• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Luhr28 - 11 August 2020 07:04 AM
Origami - 10 August 2020 02:25 AM

Finished Tangle Tower

8.3/10. Would’ve been higher if motivation of culprit was a bit clearer and some plot developments the game could’ve done without.

The modus operandi for the murder is a classic locked-room murder mystery solution. Whole investigation leading up to the finale was also great. Script and characters, music top-notch. I swear I feel like there is one song in the game that was inspired by the VN house in fata morgana.

How does Detective Grimoire compare? Worth visiting for TT fans if they haven’t played it?

I asked exact same question and it was recommended to me here. I looked up reviews on the first game and read the mystery is not as good. On the other hand, it’s shorter. Think I will skip.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished “Tales of the Borderlands” just loved it. Love playing the TTG adventure games. Many of them are very hard to find nowadays. It’s amazing to think about how many adventure games they put out in such a short period of time. Several of their releases are true classics of the genre.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry.

I wasn’t expecting much of the game, but lo and behold, it is actually a very good adventure and a solid Larry game. It does prove you can take the old Sierra IP’s and still use them to make good games that stand on their own.

—edit-
My longer review for the game: https://bit.ly/344yTwl

-end edit—

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 15 August 2020 01:42 PM

I just finished “Tales of the Borderlands” just loved it. Love playing the TTG adventure games. Many of them are very hard to find nowadays. It’s amazing to think about how many adventure games they put out in such a short period of time. Several of their releases are true classics of the genre.

Heart

Yeah I understand what you are saying about how they put out this awesome set of games very quickly.

I heard rumors before they closed down however that their developers were just over worked to the point of leaving en masse etc.

I don’t have any like proof to back this up that’s just what I heard, and it makes sense considering how quickly TWD was made, then Mincecraft story mode, batman, borderlands etc.

Now most of the gameplay I’ve seen of TTG, I was not impressed by, so at the time I thought it made sense.  But it’s still a bit suspicious how fast some of their releases occurred.

I remember when I worked at the game store, we had a million copies of Minecraft story mode, whatever the crap that it is, but we couldn’t keep even one copy in the whole store of regular minecraft XD

So if I were to try one of these TTG games, where would you recommend I start?
Like what is the TTG magnum opus?!
I got a batman game and walking dead game on humble bundle not too long back.  I’m not really a comic book guy, and I loved watching the walking dead until probably the end of season 1 on tv

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Walking Dead, season 1 is their best game. I would start there. Other excellent games are The Wolf Among Us and Tales of the Borderlands. The Walking Dead Final Season is a must play also.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

After the raving review here, and the mentioned short length of a mere half-hour, I got Florence today, a 2018 iOS/Android game that was released for PC this year.

It’s a charming game that obviously works best with a touch screen - using a mouse is noticeably less elegant. It’s actually more of an interactive graphic novel than an adventure, its easy minigames being just a way to make you play through the emotions of the story.
It’s stylish and subtle with its use of colour, and has an absolutely beautiful soundtrack that perfectly underscores the feelings that the game shakes loose in the player.

It’s rare when a simple love story can move me to tears in such a short span of time, but Florence did in less than 40 minutes. And it still left me with a smile. A short and sweet game!

Florence - 4/5 *

I probably would have given it 4.5 if it were a bit longer, but ironically, if it actually were longer, I’m not so sure I would have gotten the game in the first place… Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Awesome!  Then I guess the Walking Dead is bumped up on my backlog list.

I’ve had an eye on that “wolf Among Us” game for a while, but I just wasn’t sure, so I’ll try to get that physical on playstation.

And also it’s kind of funny because I like the idea of borderlands, but I find it maddeningly difficult.  I always play the magic girl single player but I die a lot!  With all that said, I love the setting and characters, so maybe I will be more able to enjoy borderlands more from the TTG perspective.

this morning before work I beat Mage’s Initiation Reign of Elements!

I thought it was pretty good, and if you enjoy QFG or Heroine’s Quest then I definitely recommend Mages Initiation as well.

Looks like it might have some replay value as I don’t think I solved every quest in the game, and when I looked at some of the trophies it looks like I might need to play as a different element mage to get some of them.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I have this funny feeling that the puzzles won’t be immensely different with a different element mage.

The puzzles are okay, but a little easy.  I did get stuck once but it’s just because there was a glare on my screen and I couldn’t see clearly.  There is a little bit of pixel hunting in this game, and that’s not great, but combat is fine, the characters and setting are interesting and make sense.  And overall it feels like an adventure.

My biggest complaint is the voice acting for d’arc.  And the developers must be wise to that complaint because in the menu is specifically says “Slide voice volume far left for off.”

I really don’t understand what happened with D’arc’s voice actor.  I assume he was given the direction to be somewhat smug, and that makes sense considering the story and the attitudes of mages vs regular people, but the inflection of his voice is infuriating.

