• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pegbiter - 01 October 2020 03:53 AM
rtrooney - 30 September 2020 08:28 PM

True, but would that not make the image even grainier than it already is? Hardly a visual improvement.

Definitely not a visual improvement, but it makes finding the hot-spots much easier. I actually don’t think it looks that bad by the way, even though I’m stretching the interface to cover most of my 43″ display.

Sorry to digress but I’m curious about how you play the game (or any game) on a display that large Pegbiter?

43” is just a little larger than my TV screen which I watch from approximately 2 mtrs/79 inches away. My PC monitor is 24” & I’m at a desk sitting approx 24” away - I don’t think I could cope with anything larger! Laughing

The screens for Lighthouse display on my monitor are approx 9” X 12” - I downloaded it from GOG & can’t see anyway to make it fill up my screen although I don’t mind it as it is.
I’m more curious as to how you’re playing a PC game on such a large display - at a distance with a wireless mouse perhaps?    Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Section 2

If all has gone well, you have stepped through the portal in Dr. Frick’s lab and arrived at a beach.  Explore here to find some necessary items, then find your way to the tower known as Martin’s Roost. 

Located here are two modes of transportation to take you to different places.  For this playthrough, we will be taking the upper one now and the lower one later.  In fact, when you enter, the path to the right leading down can be ignored completely until later.  You’ll have enough to do to gain access to the upper area of the tower, especially since there is someone here who will try to mess up your plans.  A priority for you is to find a way to keep him out.  (Don’t despair if he thwarts you.  You have a couple ways to get him back.)

Other than that, explore, read, and pick up everything.  STOP when you reach the temple.  I think 5 days will be enough for this section, so try to get through it by Tues., Oct. 6.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great! I’ll try to get there this weekend.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 01 October 2020 11:21 AM

Other than that, explore, read, and pick up everything.  STOP when you reach the temple.  I think 5 days will be enough for this section, so try to get through it by Tues., Oct. 6.

Great choice on the route. That said, I hope we can finish this in five days. I remember this being much more difficult than the episode we just finished.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Having tried it both ways, this way makes more sense to me because we begin to see why we’re doing certain things.  As you know, we can always extend the time, if needed.

By the way, it’s a good idea in this section to save before entering any doors in the tower.  It could save you a bit of a hassle. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

chrissie - 01 October 2020 05:48 AM

Sorry to digress but I’m curious about how you play the game (or any game) on a display that large Pegbiter?

43” is just a little larger than my TV screen which I watch from approximately 2 mtrs/79 inches away. My PC monitor is 24” & I’m at a desk sitting approx 24” away - I don’t think I could cope with anything larger! Laughing

The screens for Lighthouse display on my monitor are approx 9” X 12” - I downloaded it from GOG & can’t see anyway to make it fill up my screen although I don’t mind it as it is.
I’m more curious as to how you’re playing a PC game on such a large display - at a distance with a wireless mouse perhaps?    Smile

Large ultra-wide monitors are popular among action gamers. Mine is however of 16:9 aspect ratio, and the size is primarily useful for productivity. After getting used to it though, I enjoy playing any kind of game on it too. I have a pretty deep desk and sit about one meter from the center of the screen.

If you’re starting the game with GOGs launcher you won’t be able to access the options of ScummVM through the interface. You can however reach it by locating the ScummVM executable, or edit the config file manually.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m already finished I guess, took me about an hour actually to figure out how to deal with both birds, get to the upper level and fly to the temple. Not sure if I finished each and every task as I ended up with a number of items I had no need for (a mechanical flute, some bolts and nuts, a blue lamp, an amulet I took as a souvenir from a skeleton and that crank which the humanoid bird tried to snatch from me, but I save-loaded and managed to lock the window).

There were some minor pixel hunting moments, but this section felt way easier to me, there were no “puzzle” puzzles (not counting the first door puzzle which was brief and fun) and locations were less interactive, but more colorful and atmospheric. Enjoyed teasing the bird and searching the cabinet with all its drawers and hidden compartments, a real treat for a seasoned adventurer. Not sure what was the purpose of other two buttons on the remote control as well as the mechanical flute which I played in front of the evil bird to no luck.

While the world is tiny so far and I find it hard to believe that metal birds could fly so easily using their metal wings, I like the Jules Verne influence which is getting stronger and stronger.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Same here, I finished too. I rather agree with Doom, either it’s easier or I’m more used to that game but I don’t think there were a lot of difficulties. Thanks Lady Kestrel to remind us to save regularly, it was useful to prevent the birdman from destroying the remote control or stealing.

Those diary entries and the fact that Krick met Martin when he was alive makes me wonder if there’s some temporal distortion going on. Martin’s skeleton should have been there longer than the few months it took Dr Krick to setup the portal…

I really liked the world and couldn’t stop myself so continued for a bit inside temple (sorry).

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, I have also reached the temple and agree that either I have adjusted into ‘the mindset’ of the game, or this section is just easier.

