• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 21 December 2019 11:03 PM

There is another game is the series, although there are only two games so far, so I’m not sure that equates to a series. Anyway, the game is Memoirs of Murder - Resorting to Revenge. Don’t know whether this is the first or second game. I can say that, while the puzzles are very similar, the graphics are much better. And, I believe the plot/story is much better as well.

There is a third game but probably the 1st? of the series: Memoirs of Murder - Welcome to Hidden Pines.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t find Hidden Pines on BFG. Perhaps it’s available on GOG, and I just didn’t look there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 28 December 2019 06:41 PM

I didn’t find Hidden Pines on BFG. Perhaps it’s available on GOG, and I just didn’t look there.

Check here
https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/18293/memoirs-of-murder-welcome-to-hidden-pines-ce/

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 12 December 2018 09:22 PM

I’m planning on playing the two new Artifex Mundi games in the near future. One of them, Brother Rabbit was reviewed by our very own Jackal. I’m curious to see whether I agree with his casual/adventure-lite categorization.

I think it blurs the line between casual and adventure. It is the closest they have gotten to a pure adventure game, besides their latest game: “Irony Curtain From Matryoshka with Love” which is a pure adventure.

For whatever it is worth though, it is a great game and highly recommended.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 25 December 2019 08:43 PM
Jabod - 13 December 2019 06:48 AM
rtrooney - 12 December 2019 09:49 PM

if this game was only available on GOG, I will never be able to guess it since it’s not my source of casual games.

Tim - you should have read my last post more carefully as I say that it was in my Steam Library Smile

It’s also available on BigFish Thumbs Up

I have played the game. I liked it. But to your earlier point as to whether this would be a suitable game for a younger person, I have mixed feelings. The only problem I have is with the “Shield on Shield” mini-games. They are timed puzzles and are difficult. This would be a perfect time for the parent to say “Why don’t we skip this one?”

So, other than what I just mentioned, I think it is a great game to play along with your ten-year-old.

I replayed the game when I discovered what it was called Tim so I’ve already spoken to my friend (it’s his daughter and not mine. I’m a wee bit too old to be having a ten year old child Smile ) as I thought that it would be suitable for the two of them to play. Those shield ones aren’t timed (if they are I always beat them comfortably before the time ran out) but that isn’t a problem. The youngster has loads of patience (as do her parents thankfully) and it’s that type of thing, along with the HO screens, that her Dad hopes will help with her cognition and general awareness of her surroundings.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m going to recommend a casual/adventure lite game. Yeah, that’s a first for me.  Cool
I had lots of fun with Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise. Released in 2016 but only recently for PC. Available on Steam (not on Bigfish or GOG), only 2.45 euro until January 2. I played it for 6-7 hours, so I consider that good value for my money.

Nice graphics, I like the art style. Easy casual-type puzzles. Hardly any story, you are a spy trying to kill a baddie but it’s all rather silly and the comments of the protagonist are lighthearted.   

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 31 December 2019 12:14 PM

I’m going to recommend a casual/adventure lite game. Yeah, that’s a first for me.  Cool
I had lots of fun with Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise. Released in 2016 but only recently for PC. Available on Steam (not on Bigfish or GOG), only 2.45 euro until January 2. I played it for 6-7 hours, so I consider that good value for my money.

Nice graphics, I like the art style. Easy casual-type puzzles. Hardly any story, you are a spy trying to kill a baddie but it’s all rather silly and the comments of the protagonist are lighthearted.   

I loved the game. They even had a DOTT reference in there Smile .
I would say it is more adventure lite than casual, mainly due to the absence of HOG sections in it, but this is just semantics and depends on what a person considers “casual”.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 31 December 2019 12:14 PM

Welcome! Any casual/adventure-lite game that plays for over six hours is remarkable. That amount of gameplay for less than $3.00US is a bargain. As much as I hate dealing with Steam, I will have to give this a try based on your, and Soccer Dude’s recommendation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Reason Number Gazzillion why I hate Steam. Found the game. Bought the game. Jumped through hoops trying to download the game. No success. It’s less than $3.00US, so it’s not a big deal. But it really angers me that this Vendor is so difficult to deal with.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 01 January 2020 11:18 PM

Reason Number Gazzillion why I hate Steam. Found the game. Bought the game. Jumped through hoops trying to download the game. No success.

There are plenty of reasons to hate Steam, but download not succeeding is really not on the list. I have never had that happen to me (that has happened with GOG, Humble, Groupees, etc.), I haven’t heard about such problems generally either with Steam. Never seen “Steam bear” or anything.