It doesn’t sound how any one speaks in real life, but also it’s not endearing in a way like from a KQ game.

The voice actor puts emphasis in weird places, and constantly inflects up.

BUT WHY?!

Surely after hearing him read a few lines like that, they could have said, ya know, drop that cadence, and try something else.

Hell the other voice actors, in my opinion give a much better performance! 

the twist in the plot is a bit easy to see coming, but that’s not a huge issue because they still subvert expectations.

Lastly, there’s a few fun references to other media here like the “Adventuring Cap” that is in Jonis’ hall.

I recommend it if you like similar RPG/adventure games, but I would advise you to wait til it goes on sale.

I put 12 hours into it altogether I think, and I really would come back to it each day ready to bring a fresh perspective to a problem I’d been stuck on.

Oh I almost forgot.  The RPG mechanics are there to allow you to spend points however you want, but I can’t really tell that there’s much to really decide.

I just put 1 point in each stat each time I leveled up…

I suppose you could dump all your points into one stat if you wanted, but there’s just very little reason to be better at one stat as opposed to another.
Sadly, I don’t see much reason for the stats to be there at all!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Celebreon - 18 August 2020 01:26 PM

The voice actor puts emphasis in weird places, and constantly inflects up.

BUT WHY?!

Surely after hearing him read a few lines like that, they could have said, ya know, drop that cadence, and try something else.

I don’t know about this specific case, but in many indie adventures voice actors are actually freelance talents who offer their services on voice actor websites. And the process can be something like this:
- developers browse voice actors and their short voice samples
- they contact some actors, and ask them to deliver a line or two that they give (in other words, virtual audition)
- some person is selected, they send the script and some background information to that person
- the voice actor(s) record the lines and send files to developers in exchange for money.

So there’s no such situation where any voice actors and directors would be in a same room, or working simultaneously. And that brings some problems, like voice actors more or less having to use their own judgement on how to interpret some lines. Especially if they don’t have the full script to read, just their own lines.

Depending on the situation, emphasising some parts can be a right or wrong thing to do.

For instance, the script has a line “what are you doing here”:

WHAT are you doing here?
What are YOU doing here?
What are you doing HERE?

Which one you choose will change the emphasis of the presumed surprise from having some unexpected action going on, to having some unexpected person, to having that all happening in some unexpected place.

All could be correct, but in a random context, most likely only one makes sense.

Again, I have no idea if that’s what’s happening with the game you’re describing, but that would be my first guess anyway.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I understand what you are saying, but because almost every line in the whole game is read with the same cadence and inflection on EACH line, I can’t help but assume that also the audition lines are similarly stilted. You would really have to hear it to understand.
Also like I said, the developers clearly included a “how to remove talkies” message on the option screen for a reason.  And like, I tried to make clear (I did a poor job) the rest of the characters VA is fine.  It’s just the protagonist I have issue with.  And comeon.. if you voice the protagonist, it becomes the most important voice doesn’t it?

I actually came back here to post only that I beat AER memories of old, and while it’s not a traditional adventure game, it certain has a focus on exploration, lore, puzzles etc, and I recommend it to anyone that enjoyed JOURNEY or similar games

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I just finished (or more accurately, abandoned) Beyond Blue.

I’m a big proponent of educational adventures, I think there’s a lot of potential and there have been some great games over the years like Odyssey: The Invention of Science and the Dr Brain series from Sierra.

This is not one of those games. There’s some beauty in diving among the sealife, though not nearly as awe-inspiring as ABZU. There’s great acting from some well known actors. And there is good information about marine biology. Unfortunately it doesn’t add up to much. You swim around, scanning everything you can. You’re fed information by audio or occasional video clips, which seem more like excerpts from documentaries. There’s a vague story spread across 10 or so missions, but I gave up around 8.

It’s just really quite boring, to be honest. There’s a sense the devs want us to idolize the scientists we’re playing as, maybe to get us more interested in the science and save the oceans, but it’s not very effective. They come across as unlikable, even arrogant at times. The player never gets the sense they are involved in what is going on. We’re the outsider lucky enough to get a glimpse of this ‘amazing’ research they’re doing, and that’s supposed to be sufficient. In fact, the most interaction in the game is when you return after a dive and get to choose which (generally awful) music is playing in the sub.

“Here, you can pick the music. Let’s leave the thinking to the important people.”

Yeah. Thanks guys…

In the end, if you want to make a good educational game, you need to challenge the player through well-designed puzzles and challenges. Make them accomplish something using their brains and wits, and get them interested in learning more through that process of accomplishment and reward. Dr Brain and Odyssey did a fantastic job at that. Even Ecoquest did it to some degree. This game completely fails at it.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the report on Beyond Blue. I was thinking of getting the game, does not sound like my cup of tea now.