That said I was held up in one or two places, not for that long but it could have been much worse…

If it hadn’t been for reading comments in this thread I don’t think I would have found the stones on the beach very quickly. To be honest I think I could have been stuck there for days as I hadn’t come across a single one of them until I was getting stuck later on and came back to read the thread…

The other thing is when you fix the remote control thing you have to put it on that restraining table thing. No idea why (as in what the clue was, if any) it was just luck that I tried it.

Also, the number of unrecognisable inventory items went up. Some of them look alien but you can guess what they are for, others (including the remote control) I just had no idea about. To be honest at least part of the challenge of this game is just working out what you had picked up!

I like the dynamic between the player and the bird. He seems an enemy and it genuinely did feel pretty cool ‘outwitting’ him by locking the windows, although I did wonder why he couldn’t use the doors like I did…. But there is this lovely grey area over who is scared of who. He seems to have all the power there, perfectly happy to come into a room when I’m in there, but then flying away hastily when I come into the room he is in. Interesting.

Doom - 01 October 2020 08:01 PM

Not sure what was the purpose of other two buttons on the remote control

So I though they must be to control the two ‘attack’ birds up the top, near the flying bird thing and I spent a while trying to use it on them, but nothing happened. Frown

Doom - 01 October 2020 08:01 PM

as well as the mechanical flute which I played in front of the evil bird to no luck.

Ah man, another thing I missed doing that I wish I had tried!

On the whole, I’m still enjoying the game. It certainly doesn’t feel like top 10, 20 or even 100 material at the moment, but the experience of playing through together is definitely enjoyable and I have played many worse games and I want to keep going this time. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Intense Degree - 02 October 2020 04:38 AM

If it hadn’t been for reading comments in this thread I don’t think I would have found the stones on the beach very quickly. To be honest I think I could have been stuck there for days as I hadn’t come across a single one of them until I was getting stuck later on and came back to read the thread…

Oh for sure, it’s because I read in the comment to pick them up that I did. And if I didn’t have them in my inventory, I would probably have taken a lot longer to figure out what to do with the birdman

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That was quick!  Let’s wait to see how everyone else progresses before we move on.  The next section has quite a few parts and can be complicated. 

If you were taking a different path through the game than we are, there’s a chance you might be stranded with no way to get to or from the temple.  The whistle will call the flying machine.  I never had to use it myself.

I’d love to have that desk with all its cubbies, drawers, and secret compartments.  One time I played the game I spent too much time looking around, and the birdman stole the lever.  I missed the alternate way I could get it back at Martin’s Roost but managed to do it later.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was wrong! This section went relatively fast, and I am at the Temple. I think I somehow remembered, erroneously, that part, if not most of what we will do at the Temple, was part of this chapter.

It isn’t as if I didn’t experience some difficulty. When I said in a prior post that cursor position was more finicky than I remembered. Getting into the Bird Workshop required several attempts using Save/Reload. Getting the gate to open wasn’t the problem. Finding the cursor to enter the workshop was.

I also had trouble finding the “coil”. At least that’s what it’s called in my WT. I was one of the WT editors, and why coil v. antenna slipped through I don’t remember. I’m not sure random shuffling of the drawer contents would do the job. I also had trouble with the “remote control” Again, my memory of the game has faded over these 20-odd years. And since I was able to recover it in Martin’s room, there was no reason to think it had to be repaired ... except that it wouldn’t work on the ladder. Two other minor glitches. I didn’t remember that there were two keys in Martin’s room. I found one straight away, but it wasn’t the one I could use to lock the window. Save/Restore before that was solved. I also confess to resorting to a video WT for repairing the remote. There was nothing that gave me a clue as to what needed to be done. And the final glitch. I remembered enough about the ornithopter to know you had to wind the crank until it rewinds and then do the X-1 number of cranks. But I decided to try it the old fashioned way. Wind a few times, get into the cockpit and see what the gauges told me. Except, when I entered the cockpit I could not exit same, and had to replay a rather long sequence from a prior save.

But, despite those annoyances, I arrived at my destination. And a lot faster than I thought I would.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

To exit the cockpit, you had to put your cursor on the center windshield divider.  I had to get in and out a couple of times to check the gauge and had trouble finding it at first.

The highlighted cursor helped when I was rooting through the drawers.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Fortunately no longer an issue. Maybe it’s my monitor, but the highlighted cursor is not that big a benefit for me. Looking forward to what’s next.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

rtrooney - 02 October 2020 08:34 PM

Fortunately no longer an issue. Maybe it’s my monitor, but the highlighted cursor is not that big a benefit for me. Looking forward to what’s next.

The highlighted cursor is why I decided to run the game in full screen in scummvm. It was impossible to see it otherwise…

I had the same problem with the cockpit, took me quite a while to figure that I needed to click exactly there. The first time, I thought I couldn’t get out due to a bug and reloaded a savegame.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top