• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange 2

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 January 2019 01:09 PM

I have traveled far and wide and big cities is where I have found the most racism, different groups segregate themselves off by blocks and neighborhoods, most “rural” people are poor and just trying to survive and make a living on all sides black or white.

That might be your experience but it is not something backed up by the data.

In the US and most other countries the traditional political split has been inner city - liberal, suburbia - moderate, rural - conservative. As far as I know that continues today. Actually it is more split than ever

The new political divide is a stark division between cities and what remains of the countryside. Not just some cities and some rural areas, either—virtually every major city (100,000-plus population) in the United States of America has a different outlook from the less populous areas that are closest to it. The difference is no longer about where people live, it’s about how people live: in spread-out, open, low-density privacy—or amid rough-and-tumble, in-your-face population density and diverse communities that enforce a lower-common denominator of tolerance among inhabitants.

The voting data suggest that people don’t make cities liberal—cities make people liberal.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/red-state-blue-city-how-the-urban-rural-divide-is-splitting-america/265686/

Besides, so what if they didn’t add an option for “quietly try to argue your innocence?” Anyone who has tried to convince a racist against their prejudice knows they are not convinced by reason. So the situation ending up with you tied up in the back room seems accurate.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 10 January 2019 02:35 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 January 2019 01:09 PM

I have traveled far and wide and big cities is where I have found the most racism, different groups segregate themselves off by blocks and neighborhoods, most “rural” people are poor and just trying to survive and make a living on all sides black or white.

That might be your experience but it is not something backed up by the data.

In the US and most other countries the traditional political split has been inner city - liberal, suburbia - moderate, rural - conservative. As far as I know that continues today. Actually it is more split than ever

The new political divide is a stark division between cities and what remains of the countryside. Not just some cities and some rural areas, either—virtually every major city (100,000-plus population) in the United States of America has a different outlook from the less populous areas that are closest to it. The difference is no longer about where people live, it’s about how people live: in spread-out, open, low-density privacy—or amid rough-and-tumble, in-your-face population density and diverse communities that enforce a lower-common denominator of tolerance among inhabitants.

The voting data suggest that people don’t make cities liberal—cities make people liberal.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/red-state-blue-city-how-the-urban-rural-divide-is-splitting-america/265686/

Besides, so what if they didn’t add an option for “quietly try to argue your innocence?” Anyone who has tried to convince a racist against their prejudice knows they are not convinced by reason. So the situation ending up with you tied up in the back room seems accurate.

voting does not indicate people as a whole, have you ever been to boston or new york, bc I have, you have whole neighborhoods divided by race and culture. irish live with irish, black with black, Italians with Italians. etc…..there is a reason places like chinatown exists in cities and its not bc every city deweller is truly a liberal even if voting as one. they were put there many yrs ago. Its also a reason many black folks now hate white folks moving into their neighborhoods. they call it gentrification, and a lot of black folks hate it just look at this quote from spike lee
Then comes the motherfuckin’ Christopher Columbus Syndrome. You can’t discover this! We been here. You just can’t come and bogart. There were brothers playing motherfuckin’ African drums in Mount Morris Park for 40 years and now they can’t do it anymore because the new inhabitants said the drums are loud. My father’s a great jazz musician. He bought a house in nineteen-motherfuckin’-sixty-eight, and the motherfuckin’ people moved in last year and called the cops on my father.

so as you see lets not act like living in a city is racial harmony just bc they vote liberal more times than not, its a melting pot of racism just like “rural” america

for your second pt, that is pure non sense bc its speculation, bc most true racism is quiet not in your face, bc for one you may lose your job. for instance I have already seen 2 youtube videos calling out the ign reviewer as being racist just bc he brought up the pt that the game is over the top and equates rural to racism so now that must make him a racist(such pure BS). I assure you not every rural person is racist and not every city dweller is a liberal.The word racism and racist is thrown around far to easily nowadays for people who just disagree.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 January 2019 12:48 PM

im glad your enjoying the game but the devs wont get my money. Like I said in my original post on this game, I think they could have went in so many different interesting directions with an american mexican kid other than he gets bullied by white kid than his dad gets shot by a white officer 2 minutes later, to me that is going for the low hanging propaganda fruit, instead of investing in his culture and character study.

First thing, I think it’s going to be hard to have any real discussion with you on a game that you haven’t even played.  You aren’t reacting to the game, you’re reacting to a short demo and then things other people have posted that agree with your preconceptions.

