• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sega Dreamcast

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lucien21 - 05 July 2017 03:07 PM

I had a dreamcast back in the day.

The one mentioned above were great.

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue 1/2
Metropolis Street Racer
Crazy Taxi
Soul Caliber
Ikaruga
RE: Code Veronica
Virtua Tennis

I quite liked Head Hunter

It was a good system that was before it’s time, but it was also ruined by Piracy. It had the easiest hacked security ever. All you needed was a boot disk, no soldering or chips needed.

head hunter was pretty amazing I agree. they hyped it up as a metal gear solid killer, It was not that but a very fun game none the less. I loved the fmv newscasters in the game

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Rez is really fun to play, the last area is awesome.
Cosmic Smash is a pretty interesting little game with an incredible aesthetic.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

nomadsoul - 05 July 2017 11:54 AM

Rival Schools project Justice
D2
Illbleed
Sf3 3rd stike
Capvssnk2
Berserk

I tried Illbleed and my goodness how do you play this game? I get you have to identify traps before you trip them, but how can you tell what causes what? Door=smell because there is a pool of blood behind it? How would I know that, and ever after I’ve seen it, how do I know which door it is?

Also, do you recommend the fighting games for people not familiar with the genre? Like to mess around with the single-player stuff?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I had one. Can’t recommend the Resident Evil games - Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis highly enough. They are stunning, best RE games in their day. Space Channel 5 Was strangely fun on it, as well as Dead Or Alive 2.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I have one and have had one since shortly after 9/9/99. A friend of my dad’s was a property manager. A tenant was evicted or something like that and left his Dreamcast in the apartment. We ended up with it. A sad story that lead to endless happy hours.

Fondest memories are playing Soul Calibur with my little sisters. They were maybe 6 and 8 at the time, I was probably 12-13. The sweetest, most innocent little girls, duking it out as a blade-whip wielding dominatrix and an impossibly bosomy ninja in a skin tight body suit with two swords. So cute. Maybe I’ll post a picture of it later.

Other great games:

Virtua Tennis—me and my dad (and a couple of friends) got really competitive over this. I have a little arcade in the back of my store with a couple of retro consoles, and this one is always in the Dreamcast. I just love the thwok thwok sounds of the ball hitting the racket. Kafelnikov to serve!

Crazy Taxi - My first exposure to the Offspring and Bad Religion (unless they were in a Tony Hawk game first?). Still a killer game. Played it until I could go almost indefinitely, class S license all the time!

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 - It was good on PS1, but the Dreamcast version was in another league.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica - I really enjoy this game. Enough that I’ve started it over like 3 times, and each time I make it halfway through before some big life event keeps me from playing it for long enough that I feel like I have to start all over again when I decide to give it another go.

Sonic Adventure, the first level - Even a diehard PS1 defender couldn’t deny it after watching the intro and getting chased by the shark: Next gen had arrived. And the subsequent levels demonstrated all of the design flaws that next gen would have to iron out over its lifespan.

Jet Grind/Set Radio - Originally didn’t get into it, despite the theme being spot on for my inline skate obsessed self. Then it clicked, and man, what a *great* game. Still nothing like it to this day.

The House of the Dead 2 - This and Crazy Taxi more than anything felt like bringing the arcade home. Tekken did this for me in the last generation, and it was a great feeling. My brothers and I became masters of this game. That means both being able to complete it on just a couple of credits, and being able to act out all the dialogue right along with the characters. And any other time, whether we are playing the game or not. Also, the Original Mode was great for replay value.

All other light gun games - What can I say, I’m a sucker for them, and the DC had quite a few good ones.

Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage - So gory! So cinematic! Such a great hack ‘n slash beat ‘em up, with a pretty good story to boot. If only it had multiplayer, right?

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - I am not very good at it, but I *love* this 2D fighter. Admittedly though, I only recently got into it. Totally missed it on the Dreamcast, because I was too busy playing Soul Calibur and the Marvel vs Capcom games.

