• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 03 January 2020 08:38 AM
Karlok - 03 January 2020 08:20 AM
rtrooney - 02 January 2020 07:24 PM

Steam obviously knew my account information because it let me buy the game. But the, for reasons I don’t understand, you have to log into your account again to download the game. (This is one of the annoying things about the Steam client that drives me nuts. And, FWIW. I think the BFG client is far more user-friendly than Steam.) But when I logged into Steam again, nothing worked.

If the Steam Client is installed on your computer you only have to log in once, not twice. You can buy the game after you log in. You can stay logged in as long as you like, which is what I do most of the time. (I wish AG would let me stay logged in too!) So I just click on the Steam icon whenever I want to buy or install a game.

Steam has very strict safety features, so in theory, you may need to type in username/password three times during buying/downloading process.

I’m glad you said in theory.

If you are buying through web browser,

Yes, that’s obviously what rtrooney did. But he doesn’t WANT to log in multiple times. And he doesn’t have to.

Now as a guess what might have happened, if the computer runs out of memory, then Steam client probably doesn’t do much. If that’s not the problem, there’s also the possibility that the download attempt happened when the Steam client was updating itself, and that might cause some problems.

My guess is that it’s even simpler than that. We’ll see.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I still haven’t had a chance to download the game. But the problem has, I hope, been solved. The root cause was a fried motherboard which caused me to buy the new/current computer back in March. Steam servers were not recognizing my new computer. (Although they recognized it well enough to take my money.) After jumping through a few more hoops, Steam sent me an email with a code that I had to type in on a version of the Steam log-in page, which allowed my PC and their servers to communicate. Why this could not have been done with a simple error notice yesterday annoys me. I will report back one I have the game downloaded.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Karlok, I loved Agent A! It was lighthearted, funny, and it moved along fairly quickly except when I missed something. A perfect game for a gray winter day.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Now there seems to be an additional issue with password.

Reason a gazzillion plus three why I hate Steam. It allowed me to by the game using, apparently, a faulty PC connection and an invalid passowrd. But when it comes down to actually downloading the game I bought, I can’t do it because the PC/Server connection was invalid and my password is not recognized.

There are actual scams out there in the internet marketplace that do this exact same thing. I.e. sell you a product with no intention of delivering same.

If I eventually get the game downloaded, I guarantee that this will be the last time I ever use Steam.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

furgotten - 04 January 2020 12:50 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Karlok, I loved Agent A! It was lighthearted, funny, and it moved along fairly quickly except when I missed something. A perfect game for a gray winter day.

I haven’t played casual games in years, but this one was great fun. I don’t like casuals with HOGs, horror stories, ravens, and always the same type of dark graphics. Although I did enjoy some of the Mystery Case Files, in particular the Ravenhearst ones. But I’m open to suggestions if I’ve missed out on enjoyable ones like Agent A.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

rtrooney - 04 January 2020 08:24 PM

Now there seems to be an additional issue with password.

Reason a gazzillion plus three why I hate Steam. It allowed me to by the game using, apparently, a faulty PC connection and an invalid passowrd. But when it comes down to actually downloading the game I bought, I can’t do it because the PC/Server connection was invalid and my password is not recognized.

I have no idea why there was a problem with the password but the machine validation side makes sense to me. I can purchase games on Steam from my work computer, my phone, a friend’s computer - wherever I happen to be at the time, all I need to do is log in on the website. Those are sensible things to want to do. If I actually want to install the games, I need to have the client installed and validate the machine I’m on. (to look at it another way: there’s relatively little risk of someone hacking into my steam account and buying games for me, and it doesn’t do much harm if they do. It’s more likely they’d want to hack my account to install my games, which would be more of an issue, so it makes sense for security to be a little tighter for installing purchases)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Victory! If that’s what you wan to call it. I seem to have the game installed, aLthough I probably won’t get to start playing until tomorrow. One way or the other, I will let you know if everything works.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thank you Karlok for introducing me to the game. I finally got it up and running, and find it quite enjoyable, although I have only started Chapter Two. I would definitely describe this as Adventure Lite as opposed to HOG-free Casual. The puzzles, so far, are quite logical, but not obvious, if that makes any sense.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just starting chapter 3. The game is quite addictive. I have resorted to a walkthrough twice. Once was for the phone where you dial *69 to retrieve the last dialed number. That may be a convention, but if it is, it’s one I was totally unfamiliar with. The other was for the piano puzzle. (I’m sure I could have solved it, but my patience was running low at the time.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

rtrooney - 08 January 2020 03:00 PM

Once was for the phone where you dial *69 to retrieve the last dialed number. That may be a convention, but if it is, it’s one I was totally unfamiliar with.

Funny, I don’t remember that. It was the mobile version I played, though, so maybe that’s just different. I had heard of that convention though, via the R.E.M. song - I’d assumed it was a standard US thing, but maybe it’s not universal there.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I don’t remember doing that either. Maybe that is an alternate solution?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When you enter the office and start clicking on things, you eventually find your way to the phone. There’s something to do there, but no clue to tell you what to do. So I looked at a WT and found a number. I think the only relevance to that number comes when you find the file folder. That’s when you discover there’s a a mole in MIA.

Of course there’s another use for the phone at the end of Chapter Two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

The only time I used the phone was, like you said, at the end of Chapter 2. It did not seem relevant before that. Maybe using *69 is a Steam achievement? At any rate, whoever figured that out is clever.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Got caught up with RL the last few days. Hope to play Day Three soon. This is a wonderful game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yeah, dialing *69 is an optional Steam achievement thing, and does not affect story or game progression. It’s just a little easter egg. You can get a hint about it from the Steam achievement name and description: STAR 69 Investigate Ruby’s phone call records

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top