And second, again it seems like what you really want is that no white person is ever portrayed negatively.  The main characters’ love interest is white, he has white friends, the person that helps him the most in the story by far is white, and most of the other people in the story are as well.  But because certain specific people are portrayed negatively, and happen to also be white, you deem the entire game (which you haven’t even played) to be propaganda against white people.

I hadn’t even thought of the race of the neighbor kid as something that anyone would consider relevant.  As far as I recall he made no comments that had anything to do with race.  It was just kids fighting.  From my perspective, you’re the one making everything about race and not the game developers.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Detective Mosely - 12 January 2019 07:10 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 January 2019 12:48 PM

im glad your enjoying the game but the devs wont get my money. Like I said in my original post on this game, I think they could have went in so many different interesting directions with an american mexican kid other than he gets bullied by white kid than his dad gets shot by a white officer 2 minutes later, to me that is going for the low hanging propaganda fruit, instead of investing in his culture and character study.

First thing, I think it’s going to be hard to have any real discussion with you on a game that you haven’t even played.  You aren’t reacting to the game, you’re reacting to a short demo and then things other people have posted that agree with your preconceptions.

And second, again it seems like what you really want is that no white person is ever portrayed negatively.  The main characters’ love interest is white, he has white friends, the person that helps him the most in the story by far is white, and most of the other people in the story are as well.  But because certain specific people are portrayed negatively, and happen to also be white, you deem the entire game (which you haven’t even played) to be propaganda against white people.

I hadn’t even thought of the race of the neighbor kid as something that anyone would consider relevant.  As far as I recall he made no comments that had anything to do with race.  It was just kids fighting.  From my perspective, you’re the one making everything about race and not the game developers.

yep its just me that has a problem with game not the countless reviews that I pointed out are the 100s of steam user reviews who have the same problem.

for the record since yall cant seem to get it, race is not the problem, there has been 100 of games where white people have been the bad guy. my favorite series of all time is wing commander and an admiral who is white is the the bad guy that keeps the war machine moving,the difference is he was a fully fleshed out character, and was not just a mustache twirling villain like so many Rural people are shown to be in life is strange 2. My problem is the political bias that is being shoved down the throat in this game with not being subtle at all. If you dont have a problem with that than that is fine but a lot of gamers and review sites do. Even Planet X who has not responded in this thread yet said he had major issues with chapter 1. Of course this is developed by a french company, so they do not know the real climate here in america, just like I dont know the ends and outs of french politics. As my fav comedian bill burr once said “that would be like me writing a book about pregnancy and what to expect…. now ladies you are going to feel some pressure… what the heck do I know about being pregnant.” lol

But one point you are right about is im not playing the game and like I said before I have no plans to either, but I hope some others do on here, so yall can talk about the rest of the experience together mr mosely. Have a wonderful day.

one last thing my friend is playing the game and this is what he said about it, and it makes sense to me..

Regarding the politics I remain convinced that the focus on Trump and the wall did hurt the game´s reception - not in the liberal games media, we all knew that they would worship a game like this. But even in the positive steam reviews the heavy handed politics are mentioned from time to time while they are brought up almost always during the negative ones.
What we can´t say is whether a game that would have been not that political would have also been disliked by those people currently writing negative reviews. Is the focus on politics enough to turn an “it´s okay” into an “it sucks”? Is it enough to push somebody from being indifferent to actually bad-mouthing the game? On the other hand, did it really push people to a more positive reaction or did it not matter?

I found the tone even before the shooting ridiculous, so you can imagine what I thought about the rest.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

i FINALLY played life is strange 1 a few weeks ago.  Loved it really, although I did find much of the portrayal cringe-worthy.  Some of the references to punk particularly were hilarious and just some of the language used was so overdone.  I mean, I’m from northern california, I know people say ‘hella’ a lot, but the way they overused it just felt so forced and wrong in the game.  Anyway lol, I loved the characters and was interested in this game but after seeing it is based on totally different characters and there are some kind of strong one-sided political undertones I have zero interest.  I mean, I really liked the characters from the first game and while I realize chloe is gone now (or most likely depending on what you chose) I don’t have any interest in this new premise or these new characters or any political issues it is trying to convey.  This was the wrong route to take imo using completely different characters… they should have just called it a different name than Life is Strange 2.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 January 2019 07:14 AM

a mustache twirling villain like so many Rural people are shown to be in life is strange 2

See, this is just 100% factually incorrect.  There was only one character that could possibly fit this description.  But it’s impossible for you to know this because you haven’t played the game.

