• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Walking Dead - The Final Season

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Anyone playing/excited to play this one? First episode was out last week. I know Telltale track record in the last few games has been pretty average but they seem to trying to turn it around with finally a more improved engine.

Also I like that this will actually be an end and we’ll see the end of Clem’s story. First season is still has some of the best adventure game moments with Lee and Clem’s story.

Still going through season 3 (finished ep3), kind of hard to care about anyone besides Clem and AJ.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 17 August 2018 10:00 AM

Still going through season 3 (finished ep3), kind of hard to care about anyone besides Clem and AJ.

Same goes for the TV-series. After a while, you just stop caring. They should’ve had their final season several seasons ago… :-)
How fitting that the term for running a series into the ground by going on for far too many installments is “franchise zombie”. Grin

Best guess: if this season is successful enough, expect to see a “Final Final” Season next year. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve played through this first episode and largely found it to be good. I’m not sure whether I like the move to a more ‘free’ combat system - it just means you have to move about while pressing buttons to kill zombies, rather than just watching a scene - and if you’re caught by one zombie while another is nearby, you’re more than certainly dead.

I do like the interaction between Clem and AJ, with AJ learning from what you do/say with Clem. Leads to some humourous moments.

I just fear how this story is going to end. In that world, I can only see doom for one/both of those characters.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dale - 17 August 2018 02:14 PM

I just fear how this story is going to end. In that world, I can only see doom for one/both of those characters.

Which is, I presume, a big part of why people stop caring after a certain point…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 17 August 2018 02:40 PM
Dale - 17 August 2018 02:14 PM

Which is, I presume, a big part of why people stop caring after a certain point…

Some of it comes down to your choices ultimately being pointless. You can be playing a certain way to keep certain characters alive, but at some point Telltale will have decided that character is going to die regardless.

Spoilers for season 3 ahead:
Case in point being my loss of Kenny in season 3. He was perfectly alive and well at the end of my season 2, but got killed off in a flashback.

Nothing I could do was going to change that outcome.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 17 August 2018 12:57 PM

Same goes for the TV-series. After a while, you just stop caring. They should’ve had their final season several seasons ago… :-)
How fitting that the term for running a series into the ground by going on for far too many installments is “franchise zombie”. Grin

The comic series did a good job of maintaing interesting arcs. I only lost interest after the end of the Negan story since that actually felt like an ending and they’ve reached an answer to how to live. i’m still reading the compendiums from time to time but now it feels like they ran out of ideas.

On the other side I don’t think the TV series was very well handed from season 2. Most seasons were very slow with only the first and last episodes with stuff happening and the deviations from the comic book were mostly terrible.
Negan that was supposed to be a big thing like in the comic didn’t have much effect besides becoming a meme of violence. It’s bleeding out viewers although it’s still brings a lot of people weekly. I think I read Rick is leaving the series, that should be the end of it…

Best guess: if this season is successful enough, expect to see a “Final Final” Season next year. Tongue

I don’t think so in this case, maybe spin-offs like the Michonne one. Also can’t see it be very succesfull since its on a decline.

The fact that it’s the last one could lead to an interesting ending since they don’t have to worry about a sequel, allows for very different endings if they don’t do a rush job.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

wilco - 17 August 2018 05:46 PM

The comic series did a good job of maintaing interesting arcs. I only lost interest after the end of the Negan story since that actually felt like an ending and they’ve reached an answer to how to live. i’m still reading the compendiums from time to time but now it feels like they ran out of ideas.

You should get current with the comics. The whisperer war was awesome and the current arc has had some really big moments.

I feel bad that you’re playing Season 3. New Frontier is awful imo. I guess it’s worth it to bring your Clem through to S4 but geeze that game was a mess.

I just played episode 1 of TWD4 and it’s really good. Better exploration and interactivity than TTG has had in a while. Wish they would throw in a few legit puzzles like Batman had. Overall I’m happy with it, though. Influencing AJ with your actions is a cool idea, kind of fleshing out the concept of S1’s finale. The characters are the best the series has seen since S1, I feel. Also that cliffhanger was nuts.

I’d like to see them flesh out the consequence actions because so far there doesn’t seem to be much to them. Many of them are mandatory which seems to defeat the purpose? In a lot of ways this was a set-up/establishing ep and it did that job well. Hopefully they can make good on it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finishe Season 3, it’s pretty average, gameplay extremely limited and choices not making much sense. One thing that got me was at the end Javi cutting the hair of Clem…:cry: . Always those throwbacks to Season 1…
I did like some moments of Javi and David relationship, good characters, extremely good voice acting.

But most importantly, I’m up to date in Clem’s story and they didn’t ruin the character. Smile
Your impressions for leave me hopeful.

PlanetX - 18 August 2018 04:44 PM

You should get current with the comics. The whisperer war was awesome and the current arc has had some really big moments.

