• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sega Dreamcast

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, Sega’s last hurrah, a revolutionary console that came before it was time, packed with visionary games that bombed because of the last of support. At least that’s what I read because I never owned one and was never really interested. Anyone had one?

Got a cheap Dreamcast on the way, mostly to play Shemnue, assuming the console will work (big maybe…) what other games should I look out for?
Or best to play both Shenmues and just sell it again?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I have to dig if these came to ps2

But if you have no issues of Jank of those days

Rival Schools project Justice
D2
Illbleed
Sf3 3rd stike
Capvssnk2
Berserk

Sold DC very late because Sf2 and CvS2 were main party game among friends
Ps2 and psx had memory issue something that it never rendered 2D fighting games properly
or as good as DC, also DC had faster loading

edit

Shenmue remakes are very high probability

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Definitely have to see D2, going to look into fighters, maybe Skies of Arcadia.

I have a feeling the remakes are going to be announced the day I hook up the DC Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 05 July 2017 08:53 AM

So, Sega’s last hurrah, a revolutionary console that came before it was time, packed with visionary games that bombed because of the last of support. At least that’s what I read because I never owned one and was never really interested. Anyone had one?

Got a cheap Dreamcast on the way, mostly to play Shemnue, assuming the console will work (big maybe…) what other games should I look out for?
Or best to play both Shenmues and just sell it again?

Besides the Shenmues, the highest priority game is Skies of Arcadia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skies_of_Arcadia

Chu Chu Rocket by Sonic Team is also great. It has one of the most catchy commercials:

If you want weird, Seaman is out there, your fish with a human head virtual pet video game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaman_(video_game)

Samba De Amigo is an amazing music/rhythm game in the spirit of Parappa

Jet Set Radio is very unique, although they re-released it on Playstation at some point.

There is Rez, from Q entertainment, the developer of lumines and Meteos.

Ikaruga is a great shoot’em up, and considered by critics as one of the top ones ever made.

Fighting games, there are Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Soul Calibur.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 July 2017 01:46 PM

Definitely have to see D2, going to look into fighters, maybe Skies of Arcadia.

I have a feeling the remakes are going to be announced the day I hook up the DC Smile

Gamescom update next month close enough Tongue

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I had a dreamcast back in the day.

The one mentioned above were great.

Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue 1/2
Metropolis Street Racer
Crazy Taxi
Soul Caliber
Ikaruga
RE: Code Veronica
Virtua Tennis

I quite liked Head Hunter

It was a good system that was before it’s time, but it was also ruined by Piracy. It had the easiest hacked security ever. All you needed was a boot disk, no soldering or chips needed.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Before you go on shopping spree make sure whats only on DC
Some great cult hits like Ikaruga and Jetset are on PC and 360 too
Save your money if they aren’t def versions

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Seaman sounds interesting but needing the microphone thingie might make it too expensive. Same thing with Samba with the maracas but will look for them.
Chuchu Rocket is pretty cheap so definitely getting that one. Also Virtua Tennis and a Sega basketball game.
Some of the other games seem wildly expensive

Lucien21 - 05 July 2017 03:07 PM

no soldering or chips needed.

Lol, that brings back memories of ruined PS1s or opening up a PS2 with a plastic thingie Smile

nomadsoul - 06 July 2017 08:13 AM

Before you go on shopping spree make sure whats only on DC
Some great cult hits like Ikaruga and Jetset are on PC and 360 too
Save your money if they aren’t def versions

I have Jet Set but doesn’t feel very right in the Vita… Ikaruga is on Steam and pretty cheap. Dreamcast version looks like a collector’s item judging by the prices.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

It was a good system that was before it’s time, but it was also ruined by Piracy. It had the easiest hacked security ever. All you needed was a boot disk, no soldering or chips needed.

PS2 was the same. You just needed to remove the cover, and use an alternate cover casing that was sold with the boot disk. I think, there was some type of security if you clicked the Eject button, so you bypassed it by just dropping the DVD in from the top.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 06 July 2017 01:52 PM

PS2 was the same. You just needed to remove the cover, and use an alternate cover casing that was sold with the boot disk. I think, there was some type of security if you clicked the Eject button, so you bypassed it by just dropping the DVD in from the top.

In the slim PS2 it was easier, the fat PS2 was trickier where you had to use plastic hoox to open the horizontal tray and swap the disks after inserting the boot disk.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dreamcast arrived and works!
Now need a memory card (forgot those…), a SCART cable (just by the menu the icture looks bad) and some games…

The controller is huge!

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

wilco - I *loved* the Sega Dreamcast back in the day.  Great system, decent graphics for the time, big library of games including quite a few highly rated ones.

Yes, those controllers are big ha ha.  I got used to them pretty quick though and learned to like them.  I still have my system and all peripherals and games.  Quite a lot of stuff, just don’t feel inclined to get rid of it ya know?  Nostalgia and all that.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

as others have said skies of arcadia is a great game one of my fav jrpgs along with grandia 2, Also just for fun with friends crazy taxi, power stone and DOA2.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 07 July 2017 05:15 PM

The controller is huge!

For some unexplained reason its THE best dpad controller for 2D fighters
Like utter perfection
Get Sf3 3rd strike and CvS2
Best 2D fighters along with original sf2

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

For now I got Chuchu rocket but still waiting for the cable and the memory card.
I don’t understand anything about that game… The Dreamcast reading the cds is incredible noisy, hope it’s not dying…

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The DreamCast is amazing, and amazingly loud. There’s probably nothing wrong with your one.

Most of the usual suspects were already named, like Shenmue and Crazy Taxi, but I haven’t seen Bangai-O yet! Best version of the game! Okay, I didn’t play much of Missile Fury, but it just lacked the fun-factor of the DC version.

And if you can figure out a way to play JP-only games (patches?), I’d say that the four Sakura Taisen games, Rent-A-Hero, Roommania #203 and Segagaga are must-plays too. Especially the latter, as it’s a hilarious game (it’s a SEGA simulator where you need to save Sega and the DreamCast as the game industry is about to be conquered by a company that is Sony in all but name.)

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top