Like I said, there’s really no use debating this with you because you have no idea what you’re talking about.  You’re parroting things others have said.  If those people were actually here I could point out where I disagree, and we could perhaps we could have a meaningful discussion on the subject, but they’re not.

As my fav comedian bill burr once said “that would be like me writing a book about pregnancy and what to expect”

Or writing long posts about a game you haven’t played.  Content

And regarding the 100s of posts that don’t like the game for this issue, I’m not arguing these don’t exist.  It doesn’t make them right though.  There’s a sizable portion of the republican base that gets triggered any time the topic of race gets brought up.  This game is obviously a game that had zero chance to be liked by people like that.

That still doesn’t mean that the game is nothing but propaganda though.  Personally I felt they’ve handled the tricky subject well without it seeming over the top.  Clearly some people disagree.  But it’s not something you really can have an honest opinion about unless you’ve actually played it yourself.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

One final thought here, that I want to share.

Regarding the potential “mustache twirling villain”.  The funny thing about this is that I think anyone that would have a problem with the way the topic of race is handled in this game would without a doubt celebrate this “villain” as a hero in real life.  Because honestly, his acts can be totally justified.

(spoilers, but if you’re not going to play the game anyway, not sure why you’d care about that.

1.  The main character is a teen wanted by the police and is suspected of killing a cop.  2.  This guy is a shop owner who recognizes you as being wanted, and you very likely just shoplifted from him.  Due to the circumstances of the game, I did.  (you’ve been homeless for days with little money and no food or shelter, not knowing how long you and your brother would be in this situation or how much money you’re going to need in the future—which for the record, is the real focus of the game.  Not race relations.)

If this guy performed a citizen arrest on a wanted teen like this, even if the teen was a bit beat up afterwards, there’s no doubt that he’d be lauded as a hero by many.  It changes the tone of the scene when you know the main character is innocent, but this guy doesn’t and no one else would either.

And then some of the comments you’ve referenced have said he becomes a cartoonish bad guy because he mentioned that this is why they need a wall?  How many people in real life are saying things like this?  This is frankly just an accurate depiction of what some people are like.  He didn’t say it to a random Mexican that was shopping in his store.  He said it to someone that was wanted for potentially killing a cop.  And again, this is just one character.  He’s not suppose to be a representation of everyone.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Detective Mosely - 13 January 2019 06:21 PM

One final thought here, that I want to share.

Regarding the potential “mustache twirling villain”.  The funny thing about this is that I think anyone that would have a problem with the way the topic of race is handled in this game would without a doubt celebrate this “villain” as a hero in real life.  Because honestly, his acts can be totally justified.

(spoilers, but if you’re not going to play the game anyway, not sure why you’d care about that.

1.  The main character is a teen wanted by the police and is suspected of killing a cop.  2.  This guy is a shop owner who recognizes you as being wanted, and you very likely just shoplifted from him.  Due to the circumstances of the game, I did.  (you’ve been homeless for days with little money and no food or shelter, not knowing how long you and your brother would be in this situation or how much money you’re going to need in the future—which for the record, is the real focus of the game.  Not race relations.)

If this guy performed a citizen arrest on a wanted teen like this, even if the teen was a bit beat up afterwards, there’s no doubt that he’d be lauded as a hero by many.  It changes the tone of the scene when you know the main character is innocent, but this guy doesn’t and no one else would either.

And then some of the comments you’ve referenced have said he becomes a cartoonish bad guy because he mentioned that this is why they need a wall?  How many people in real life are saying things like this?  This is frankly just an accurate depiction of what some people are like.  He didn’t say it to a random Mexican that was shopping in his store.  He said it to someone that was wanted for potentially killing a cop.  And again, this is just one character.  He’s not suppose to be a representation of everyone.

