• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Horror Games Thread

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

nickherc - 04 November 2014 02:36 PM
Foinikas - 04 November 2014 12:51 PM
nickherc - 04 November 2014 01:26 AM

Please do. And thanks for the recommendations. Recommended games look awesome.
I also don’t like jump scares, as you said, cheap trick. One of the main reasons I don’t find new “horror” films scary.

Ok start watching! These are my favorite ones! Tongue

Top 10 Scariest Games by GT countdown

Top Scariest Gaming moments parts 1 and 2:

(some spoilers here)

IGN 13 Scariest games (Halloween special)

Top Ten Scariest Free Games

Top 10 Scariest Video Game Environments:

Also:

NOTICE: Some good games are missing from these lists because they hadn’t been released at the time,so if you don’t see Amnesia the Dark Descent or Outlast or Alien Isolation,don’t get angry Tongue

Wow, thank you for this Grin. I just saw on tv today, you burn like 100 calories watching scary movie (tension etc), now imagine how many you burn while playing horror games Grin. In a way, it’s kinda healthy Grin.

Watch those videos and tell me what you think about them Tongue

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

No Shattered Memories? Shame on you

My favorite SH game and one of my favorite games of all time - quite scary.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Anyone heard or played Michigan, was cool back in the day.

Suda51’s first localized game and music by Masafumi Takada

Some overlooked gems,

Rule of Rose, Ghosthunter, Primal, ShadowTower Abyss, Obscure1/2, imabikiso (ps3),
Dreadout (PC) first part was really promising .

Suda’s another cult hit, Moonlight Syndrome (is being Fan translated).

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve actually considered whether or not I should get Michigan: Report from Hell. The price is rather high though. How good is it?

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Henke - 07 November 2014 04:26 PM

I’ve actually considered whether or not I should get Michigan: Report from Hell. The price is rather high though. How good is it?

I reckon its not worthy of more than 15$.
You basically play as camera man, covering events as you go through.
Typical old School , so i don’t know if it has aged well to pay steep price.

Was creative take on Horror for its time.

Get HauntingGround as better alternative, i think it was released as PS2Classic on PS3.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-09-11

PM

I don’t think anyone mentioned:

- Forbidden Siren (PS2) Japanese survival horror where you can temporarily “sightjack” the enemies’ vision. Can be quite scary as the player can’t move when “sightjacking”

- Haunting Ground (PS2) Japanese clocktower style horror game. Really nice level design and quite tense game overall with a lot of hide and seek. (you also can control a dog!)
Edit: just noticed nomadsoul mentioned it in the post above, sorry!

- Cold Fear (PS2, XBOX, PC) Resident Evil lookalike on a boat. Not the best game ever but if you want an old school survival horror, it might scratch that itch.

(having worked on Obscure 1 and 2, I’d recommand them if you want a popcorn horror game, not if you want super scary horror!)

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Start watching,it’s 4 videos long if I’m not mistaken,worth watching:

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 2061

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

My favourite is System Shock 2. So much was invested into that complex game, every kind of horror. From ghosts and cheap scares to psychological games with the main antagonist, personal tragedies, atmosphere of complete isolation and a nightmarish trip by the end. You are always on your own - there’s no guidance, no fighting your way through, lots of management and decision making. They really made everything work against you.

Original Thief trilogy also offered plenty of dark atmosphere and creepy moments.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

dkm - 08 November 2014 05:20 PM

I don’t think anyone mentioned:

- Forbidden Siren (PS2) Japanese survival horror where you can temporarily “sightjack” the enemies’ vision. Can be quite scary as the player can’t move when “sightjacking”

- Haunting Ground (PS2) Japanese clocktower style horror game. Really nice level design and quite tense game overall with a lot of hide and seek. (you also can control a dog!)
Edit: just noticed nomadsoul mentioned it in the post above, sorry!

- Cold Fear (PS2, XBOX, PC) Resident Evil lookalike on a boat. Not the best game ever but if you want an old school survival horror, it might scratch that itch.

(having worked on Obscure 1 and 2, I’d recommand them if you want a popcorn horror game, not if you want super scary horror!)

Yup played all of Siren games, disturbing to say the least.
Faces on chest and Chicken with human heads….NOPE.
It was made into Japanese movie too like Fatalframe.

Good to know you worked on Obscure, fond memories, using bat to smash glass and opening doors, plant based walkers, game had B movie Horror vibe with some unique elements.

Loved it.

Echo Night: Beyond was best in Echo night series, made by FromSoftware.

@ Doom

Try Beyond if you like Space horrors.

Other Gems,

Countdown vampires PSX = Vampire B movie goodness, in RE style.
Overblood PSX = One of my Fav.
Extermination (Dreamcast) = Action horror.
Illbleed DC
Devil Inside PC

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

nomadsoul - 08 November 2014 10:24 PM

Can’t say I’m a big fan of this particular genre. The only other space horror I enjoyed was Doom 3. Dead Space or Aliens vs Predator didn’t work for me. Not sure about Beyond. Is it that anime-style visual novel? I think I’ll pass in that case…

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Doom - 09 November 2014 07:42 AM
nomadsoul - 08 November 2014 10:24 PM

Can’t say I’m a big fan of this particular genre. The only other space horror I enjoyed was Doom 3. Dead Space or Aliens vs Predator didn’t work for me. Not sure about Beyond. Is it that anime-style visual novel? I think I’ll pass in that case…

Not at all, its exploration and puzzle heavy adventure game, with feeling of total isolation.

There is not much horror other than loneliness and suffocation which it emulates
pretty well. It sinks you in with time and will frustrate you with TOO REAL feeling of Space.
You also get to explore Moon. Story is revealed by Ghosts.

Small and accurate review to fill you in with details.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh, then I confused it with something else. This actually looks quite interesting and atmospheric. I will check it out, thanks!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Forbidden Siren is definitely one to at least look at. It’s not the best for design as it fails to tell you what you need to do sometimes and the sub objectives (which need to be completed) can be obscure like putting a towel in a fridge for another character to use later on. Having said that though, it’s a very twisted and a unsettling world to be in. Things like a couple looking for their daughter only to find her banging on the windows from the outside trying to get in. You’d think they’d be happy to see her, but they’re horrified as the camera pans round to see she’s now changed into a horrifing shibito.

I don’t think it’s active now, but the website alone was scary.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 11 November 2014 01:08 PM

Forbidden Siren is definitely one to at least look at. It’s not the best for design as it fails to tell you what you need to do sometimes and the sub objectives (which need to be completed) can be obscure like putting a towel in a fridge for another character to use later on. Having said that though, it’s a very twisted and a unsettling world to be in. Things like a couple looking for their daughter only to find her banging on the windows from the outside trying to get in. You’d think they’d be happy to see her, but they’re horrified as the camera pans round to see she’s now changed into a horrifing shibito.

I don’t think it’s active now, but the website alone was scary.

I dont know which site you experienced, but as far as i can remember, there was one viral site, with one of the in game characters talking to you through MSN messenger (basically a BOT).
Really cleverly done, esp at that time, he had clever auto responses but at first
encounter i thought he was real guy from Sony to troll us.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I remember something like that as well now you mention it. Think they were separate things mind.

I’ve found a mirror of the site. One of the best ways to show a product I’ve seen. It’s basically like a well made point & click flash game: http://siren.lima-city.de/eu-site1/index.php

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top