NBA 2K and 2k2- As a total basketball nut (in real life), I used to play basketball games a *ton*. This was, up until this point and for several years to come, the best one by far. Back then it was photo realistic. I remember seeing it for the first time on a tv screen from across the room and, not knowing a basketball game could look so good, mistook it for an actual televised NBA game.

Zombie Revenge - Okay, not a great game. Don’t buy it for more than like $15. But as a rental it was a really fun beat ‘em up style game to play with friends, with more amazing House of the Dead style dialogue!

Space Channel 5 - Oolala!

Sega Bass Fishing - This is a great arcade game that anyone can pick up and play. So simple and dumb, it’s amazing how much time I spent with it. But it’s got that Sega arcade game magic that makes you want to keep coming back!

Hydro Thunder - Holy smokes, my brother and I spent *ages* (that’s Sega backwards Smile ) trying to beat each other’s times on these tracks, shaving maybe one or two precious seconds at a time. Such satisfying physics and aesthetics, such a great announcer voice -Best time so far!-. Love this game. Along with Virtua Tennis, it’s on constant rotation in the Dreamcast at work.

Okay, there are others…I know I’m leaving out some stone cold classics (For the last time. Where. Is. The Mirror?) but these are the ones that I am the warmest and fuzziest about, off the top of my head. Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Man I *LOVED* the Sega Dreamcast and still have it along with quite a few games.  Some of the games go for a decent amount of $$$ to collectors.  My friend and I were obsessed with the baseball game MLB2K1 or whatever it was we must have easily put 100+ hours into it.  The pitcher / batter was just a lot of fun though pitcher definitely had the advantage.  Many games would finish 1-0 or 2-1.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I still have my Dreamcast as well and play it from time to time. I think skies of Arcadia is one of the best Japanese role-playing games of all time and I love playing grandia 2 on it as well.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Ooooh Grandia! Yeah, that was a really good DC game—the best version of it, I think. But…good as Grandia 2 is (and 3 is pretty good ,too!), the first game on PS1 (or Saturn if you’re really cool) was the best in the series, I think. Clunky but magical.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 June 2021 04:42 PM

I still have my Dreamcast as well and play it from time to time. I think skies of Arcadia is one of the best Japanese role-playing games of all time and I love playing grandia 2 on it as well.

Should have kept mine. However, once it got old I sold it off. Booo Hooooo - so many great games. Could not stop playing Unreal Tournament on it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2020-01-21

PM

Adv_Lvr - 24 June 2021 10:18 PM
Jdawg445 - 22 June 2021 04:42 PM

Should have kept mine. However, once it got old I sold it off. Booo Hooooo - so many great games. Could not stop playing Unreal Tournament on it.

Heart

Agreed! I still play UT on the Dreamcast. Love it on PC, but I spent so much time mastering the Dreamcast pad controls that it’s my preferred way to play. Played a lot online too. I think the Quake 3 servers have been restored, along with a few others like Alien Front, but not Unreal.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2022-03-31

PM

Heavy Metal: Geomatrix

A fairly unknown fighter with a heavy metal soundtrack.

pixel artist, working on an adventure game - https://twitter.com/pixel_turkey | https://pixelturkey.com

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Too bad the Dreamcast didn’t have a DVD drive. It could have been epic!

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Another cool game I had, which was a Japanese import was called headhunter.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Seaman - enough said.  Dreamcast was uniquely epic in its own way

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2020-01-21

PM

pixel_turkey - 31 March 2022 10:44 PM

Heavy Metal: Geomatrix

A fairly unknown fighter with a heavy metal soundtrack.

And a great, great, game at that. Kevin Eastman signed my copy, and I haven’t taken it out of the case since haha. I now have a second copy for playing.

Would love to see this one ported to modern systems, but due to all the licensing, and the fact that like you said, it’s relatively unknown, I doubt we’ll ever get it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top