• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you wish were remade

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m in the “perfect interface” camp when it comes to GK3, can’t think of a better navigation for a 3D investigative adventure game. Really don’t want to see a remake of this classic, especially after I saw the remake of the first game which felt like a demake. And what’s worse, there is nobody on the horizon capable of such task. GK3 is very complex in terms of game mechanics, writing, atmosphere, they spent 5 years and millions of dollars making it. Even with modern game engines and cheap outsourcers nothing good will come out of this idea. They will certainly try to shorten and simplify the gameplay (murdering my favourite cat-mustache puzzle among other things), maybe to the point of making it a 2D adventure - and the game simply won’t work in 2D.

But I don’t mind remaking the second game, not a great fan of FMV and Dean Erickson Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

subbi - 17 January 2020 09:23 AM

I wouldn’t necessarily be interested in fully remade Gabriel Knight 3…........

Doom - 17 January 2020 10:55 AM

I’m in the “perfect interface” camp when it comes to GK3, can’t think of a better navigation for a 3D investigative adventure game. Really don’t want to see a remake of this classic, especially after I saw the remake of the first game which felt like a demake…..

No, there’s no way I want to see a full remake but perhaps just a slight overhaul of the interface as an alternative to the very nauseous clumsy 3D one - I’m not sure how difficult that would be? but there are games where you can look in all directions via the p n c interface.

Doom - 17 January 2020 10:55 AM

But I don’t mind remaking the second game, not a great fan of FMV and Dean Erickson Smile

Laughing Oh no, no, no, no to a remake of the second game Thumbs Up - it wouldn’t be the same without the portrayal of GK by Dean Erikson & the gorgeous villain Von Glower.  Smile

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I would vote for remaking GK1 and 2 to have the same interface as GK3. How great would it be to be zooming around a fully 3D Munich? Also, Tim Curry is the only one true Gabe Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Agreed, despite the fact that Dean Erickson is maybe not the best actor around, I couldn’t see Gabriel Knight 2 without him and Peter Lucas….it wouldn’t be the same anymore

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Advie - 16 January 2020 07:32 PM

at the Trowe/Lowe LSL1 remake time, i was really excited about the idea (they brought up) of remaking all parts of the series. For some this might be really odd** but for me LSL3 is the best AG of all time, and WOW, i can’t help to imagine how would have LSL2 with all the outdoor scenes (artwork) being remade, man!

LSL1 must be the most remade game in history. The same game has been practically speaking been done five times! Many are actually surprised to find out that Al Lowe was just a guy who made the third version, or second remake of the story. That latest one was a bit weird thing to do. With all those four previous games, two of which were even done by Al Lowe, they thought, “OK, let’s re-re-re-remake it one more time”.

As far as LSL2 goes, there is already a fan remake of that, but it only changes the user interface (and the game engine, obviously) while everything else remains the same.

LSL3 is really the best game in the series, where almost everything was done right. It’s no wonder Al Lowe couldn’t make LSL4 after that. I’d hate to see any remake attempts of LSL3, they can only make it worse.

Vehelon - 16 January 2020 09:58 PM

I’d restrict my choices to games which had terrible interfaces or technical problems.

Rather than remaking them, it’s better to work on some software tools that fix possible issues and can even help with the interface thing. Like ScummVM, ResidualVM, etc. Even DOSBox can help with some things, at least offer speed settings if that is any kind of problem.

Maupiti Island. Excellent concept, it’s just everything else is bad. Including the translation.

It is being remade. The Kickstarter failed, but they claimed they are using some other funding to do it. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn’t.

What would be also good is a slight tweaking of certain “hybrid” adventures which had a small number of action sequences, which make them extremely annoying today. Like the old Star Trek games, the Sierra Inca games, Manhunter, Little Big Adventure, Nightshade.

Again, no need to remake anything.
Those features can be added to third party tools. ScummVM should allow bypassing space battles in Star Trek games, for instance, I believe in the current state of development those battles don’t even work fully yet, but adventure parts do.
It might be a good idea to give developers feedback on that, and ask some kind of override code for action sequences.

mbday630 - 17 January 2020 07:44 AM

Also, I would like a remake of Simon the Sorcerer 3. That arcade/fair part was way too hard. Also, I kept running into walls and got lost too much.

Such issues could be fixed in ResidualVM. Assuming, of course, that someone is interested in trying to make that game available in ResidualVM, which might be too much to ask for, but everything is possible. At least it’s more probable than a remake.

Anyway, Simon 3 could possibly be the exception for me, where I actually would like to see a 2D version of that. Of course, there are no guarantees that the remake would be 2D, if anything, it could be completely 3D as well.