I’ll get to it, just felt to complete after dealing with the all-out war and Negan and didn’t seem like necessary or I wasn’t ready to see everything go to hell again… Neutral

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve started episode 1 of the Final Season and jumping from Season 3 the difference is staggering. New combat system is ok, does give a bit of more freedom but what I really like is the art and colours (New engine looking good) but also all the small exploration and character moments. Promising,

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the episode, very intense ending!
Best Walking Dead since Season 1.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Agreed. A genuinely likable ensemble cast, returned focus toward exploration and the new features make this the best episode in a long time. Also the visuals look phenomenal. This season has the promise to deliver something on par with S1 depending on where they take it.

Again, I hope they flesh out the consequences actions and throw in some problem solving in future episodes. It would really elevate the game even further.

Something that’s interesting is, if you read the preview material for LiS2 (on this site), there’s a bit about influencing your younger brother through the actions you take in the game. Very similar concept to what TellTale is attempting to do with Clem & AJ. It’ll be interesting to see who executes on it to greater effect.

Life Is Strange 2 is looking very impressive from the footage they just put out. Plus DontNod has Black Mirror in the works as well. I know they also make other kinds of games like their RPG Vampyr… But DontNod might be trying to come for that episodic adventure game throne TellTale’s been sitting on for a minute.

The two games are low key going head to head. Similar concepts being explored, both primarily have a primarily teenage cast and TWD 4’s second episode drops the same week as LiS 2’s first episode.

We got a fight!

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

PlanetX - 22 August 2018 06:50 PM

The two games are low key going head to head.

If a zombie apocalypse is your idea of “low key” I would be intrigued to know what high key is Crazy

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

PlanetX - 22 August 2018 06:50 PM

Agreed. A genuinely likable ensemble cast, returned focus toward exploration and the new features make this the best episode in a long time. Also the visuals look phenomenal. This season has the promise to deliver something on par with S1 depending on where they take it.

Again, I hope they flesh out the consequences actions and throw in some problem solving in future episodes. It would really elevate the game even further.

Something that’s interesting is, if you read the preview material for LiS2 (on this site), there’s a bit about influencing your younger brother through the actions you take in the game. Very similar concept to what TellTale is attempting to do with Clem & AJ. It’ll be interesting to see who executes on it to greater effect.

Life Is Strange 2 is looking very impressive from the footage they just put out. Plus DontNod has Black Mirror in the works as well. I know they also make other kinds of games like their RPG Vampyr… But DontNod might be trying to come for that episodic adventure game throne TellTale’s been sitting on for a minute.

The two games are low key going head to head. Similar concepts being explored, both primarily have a primarily teenage cast and TWD 4’s second episode drops the same week as LiS 2’s first episode.

We got a fight!

Thought the same thing watching the LiS2 trailer and description. Let’s see how the 2 brothers relationship works.
Concerning Walkind Dead and the ending I do have to wonder how much an influence we can on AJ and what impact that will have. For example in the end AJ shooting Marion was shocking but I don’t think there was any way to prevent that and I was even trying to tell violence was not always necessary earlier.
I agree that ensemble cast and exploration is very good, I hope they don’t start rushing things in next episodes like it sometimes happens. And it does look gorgeous, love the colours. Giving me a lot of hype to see WolfAmongUsS2.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Luhr28 - 22 August 2018 08:43 PM

Thought the same thing watching the LiS2 trailer and description. Let’s see how the 2 brothers relationship works.
Concerning Walkind Dead and the ending I do have to wonder how much an influence we can on AJ and what impact that will have. For example in the end AJ shooting Marion was shocking but I don’t think there was any way to prevent that and I was even trying to tell violence was not always necessary earlier.
I agree that ensemble cast and exploration is very good, I hope they don’t start rushing things in next episodes like it sometimes happens. And it does look gorgeous, love the colours. Giving me a lot of hype to see WolfAmongUsS2.

Yeah I think for big moments like that there’s just no way around it; TellTale is gonna bottleneck you. I’m hoping they step it up and really deliver some meaningfully divergent paths. In the wake of Detroit Become Human the standard for this kind of design has been elevated.

[spoiler]I’m not gonna hold my breath and expect THAT level of branching. But being that this is the last season, and they don’t have to worry about tying all the choices into another game, I’m hoping for more variation than usual.
[/spoiler]
It all remains to be seen, the real fruits of stuff like this ideally will be culmination 1/2 episodes down the road. TellTale hasn’t been shy about their desire (and need) to get back on their A game but also push things forward. So I’ve got high hopes.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-08-20

PM

I agree with many of the other posts here - Episode 1 of The Final Season is a return to form, and I genuinely liked it. I hadn’t felt as much of a connection since Season 1 (2 wasn’t bad…3 left a lot to be desired), so I’m cautiously optimistic for a fitting end to Clem’s arc. I fear it’ll be tragic, but then again, I never got the feeling that Walking Dead was about sailing off into the sunset as the credits rolled.  Wink

Point and Click:  An Adventure Game Podcast
Direct Link (Podbean) | iTunes

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am holding out for hopefully a physical release.

I knew, I’m old school. This game is still an interactive movie, but I like interactive movies.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top