• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gaming Desktop PC Advise

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Hey guys, I’m planning on my building my first gaming PC this year but I’m a complete newbie and would like some advise and assistance. I’ve been debating between getting an already built gaming PC, a gaming laptop of even just a PS4, but because of the price/performace and the fact that I always dreamed with a gaming PC and even building it myself, plus the wider game library, I already settled on that decision (sort of, there’s still advantages of owning a console that I’m considering, like not worrying about newer released games not running or having to tweak them every time plus exclusives)

Now the problem is figuring out my budget/needs scale, that is figuring out what my actual gaming needs are and what I’m willing to spend. I would say the budget is from $400 to maybe $600. I’m not a hard core gamer and I’m not interested in the latest and greatest technology, just to be able to play at high resolutions (probably 1080p) with no problems. I don’t play too many AAA, graphically demanding titles. The only two that I can think right now that I would like to be able to play are Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3 and huge backlog of older titles that I wasn’t able to play before like Alan Wake. Other than that I play mostly adventure games and indie titles. However, I’m interested in future-proofing and not having to upgrade the PC every-time a new demanding game comes out. (For example I would like to be able to play Mass Effect Andromeda next year).

Now, I have done some research already and I think I have an idea of builds that fits my budget but is hard to settle on something that would last a long time and be able to play demanding games when I need it. I’m basically looking for something that can play some AAA demanding games and future-proofing without breaking the bank. I have looked at some options like Intel i3 6100 or a Amd Fx 6300 with a budget graphics like GTX 950- 960 or something like that. I have also looked at something more mid-level like i5 6500, with graphics GTX 1060 3gb or RX 480. But I have also considered a GTX 1060 6GB that is more expensive and would cross the $600 threshold but maybe would be more future-proof as more demanding games come along

What do you guys think I should strive for given my needs? If I go low budget, like in the 400-500 range, should I be concerned about games not working in 1-2 years, or would I be fine considering that I don’t care about 4K or maxing out absolutely everything and I mostly play adventures and just a few single-player AAA? Or should I make the investment in a more middle-end build that would last me longer? Are there any builds or graphic cards that you guys recommend or also any good websites where I can find good advise or information.

Thanks

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

These days, especially at lower price points theres not a big financial benefit to building yourself. Future proofing just doesnt exist because we dont know whats going to happen in the future to change the standard. But if i was going to get a prebuilt that i didnt want to upgrade for a couple years at least, i would get something along these lines: http://www.digitalstorm.com/vanquish-5.asp

At 980 youre paying near what youd pay to build it. And i would expect to get 5ish years out of it with some upgrades like ram.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

A friend recently bought a new gaming PC and he says that he can play almost everything on ultra, here are his specs:

SSD Kingston UV400 120GB SATA 3 2.5inch suv400s37/120g
Segotep Raynor Power 650W rp650
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 st1000dm003
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 memory
Asus H110M-K Socket 1151 h110m-k motherboard
Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Socket 1151 CPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB GDDR5 192bit GPU

It cost him around 700 euros.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Thanks for the replies! It’s funny how both builds are kind of what I’m looking for right now, I’m just not sure if it’s too on the high-end side considering my needs (mostly adventure games and only a few AAA in 1080p), but it seems that’s the perfect build looking at the future and maybe for the chance to try VR.

About the VANQUISH PC, well from what I’ve seen there IS quite a difference with pre-builds because looking at the specs they use pretty much what I’ve been looking at (i5-6500 / GTX 1060 6GB) but by choosing my own parts I can get it down to $600 - $700, but maybe there’s other things and costs that I’m overlooking and at the end it may be beneficial to get it pre-built?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top