And we can enter a philosophical debate about the game, whether what was released is the original version, or is it a remake of the 2D version that was never finished or released. The game might actually be more playable if they actually had designed it as 3D from the beginning. As it is, it feels weird, because it is a 2D game that has been forced into 3D form.

It’s a kind of pity that the 2D fan remake was never completed, it would at least give some impression on how well the story works in 2D.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 17 January 2020 11:44 AM

No, there’s no way I want to see a full remake but perhaps just a slight overhaul of the interface as an alternative to the very nauseous clumsy 3D one - I’m not sure how difficult that would be? but there are games where you can look in all directions via the p n c interface.

Yes, this sounds reasonable, seems like a lot of people had problems with the interface (which is still surprising to me - I played the game during the early 2000s on a very slow computer, having mastered Doom and other classic FPS games, and I still had a blast). I’m just afraid that the idea of a “remake” will result in a completely new game. Maybe I’m too biased, but I think GK3 is a masterpiece both story-wise and programming-wise. Heart

Laughing Oh no, no, no, no to a remake of the second game Thumbs Up - it wouldn’t be the same without the portrayal of GK by Dean Erikson & the gorgeous villain Von Glower.  Smile

Von Glower saved the game! Ok, him, wolves, Wagner and Kommissar Leber Smile

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 17 January 2020 05:36 PM

Von Glower saved the game!

The wonderful game didn’t need saving! But Von Glower is the best.

Ok, him, wolves,

I don’t want anything changed but if I was forced to choose I’d want the totally ridiculous wolves redone.

Wagner

Robert Holmes and his marvelous opera. Kiss

and Kommissar Leber Smile

Over the top acting doesn’t begin to describe his atrocious performance. He joins the ranks of the wolves.  Tongue But kudos for the actor playing the policeman who tells Gabriel the Kommissar is not available. Maybe he should play Kommissar Leber in the remake.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I thought the actor was a lot of fun, wouldn’t even mind playing a spinoff with Leber in the lead. Kommissar Leber: Ze Is No Tchanzlation! Smile As for the wolves, I meant real wolves and the whole werewolf story, of course, not the poor CGI models.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Larry 4 Wink

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2008-04-21

PM

I’m chocked nobody’s mentioned the most obvious candidate for a make over Lula 3D, quite possibly the ugliest game ever made, and yet maybe the terrible look, game play and writing was what gave the fake it’s charm. Like every single other person who played the game I never finished even half of it so I don’t know, but yes it’s my nomination!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

cyfoyjvx - 17 January 2020 12:06 PM

I would vote for remaking GK1 and 2 to have the same interface as GK3. How great would it be to be zooming around a fully 3D Munich? Also, Tim Curry is the only one true Gabe Smile

Let me guess… you played GK1 before GK2?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-02-17

PM

I totally agree with everyone regarding GK3 navigation system: I loved it!

The only reason I’m talking about a remake is for modern systems compatibility (probably cannot even launch it on my current system lol) and improved graphics, textures, character models, animation etc.. I specifically wrote in my OP AAA (or AA) graphics, nothing about changing the gameplay/navigation, which in my opinion are great.

Two more games I would love to see a remake of:

The Space Bar

Sherlock Holmes 2: Case of The Rose Tattoo

(maybe even SH1: Case of the Serrated Scalpel)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

TalC2 - 20 January 2020 03:21 AM

The only reason I’m talking about a remake is for modern systems compatibility (probably cannot even launch it on my current system lol) and improved graphics, textures, character models, animation etc.. I specifically wrote in my OP AAA (or AA) graphics, nothing about changing the gameplay/navigation, which in my opinion are great.

GK3 (and many other older games) works very well with dgVoodo (http://dege.freeweb.hu/). It simulates different old graphics cards by putting a few dll-files in the game folder. Many options for graphics tweaking too.

Glad to read so much love for the controls in GK3! The free roaming camera together with the option to instantly bring Gabriel to the spot you want him with is fantastic.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Veovis - 20 January 2020 05:01 AM
TalC2 - 20 January 2020 03:21 AM

GK3 (and many other older games) works very well with dgVoodo (http://dege.freeweb.hu/). It simulates different old graphics cards by putting a few dll-files in the game folder. Many options for graphics tweaking too.

And GK3 Launcher allows changing to higher resolutions easily which weren’t part of the original game. Naturally it doesn’t do anything to models and textures.

http://gk3tools.sourceforge.io/launcher.php

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

diego - 19 January 2020 08:45 AM
cyfoyjvx - 17 January 2020 12:06 PM

Let me guess… you played GK1 before GK2?

Yes. I played the worst of the series (GK2) last, thankfully. I might not have been very interested in the others had I played it first.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top