just bc I have not played the game doesnt mean I havent seen a lot of it. I have watched a lot of clips the game starts out the older brother has to decide to go to work or a party, his friend who is a girl steals his phone, you walk around his house and he makes different comments on things like how he and his dad watch lord of the rings etc…. skip ahead white bully named brett who is racist bc of what he yells to sean; which you seem to have forgot Mosely. brett screams to sean “Go back to your own country.”  Next incompetent cop happens, and his younger brother is shown to have telekinetic powers. etc… a lot of walking in the woods with some good dialogue between the brothers, a lot of the choices seem to revolve how older brother deals with younger brother. go to a gas station, see more types of bullies and people who openly speak racist comments to two young boys, guy kidnaps them, they escape with the help of a soy bean lefist who proudly proclaims everything is political (my eyes are still rolling around hard as crap in my head) they go to a hotel older brother says dad is dead younger brother goes nuts. So as you see I do know what Im talking about, but before that I will say some good things the dialogue between the brothers is good and the voice acting is solid. past that though this game is more in the vein of a telltale game than a life is strange game. I did play the first episode of life is strange 1 bc it was free, and it seemed to have a lot more real gameplay than this game. this seemed way more visual novelish.

Back to my real pt. my opinion was confirmed. the game devs have no earthly clue how to include politics subtly. the game wants you to believe that the mystical power of this game is that the younger brother is telekinetic, I assure you its not, his real power is to draw every racist, incompetent, bigoted, white person to him in one episode of a 5 episode game lol. We all know racism is out there, but these boys are on one unlucky streak of finding every racist moment and person in a couple of days time, or the more likely thing is the devs have no idea how to string these ideas together subtly and cohesively without beating you over the head with them.

just my 2 cents detective.

ps
you are right I dont care about spoilers, but I guess nobody else does either, bc this game is flopping hard so far. folks could be waiting for the full release but life is strange 1 sold over three million copies. I found this though..

So, now that Telltale collapsed, I thought we might want to watch the health of this genre and how new entries do in general. A lot of people were very surprised when people reporting on Telltale’s collapse said that only The Walking Dead Season 1, Minecraft, and their console publishing agreement for 7 Days To Die made money for the company, with the rest of their games losing money.

Life is Strange: Before The Storm’s Debut: 16,127 (launch day)
Life is Strange 2’s Debut: 4,316 (launch day)

The original game’s debut was 6,785 at launch with a $25 price, though obviously it was a brand new series then instead of a follow-up to a multimillion selling game.

I dont think it is just the politics that are drawing folks away,I think people miss the old cast and the cost of 40 bucks is too high for most who would give this a shot. As much as I dont like how the politics are being handled in the game, I hope the studio does not go the way of telltale.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 January 2019 10:09 PM

The original game’s debut was 6,785 at launch with a $25 price, though obviously it was a brand new series then instead of a follow-up to a multimillion selling game.

I dont think it is just the politics that are drawing folks away,I think people miss the old cast and the cost of 40 bucks is too high for most who would give this a shot. As much as I dont like how the politics are being handled in the game, I hope the studio does not go the way of telltale.

Agreed.  It probably was a bad decision to allow another studio to make Before The Storm in the interim, because I suspect that’s why BTS’s numbers were so much better out of the gate.  I think they took the momentum of LiS 1, and then personally I felt BtS had a really underwhelming conclusion.  Now LiS 2 is following that up in people’s minds instead of the first series.

Also btw I bought episode 1 for $5.  (Though I didn’t buy it immediately.  I was going to wait until more was released and then I saw a good sale on PSN)

his real power is to draw every racist, incompetent, bigoted, white person to him in one episode of a 5 episode game

I have to say though, I really don’t get why you’re saying this if you’ve seen a large part of the game.  As far as I remember there’s only one person in the whole chapter that even makes a single racist remark?

The way you’re describing the game and the game I experienced just don’t match up.  This was easier to understand when I thought you had only seen the demo.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Detective Mosely - 14 January 2019 09:38 PM

Agreed.  It probably was a bad decision to allow another studio to make Before The Storm in the interim, because I suspect that’s why BTS’s numbers were so much better out of the gate.  I think they took the momentum of LiS 1, and then personally I felt BtS had a really underwhelming conclusion.  Now LiS 2 is following that up in people’s minds instead of the first series.

Also btw I bought episode 1 for $5.  (Though I didn’t buy it immediately.  I was going to wait until more was released and then I saw a good sale on PSN)

his real power is to draw every racist, incompetent, bigoted, white person to him in one episode of a 5 episode game

I have to say though, I really don’t get why you’re saying this if you’ve seen a large part of the game.  As far as I remember there’s only one person in the whole chapter that even makes a single racist remark?