What you have encountered is truly a unique problem, if the problem is at Steam’s end.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Reason Number Gazzillion why I hate Steam. Found the game. Bought the game. Jumped through hoops trying to download the game. No success. It’s less than $3.00US, so it’s not a big deal. But it really angers me that this Vendor is so difficult to deal with.

I’ll try to help you, so these are serious questions.
Have you ever played a game on Steam before? If not it’s possible that you haven’t yet downloaded the Steam Client software you need to play games. Is there a Steam icon on your desktop?

If the answer is yes, are you logged in? You should be able to see the name you have chosen for yourself at the top of your screen.

When logged in, can you see your library with your collection of games?  If Agent A is not there, something probably went wrong during the buying process.

If you can see Agent A, click on it and you will see the word Install.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 05:01 AM

Reason Number Gazzillion why I hate Steam. Found the game. Bought the game. Jumped through hoops trying to download the game. No success.

There are plenty of reasons to hate Steam, but download not succeeding is really not on the list. I have never had that happen to me (that has happened with GOG, Humble, Groupees, etc.), I haven’t heard about such problems generally either with Steam. Never seen “Steam bear” or anything.

What you have encountered is truly a unique problem, if the problem is at Steam’s end.

Same here. You could hate Steam for its customer service, its DRM practices, or any other thing, but in terms of their client, they do have the best client in all gaming stores. I have tried them all (GOG, BFG, windows store, uplay, epic game store, origin, battle.net, xbox, psn, nintento store, etc…), and in terms of download speed, feature set, and reliability, Steam is number one. I have been using it since in launched with Half Life 2 back in 2004, and besides the rough launch, and a bug I encountered one time several years back and that was resolved in less than a day, I haven’t had a single problem with them.
I used to use it on windows XP, and now I use it on both windows 7 and windows 10 with no problems.

Can you give us more details on the errors you encountered? In addition to all of Karlok’s suggestions, can you tell us the windows version you use, and what kind of error you are seeing?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@Karlok & Gatekeeper

I wish I could give you a really solid answer. Yes, I have purchased games from Steam before. Although I don’t do it frequently. I think Kathy Rain was the last one.

Steam obviously knew my account information because it let me buy the game. But the, for reasons I don’t understand, you have to log into your account again to download the game. (This is one of the annoying things about the Steam client that drives me nuts. And, FWIW. I think the BFG client is far more user-friendly than Steam.) But when I logged into Steam again, nothing worked.

I have not been able to try anything else today. And, I have to spend a few hours in the Dr’s office tomorrow getting some stitches removed, so it may be the weekend before I can try again. I will report back with the results. Thanks for the assistance.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 02 January 2020 07:24 PM

Steam obviously knew my account information because it let me buy the game. But the, for reasons I don’t understand, you have to log into your account again to download the game. (This is one of the annoying things about the Steam client that drives me nuts. And, FWIW. I think the BFG client is far more user-friendly than Steam.) But when I logged into Steam again, nothing worked.

If the Steam Client is installed on your computer you only have to log in once, not twice. You can buy the game after you log in. You can stay logged in as long as you like, which is what I do most of the time. (I wish AG would let me stay logged in too!) So I just click on the Steam icon whenever I want to buy or install a game.

Try again when you have time and let us know what you see on your screen or post a screenshot (private info removed). We’ll get you through this.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 03 January 2020 08:20 AM
rtrooney - 02 January 2020 07:24 PM

If the Steam Client is installed on your computer you only have to log in once, not twice. You can buy the game after you log in. You can stay logged in as long as you like, which is what I do most of the time. (I wish AG would let me stay logged in too!) So I just click on the Steam icon whenever I want to buy or install a game.

Steam has very strict safety features, so in theory, you may need to type in username/password three times during buying/downloading process.

If you are buying through web browser, first you need to do that when you sign in to Steam, the second time when you are paying the purchase, (depending on the payment method you may need to enter password for transaction service here,) and when you click to install the game, and the client starts, once more in the client. Annoying, but at least it’s good for customer protection.
(And if you are trying to access Steam from a device you haven’t used before, you may be asked to enter the safety number before you can even try to buy anything, but that’s a different story…)

Now as a guess what might have happened, if the computer runs out of memory, then Steam client probably doesn’t do much. If that’s not the problem, there’s also the possibility that the download attempt happened when the Steam client was updating itself, and that might cause some problems.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top