• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkGabrielJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s those two little silver levers just below the big power boost lever.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Wish you had told me that before I had to replay half the chapter. Naughty

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I listened to Lyril and I think I understood enough. I got the CD which wasn’t easy and learned about this world’s history and I managed to trapped the birdman so now Lyril trusts me and I can use the lever to go up and down. I went down and I suppose I must find more pieces of the device.

To be continued tomorrow…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 10 October 2020 09:32 PM

Wish you had told me that before I had to replay half the chapter. Naughty

I’m sorry but I didn’t realize that you couldn’t move the elevator lever in the portal room to go back downstairs or I would have mentioned it.

How are you doing with the puzzle box?

Walas,
It really is tough when there aren’t subtitles to read, especially when it comes to Lyril’s speech.  I’m glad you made it through that part.  I had trouble with the garlic-shaped machine because I didn’t click on the twisted lever fast enough after I rang the chimes

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Back on the beach. There were parts of the box puzzle that made no sense to me at all. Either I missed the clues to how to solve it, or, there were none. I admit to using the WT for the last two parts of the solution. And, even knowing the solution, it still made no sense to me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 11 October 2020 04:26 PM

Back on the beach. There were parts of the box puzzle that made no sense to me at all. Either I missed the clues to how to solve it, or, there were none. I admit to using the WT for the last two parts of the solution. And, even knowing the solution, it still made no sense to me.

There were barely any clues. Most of it was random except for the hawk rearrangement puzzle whose picture is found on one of the sheets. Also, (and I found this in the hint section), if you can not figure out how to rearrange the picture, you can leave the hawk rearrangement puzzle four times and come back to it, and a solve me button will show up that will auto solve it for you.

Also the very last pattern is spit out by solving an earlier cube face(circle, triangle , square, and X) although the first 2 steps of that last puzzle are random.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I agree that we knew the solution to the hawk puzzle. It was the last two puzzles I was referring to. I.e. the fish and symbol puzzles. Although in my game, your solution to the symbol puzzle would not have worked since the solutions on my cube were square/circle/square. They do “click” when they are in the correct position, but only if all four symbols are in the correct position. And the permutation/combination calculation for that, assuming that any symbol can be on any row is, at minimum, 576 possible position combinations. You could probably solve it via brute force, but I don’t have that kind of time. The final symbol alignment puzzle solution was given to us as part of an earlier solution, so it wasn’t that difficult. Now I can assume that neither Olga nor Janet went the brute force route. Janet was the computer whiz. So my guess is that she was able to hack the code for the puzzle, just as she did for all the solutions to all the puzzles in Black Dahlia.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Setting the rings with the symbols is really not as difficult as it appears.  All you have to do is line up all the same symbols (all circles, say) down the front until they click and part of the container opens, then try the 3 other symbols the same way until you get another click and more opens.  Only then do you put in the symbols as they were shown in the clue to finish opening the box.  Of course it would have been nice to have more of a clue about it somewhere, but since knowing the possibilities would have been beyond me (and most players) without one, I thought, after fiddling with it a bit, that simplifying my strategy would work.  It was a nice aha moment for me, especially since I didn’t remember that part of it at all.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

In an overused phrase, I think you simply lucked out. There is no clue anywhere that tells you the sequence of symbols horizontally, nor that they have to be the same symbol vertically. The fact that you found this sequence on your own is magical.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Maybe my strategy was stored away in some rarely used memory file from the other times I played the game, but it was nice to discover it again.  The brain does work in mysterious ways. Smile

By the way, I was flipping through Jon Bock’s players handbook for the game a couple of minutes ago and realized that the reason I spelled Liryl <—-that way is because Jon spelled it that way in the text.  Also, the temple’s full name is the Temple of Ancient Machines.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Section 4

Now that most of us are back at Martin’s Roost, you can proceed to your transportation by water.  No, it’s not a yacht, but a very fine watercraft all the same, if you can get it running.  When you do, you will be traveling to two different locations in this section, and eventually the final location of the game in section 5.

The first stop will be the wreck of the ironclad, which should be familiar to you from the note in the bottle and your conversation with Liryl.  The second stop will be the island fortress, and in both places you will retrieve important items.

Before you leave Martin’s Roost, make sure you have the bulb-like item taken from Martin’s desk upstairs.  If you look at the diagram you retrieved from the lower level in the temple, you can see that it’s probably something you will need later.

All right, you seafarers, it’s time to get underway!  Let’s see if we can get through these two locations by Friday, October 16.  STOP when you have done all you can do at the fortress.*  Let me know when you are finished with the shipwreck so I can judge if more time will be needed.

*I’ll be more specific about that when I replay that section myself.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 11 October 2020 08:58 PM

In an overused phrase, I think you simply lucked out. There is no clue anywhere that tells you the sequence of symbols horizontally, nor that they have to be the same symbol vertically. The fact that you found this sequence on your own is magical.

I completely agree. The obvious solution would have been to put the symbols you got from the earlier puzzle, but like you pointed out that doesn’t work until you match the same symbols together a couple of times. I just was trying things randomly, and when I heard the click sound, and the box opening slightly, I tried to match all the other symbols. It makes no logical sense why it is like that, and it is in my opinion a very weakly designed puzzle.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I couldn’t progress too much today, I will try to catch up tomorrow.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I want to make another comment about Liryl. Despite the often tedious nature of the conversations, and the stuttering, the syncing of the voice to animation was extraordinarily good for its time. And the syncing during the hologram sequence was even better. There are recently released games that don’t do it nearly as well.

That said, Lighthouse was written for an English-speaking audience. So I have no idea whether it works as well in any of the translated versions. And, while the lip syncing in Syberia 3 was godawful, it was written in French. Maybe the syncing was better than what I saw in the “translated to English” version. Although with S3, that little technical issue was the least of its problems.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 12 October 2020 12:45 PM

I want to make another comment about Liryl. Despite the often tedious nature of the conversations, and the stuttering, the syncing of the voice to animation was extraordinarily good for its time. And the syncing during the hologram sequence was even better. There are recently released games that don’t do it nearly as well.

So true, I also noticed that while listening to her, they did a great job. The robochicken is also very well-animated - they obviously used rotoscopy, and it looks good.

I’m currently stuck on launching the sub. I think I did everything - opened the gate using the crane, entered the coordinates, fixed the water level, started the engine in the far-away room, but the thing just won’t move. I can’t turn the wheel and the porthole at the lower level only shows some wall structure. I was able to release a metal hand using one of the switches, but it doesn’t help anything. Am I missing something?

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top