. But then its lows are really, really low, with bad, overlong writing and tedious gameplay. It’s an essential part of adventure gaming’s history, but one that I seem to enjoy less and less the more I replay it.

3/5

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Full Throttle Remastered

I forgot how short this game is. about 5 or 6 hours.

The remaster is pretty decent, clean new background art, new remastered soundtrack and redone 3D models. Flipping back to the old graphics certainly highlights the improvments.

Underneath the new spit and polish is the same old game. You play as the gruff Ban Throttle as your biker gang gets arrested and you get set up for the murder of the owner of Corley motors. Most of the game is your usual Lucasart puzzles, but unfortunatly they added in the mine road rock-paper-scissors combat which is still as annoying as ever.

It’s still a great game with great characters in Ben and Maureen, a creepy villian and his gormless assistants. The voice overs are fantastic esp Roy Conrod and Mark Hamill.

Lots of fun wish it was longer.

4.5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2015-01-11

PM

The last game in general I played (and finished) was Witcher Enhanced Edition. This game and me have a funny history - I have first started playing in summer 2007 (I think!) while on a break from studies and got to the end of Ch2 before I left it. I have then played it every summer after that and tried to finish it but have somehow lost interest in it before completion every time… Until this August when I finally did it Smile It was very satisfying, some rough spots aside it exceeded my expectations.

Now the last ADVENTURE game was Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today. I first picked it up in 2015 and again didn’t finish it (yes, I am sadly often deprived of free time) and returned to it in July and August. Well, nice art, very nicely put-together game (I love playing indie titles also for the reason of learning how that is done, picking up ideas if you will), music - strange choice but I like it, brutality integrated into the story, ok, everything checks out and then at the most interesting spot… THANK YOU FOR PLAYING THE FIRST EPISODE!

To say that I hate episodic titles is an understatement. What I HATE EVEN MORE is that this one game doesn’t point it out in the title. For example, I waited until Ep. 5 to play The Dream Machine (only to find out that I have to wait for SIXTH, damnit); I would never pick up a game until it is finished (and that’s how I see episodic titles, as works-in-progress) and this one tricked me into it. More so, I checked the website - no news of Ep. 2 being in the works. What gives?...

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SvarunGames - 31 August 2017 02:29 AM

I checked the website - no news of Ep. 2 being in the works. What gives?...

In the last kickstarter update they said they are working on it but will release another game first - That other game is Do Not Feed the Monkeys that is being released at the end of the year - so don’t expect updates this year.

Joined 2015-01-11

PM

wilco - 31 August 2017 03:00 AM

In the last kickstarter update they said they are working on it but will release another game first - That other game is Do Not Feed the Monkeys that is being released at the end of the year - so don’t expect updates this year.

Well now, that’s disappointing… I never WAIT for the games (as in, hold breath and wait), I just think it’s a crappy practice. I understand lots of small devs cannot uphold a large format and that’s ok - but then make smaller self-contained games that may or may not form a series. Don’t make an epic unless you can handle it. Shame.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SvarunEntertainment - 31 August 2017 02:29 AM

To say that I hate episodic titles is an understatement. What I HATE EVEN MORE is that this one game doesn’t point it out in the title. For example, I waited until Ep. 5 to play The Dream Machine (only to find out that I have to wait for SIXTH, damnit); I would never pick up a game until it is finished (and that’s how I see episodic titles, as works-in-progress) and this one tricked me into it. More so, I checked the website - no news of Ep. 2 being in the works. What gives?...

Why did you buy Dream Machine after the 5th ep rather than say the 3rd or 4th? There was never any indication the 5th would be the last.

Joined 2015-01-11

PM

Oscar - 31 August 2017 03:12 AM

Why did you buy Dream Machine after the 5th ep rather than say the 3rd or 4th? There was never any indication the 5th would be the last.

I wasn’t in the loop for some time and thus not informed, saw the graphics and thought it’s cool, also, five is a well-rounded number - I assumed that’s it.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

I finished “I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream” and I confirmed that I missed the simplicity and exotic puzzle crafting from the 90s. I can’t play a lot of classic point & click games in a row because it drains me a bit, I confess, but the genre is definitely my favorite.
Since I didn’t login for more or less two weeks I also finished “Dreamfall Chapters: The Final Cut” and am now on my second gameplay (just to experience other choices). I just don’t have enough words to qualify and explain why this is the paradigm of an exciting history and why the focus on social issues along with a subliminal humor felt so important to me. I never saw something similar in a videogame, where sometimes things get a bit flat. From the Dreamfall series I just skipped the second game, the one that has almost the same name as “The Longest Journey” (anybody knows why?) because of the bad reviews it got at the time. I also didn’t have an ok PC to play it and I didn’t bother.

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Kurufinwe - 25 August 2017 03:33 PM

The much-maligned rubber ducky puzzle might be the worst of the lot, but it’s hardly out of place among all the bad puzzles.

I can’t say I agree with you fully but I also felt some of the obstacles you felt. Mind that I just talk out of memory I had from the game, since I think I never replayed it or could have done it but didn’t finish. One thing is certain, this game had the power to impress and to become a classic in the genre but it also had the ability to inflict trauma, and the damn rubber duck puzzle defied all the logic in the world. God dammit I so remember (not exactly the solution) but what I felt when I went through it and that wasn’t good at all! AngryPan  Hope that in your replays you did remember what to do and didn’t get stuck for hours Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

hodepine - 31 August 2017 07:29 AM

From the Dreamfall series I just skipped the second game, the one that has almost the same name as “The Longest Journey” (anybody knows why?) because of the bad reviews it got at the time. I also didn’t have an ok PC to play it and I didn’t bother.

????
There are only three games in the series, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters, though Dreamfall also have the subtitle “The Longest Journey” to emphasize that it is a sequel to The Longest Journey, so I assume you mean Dreamfall?

Dreamfall and Chapters is basically one story divided into two games, Dreamfall literally ends on a cliffhanger, so I would imagine it would be hard to fully understand the story in Chapters without having played the first? Whereas Dreamfall is more of a normal sequel to TLJ.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Iznogood - 31 August 2017 09:16 AM
hodepine - 31 August 2017 07:29 AM

From the Dreamfall series I just skipped the second game, the one that has almost the same name as “The Longest Journey” (anybody knows why?) because of the bad reviews it got at the time. I also didn’t have an ok PC to play it and I didn’t bother.

????
There are only three games in the series, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters, though Dreamfall also have the subtitle “The Longest Journey” to emphasize that it is a sequel to The Longest Journey, so I assume you mean Dreamfall?

Yes! For some reason the name “Dreamfall: The Longest Journey” didn’t sound like a sequel to me (at first) but as another version of the TLJ game. That’s why I kept forgetting it. But yes, now I know it’s Zöe’s story. I got a lot of insight via Dreamfall Chapters and now I’m curious about playing it too.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Last day of June

Its made by Shadowofthedamned and Murasaki baby guy and his team
Wasn’t expecting something so different
Its less pretentious than Virginia (there are no dialogues in this game too) but there is more control and simple puzzles, but its half 3rd person walking sim
You need to solve routine tasks somewhat similar to FSR, since Dev has worked with Suda in Sotdamned i dont know if FSR groundhog loop was inspired

In any case , visuals are striking and art is really good, presentation sucks you in
Its another major step in narrative storytelling, something unique , told creatively from aural/visual standpoint and emotional hook

Somewhat reminded me of Tothemoon too

There are some issues with artstyle like Saturation and too much Bloom, still a must play at discounted price for lovers of artistic narrative games

8/10

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top