• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Gabe - 08 October 2020 01:24 PM

There is a saga which called Syberia,there are origins which must be
returned,so prologued for discover it again..and beat the dead horse again.

Looks like they had to dig it up first then beat the bones.

I’m done with this series; I really loved the first game, Syberia II had some problems but was still good, but after that ..... well, it just fell apart. What I’ve seen and read about this latest installment has killed my interest completely, it now appears to be a case of style over substance.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

So played the Prologue fo Syberia 4 for a little bit. It swaps between 1937 and a young girl musician and 2004 Kate in a salt mine. 3D movement seems fine with decent graphics and good music. There is hotspots to interact to, people to speak to and inventory to pick up and use. They also seem to be adding some contextual action i.e click on drawer handle hold RT and pull down on the left stick to pull drawer open. I will complete it later but so far it seems reasonable.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It definitely plays better than Syberia 3, feels more interesting as well. The opening scene in 1937 is wonderfully made.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Right, I wrote my impressions on the prologue. All said I liked it much better than Syberia 3. The story seems more interesting as well. 

https://bit.ly/3nwLZtG

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Anything’s a step up from Syberia 3. I like what I see so far. Needles to say, I’ll read several reviews and try out the demo before I bite.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

There are a lot of comments about Kate’s “new look” in the game in the internet forums, and I found this 2017 interview with Benoit Sokal
(http://adventureadvocate.gr/interviews/eng-interviews/item/interview-with-b) where he, apparently, was going to make Kate Walker more genderfluid.

I think he succeeded on some level.
I’ve gotta be honest, simply because I loved dear old Kate Walker from previous games, and she did not come across to me as genderfluid at all - this move did seem a bit jarring. I suppose, I can move along with new story (which seemed pretty interesting) and different circumstances we find Kate in, but I was definitely looking for Kate Walker I knew from before.

Aside that, the game have a huge optimization problem, but if it will be fixed - it might turn out a solid (or maybe even great) adventure.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I DL’d the game demo. The graphics are far superior to S3. And I’m assuming this is a prequel to S3. However, the controls are horrible. As cluncky as it is, I would have preferred keyboard controls to the wildly erratic mouse control. Sokol needs to do much better to regain his reputation. If this is a realistic representation of the way the game will play, count me out. I uninstalled it after about 15 minutes of difficult aimless wandering. Too bad. It looks like it could be a wonderful game. Return to 2D and it might work.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Wait, it’s not 2D? It looks like a return to the style of the original games from the screens I saw, rather than the same style as Syberia 3.

I don’t really get this trend of releasing parts of the game before it’s finished. A prologue is meant to be the start of something, so I’m not going to be interested in playing it unless I can play the rest afterwards.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Vehelon - 20 October 2020 09:45 PM

I don’t really get this trend of releasing parts of the game before it’s finished. A prologue is meant to be the start of something, so I’m not going to be interested in playing it unless I can play the rest afterwards.

It’s basically a demo containing the first chapter.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 20 October 2020 09:31 PM

I DL’d the game demo. The graphics are far superior to S3. And I’m assuming this is a prequel to S3. However, the controls are horrible..

No, it’s a direct sequel, to s3, but parts of it are set in the past. That’s what I’ve gathered at least.

I have to disagree with the controls. I tried both, mouse and gamepad, and it felt smooth enough to me on both. A huge improvement over S3 in any case. The only issue I had was that in the train the hotspot detection didn’t seem to quite work, but that isn’t necessarily because of the controls but how the scene was laid out.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Played with a controller. Didn’t have any issues with the controls.

Didn’t try the mouse controls as they worked perfectly without needing to revert.

As for Kates new look, I thought it was fitting considering she was imprisoned in a salt mine. Cut hair and lots of manual labour would change most peoples looks.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Lucien21 - 21 October 2020 03:54 PM

As for Kates new look, I thought it was fitting considering she was imprisoned in a salt mine. Cut hair and lots of manual labour would change most peoples looks.

Yes but she looks younger than ever. Grin

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

tomimt - 21 October 2020 02:19 AM

I have to disagree with the controls. I tried both, mouse and gamepad, and it felt smooth enough to me on both. A huge improvement over S3 in any case. The only issue I had was that in the train the hotspot detection didn’t seem to quite work, but that isn’t necessarily because of the controls but how the scene was laid out.

I thought I mentioned that I only played it with a mouse. So I have no frame of reference for using a controller or other device. I’ll put a fresh battery in the mouse and see whether that improves anything. I just seemed as if there was an exaggerated delay between mouse movement and cursor movement.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 23 October 2020 06:37 PM

I’ll put a fresh battery in the mouse and see whether that improves anything. I just seemed as if there was an exaggerated delay between mouse movement and cursor movement.

I assume that means you are using a wireless mouse?
Those things should never be used for games!

Now, adventure games are very forgiving in that they don’t (usually) require fast responses to anything, but try some FPS with a wireless mouse and you will soon realise why it’s a bad idea.

I once got a free wireless Microsoft mouse from a press event, never used it, gave it to someone else who doesn’t play any games.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Well, at least that explains why I suck terribly at FPS games. Or at least I can use that as my new excuse Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top