• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dark Side of the Moon (DSOM, 1998) “text fix” not working under Win 10

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2021-04-11

PM

There is an old Adventure Gamers thread in the archived section of the forums from back in 2011/2012 that covered a “text fix” developed by a member named Winterfury that allowed the protagonist text responses in the game to be properly displayed when playing the game under Win XP.  The link to that archived thread is :

https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/showthread.php?p=573255?p=573255

The thread above (and a related thread on GameBoomers…) left off with folks trying to play the game under Win 7 but (to the best of my knowledge…) not having luck with the text fix working there.  I’m currently trying to play the game under Win 10 (running in Win XP compatability mode).  The game itself seems to look, sound and run fine to start but when I reach the initial stewardess scene, the text is not visible beneath the video box (although I can click on the text locationand the game responds).

Has anyone else tried (& succeeded) playing DSOM under Win 10 with Winterfury “text fix” success…?

Thanks

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-02-18

PM

Hi.

Please make sure that you’ve placed riched32.dll in the right folder. The file goes in ...\DSOM\bin (notice the \bin part - it’s important as it won’t work otherwise).

mystrw1 - 11 April 2021 12:08 PM

The thread above (and a related thread on GameBoomers…) left off with folks trying to play the game under Win 7 but (to the best of my knowledge…) not having luck with the text fix working there.

It works fine under Windows 7, as was confirmed by one of the members (Aerothorn) in the archived thread you had linked to. I can confirm this too.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2021-04-11

PM

Hello…

First off, THANK YOU!, Winterfury, for your efforts developing a fix for this DSOM operating issue.  It is greatly appreciated…

Second, thank you very much for your response to this Forum post.  I monitored this post for about 5 months with no response and then got side-tracked with other things.  I just finally checked in again on it last week…

I tried to pay close attention to the instructions you included in the old, original posts… my “riched32.dll” is located in the DSOM\bin folder as instructed.  Also, my riched32.dll version is 4.0.993.4, which I believe was also important to the fix.  After reading your response, I changed my compatibility setting from XP to Win 7 (& keeping 16 bit color/640x480/disable optimize./run as admin…) but still no help.  The text still displays “invisible” but “clickable”...

I guess a follow-up question for you would be…have you been able to play DSOM (or Temujin, for that matter…) on a Win 10 laptop (or know of anyone who has ...) with successful text display…?  Please let me know of any other advice you may think of based on my response here…

Thanks again for your time/response & sorry for the delayed response back. (I’ve now selected the “Notify me via Email…” option…)

Happy New Year…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top