The way you’re describing the game and the game I experienced just don’t match up.  This was easier to understand when I thought you had only seen the demo.

Than you did indeed miss some. White bully at start yells at sean go back to your country when they fight. Lady clerk literally has a problem with two young latino males being there. And of course psycho white who roughs sean up says we need to build a wall. Not to mention making the cop look stupid by immediately pulling a gun out on two young kids that’s four events in a span of a couple of days of huge racism and F ups. I can understand one of the four happening but all four in one episode to me is lazy and bad writing

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m someone who wasn’t compelled to try the game when it launched—didn’t feel like getting to know all new characters and the initial trailers and info didn’t really grab me—but I’m so glad I eventually played it. I think this episode is stronger than the first ep of either of the previous Life Is Strange series.

My review went up on AG this morning. I’m really excited to play episode 2 next week and see how Captain Spirit ties in.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Holy hell the second episode was even worse than the first one. It’s so uneventful. I was just blown away by how little happened over the course of 3 whole hours.

By the second episode of Life Is Strange 1 we had crazy memorable moments like Kate’s rooftop scene. There’s nothing even CLOSE to that in Life Is Strange 2.

This episode doesn’t even have moments that compare to Chloe getting stuck on the train tracks. Or the gun confrontation with Frank. It’s so dull! Oh boy, Daniel levitates things when he shouldn’t sometimes! The dog you’ve had for roughly 3 minutes of game time died! Are you sad? No, I’m bored. Nice cheap shock value by the way.

You don’t even learn that much about the grandparents because everyone talks like they’re falling asleep and they’re trying to keep what happened to Sean & Daniel’s mom a secret.It’s that classic bad writing where everyone talks around a topic—the way nobody would ever do in real life—just so there can be a dramatic reveal later.

Aside from Daniel’s power there’s none of the paranormal mystery from the first game either. No cool future visions, weird deer spirits, no strange meteorological events. Instead of all that interesting stuff we get cringe worthy politics. Thanks for nothing, Dontnod.

And by cringe worthy politics I actually mean nothing at all. This episode dosen’t even have that. I’d actually love another embarrassing Trumper scene at this point. At least then something would be happening.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dang planet x tells us how you really feel lol.

I probably wont watch a playthrough of episode 2, but I went to the steam messageboard for the game and it was topic after topic of how your choices dont matter at all, and how most people hate the brothers, especially daniel bc he wont listen to sean. no matter what you “choose” the game steers you to the outcome it wants. than whats the pt of having choice.

to go off on a tangent im sick and tired of choices in games not mattering either from game to game aka mass effect 1 to 2 to mass effect 3 (your choices really dont matter and boil down to action points), or episode to episode aka this game and every telltale game ever. you think devs would have gotten better as the yrs have gone on, but there was far more choice in older games than there are today.

for example take my favorite series of all time called wing commander. the first game came out in 1990, that game had a complete losing path. what I mean is depending on your flying skills you could play an entire 6 to 12 hr game and lose at the end. which was a lot of coding for something most folks would never see, bc the player would try over and over again until they won each mission.

wing commander 4 was a fmv game starring mark hamil, biff from back to the future, and a host of other well known actors. WC4 had more dialogue choices that mattered aka it effected how others interacted with you and also had more real endings than all of the mass effect games combined, and that came out in like 96 or 97.

The only modern game that I played that handled choice somewhat well was the choices you made from witcher 2 carry over to witcher 3 and even that game had a host of problems, with characters being totally left out to others being very marginalized.

heck another game being discussed right now on this message board is blaade runner and it was released in 97 and it has more meaningful choices that truly effect the outcome than most modern day games.

I rather devs tell us the story they want to and steer the narrative how they see fit and leave out choice if the choices dont matter at all anyways, ok rant over lol.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Trailer for episode 3

Btw where is all the discussion? I remember LiS being one of the most popular games here. And now silence. Weird.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Have you played the last episode? There’s not much to say. Life Is Strange 1 was way better and had elements of super natural mystery that inspired discussion and debate. Life is Strange 2 is just plain dull.

The reason people aren’t talking about it as much is because the word of mouth isn’t there and the reason the word of mouth isn’t there is because its a totally underwhelming sequel. We’re getting to the point where even if they redeem the last few episodes it’s already too late. Episode 3 is make or break and I’ve got little confidence.

Hopefully Twin Mirror ends up being good.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top