Also, I just finished The Lost Echo and I found it to be quite good. The ending was surprising and I didn’t see it coming at all. I highly recommend the game.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Last night I beat “Worse Than Death” on PS4, although I believe it’s originally an iOS game.

I highly recommend it for a scary horror game night.  There is some stealth action and some puzzles, primarily logic puzzles.

Just real briefly:

Art style is gorgeous retro pixel art that looks good even on a 60 inch 1080p television.

Sound design is effective.  I played it on the surround sound as well, combined with the visual effects, I felt my whole body clenching when I was being hunted, and had to hide.

Story is alright.  There are some things that don’t really get explained, but for the most part, the killer, and the spooky shit is all explained and is satisfying.
Features an LGBTQ+ character, and it’s integral to the plot, and the character is not cliche’ or trite (kinda…).

Gameplay is solid in that it plays like a very simple stealth game.  I think this introduces enough action sequences to keep you from getting bored, but not enough action to repel adventure purists.  Make sure to bring a pen and paper for this one folks because the logic is very clear, but you may need to play with the clues to tease out the solution a couple times.

I recommend it, especially if you can get it cheap on iOS, or if it goes on sale through another platform.  I died A LOT, which is fine, but I only mention that because I spent maybe 5 hours playing this game?  Even less if you are more clever at the puzzles, and better at sneaking past the monster thing.  This could make for a fun horror night with a friend or spouse.

Funny enough, the horrible monster thing is not very visible, and when you get a death or game over, you only see the PC’s shocked face.  You don’t get a gory death scene, or a good look at the monster.  I didn’t count this a negative or positive, but please keep that in mind, as I think there tends to be both sides of horror gaming:
those that want to see the gross scary thing ala’ dead space, and those that prefer it to be implied and let their imagination run wild.  This is more the latter, although there are several scenes of blood and body dismemberment, drug and alcohol use etc which bump the rating up to M/PEGI 17 whatever your regional equivalent is.

The only thing notable about the limited run edition of this game is the brief concept art booklet that also has a few lines from the developers about their process.
In the booklet, it says that originally there would have been more fleshed out cut scenes but that it was purposefully changed to be more a comic book panel style.

I might be able to beat truberbrook today, and so more hot takes coming soon!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve replayed Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe for the first time since playing it in the mid-90s.
The downside of doing that is that it can sometimes hurt some fond memories. The first game got half a point knocked off, and the same has happened here.
Don’t get me wrong, this is a very good and very funny game (especially if you exhaust all dialogues and let bantering NPCs banter away - the Dungeons & Dragons Apartments & Accountants bit is hilarious - but it must have slipped my mind what an utter obnoxious dick Simon really is - far more than in the first game. I always considered him a slightly more snarky version of Guybrush, but it’s much much worse. Especially the interactions with Calypso’s granddaughter Alix had me whinging at the things Simon would say. While it’s only in a couple of glaring moments that stand out, it’s not something I particularly remembered from this game, and definitely not something I really care for.
So what was once an all-time Top 20 game for me, now gets knocked down a peg.
Still had quite a few laughs, though. Tongue

Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe - 4/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

So I finally finished Discworld. As a big fan of the Discworld I really liked this game. Nice graphics, really great voice acting and true to the books. But the puzzles? Come on! I could figure out some of them on my own, but for the most part I had to use a walkthrough. But I enjoyd it nevertheless and would recommend it.

I’ll probably play Discworld II in the not-too-distant future.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

just finished Truberbrook, and I recommend it overall.

It’s a bit on the easy side (by design) even if the puzzles are a bit obtuse.  It’s a mix of primarily inventory-object puzzles with some dialogue puzzles thrown in as well.

The graphics are gorgeous.  It’s looks like someone built a miniature landscape of a mountainous region.

The VA and sound design are solid, the setting is interesting, and the plot is somewhat unique in the world of Adventure gaming, or possibly in story telling as a whole.
The use of esoteric science as a plot device is reminiscent of an HP Lovecraft story (although more scifi, no horror) or even a movie like the sublime “Primer.”

While nothing about it is flashy, it’s still a very cool experience over all.  very charming, and recognizable as a real world, but still askew like a caricature. 

I can’t do a good job explaining why I like it, it’s a nuanced story that just has to be experienced to fully understand.  I thought a bit of KR0 because of the stylishness and even a song that is interacted with similarly to KR0, but thankfully in Truberbrook there is more plot resolution than in KR0.

I paid like 15 bucks american for it, and if you can find it at that price or less then I think you won’t regret it.  I spent between 8 and 12 hours with it I estimate, and that’s on the physical PS4 version which isn’t the best control scheme for a point and click of this nature.  You could probably finish it in less time on a PC for sure, but when I think of other AGs on PS4, this is one of my favorites.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top