• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games by Asian developers

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

I’m trying to do some research for a project I have in mind, and one of the questions I’m want to answer is: what are some good indie adventure games made by Asian developers which are either playable in English or need no translation?

Here are some I’ve come up with:

- Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders (full disclosure, I made it)
- Detention
- Luna The Shadow Dust
- Tales of the Neon Sea

Remarkably, if we don’t consider visual novels, that’s all I was able to come up with.

Anyone know of any other game that should be on this list?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Shenmue III.

Whether you consider that an indie game, or an adventure game is debatable in both cases. I suppose it being an Asian game doesn’t need to be debated though.

The hardest part whether it’s good or not is up to you to decide.

Anyway, there are some other games too, but I can’t remember them clearly right now. At least Tokyo Dark comes to mind immediately.

The Rewinder looks interesting, but isn’t released yet.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Hi,

I really like Detective Di. It was cool to get to play in that historical setting.

To answer your question:
One of my favorite games To the Moon along with the other games by Freebird Games (main developer is Kan Gao from Ontario.)

When the Past Was Around - Indonesian developers Mojken, the publisher Toge is also releasing A Space for the unbound which looks promising.

Another unreleased game that looks promising is The Crimson Diamond by Julia Minamata also from Ontario.

Rakuen by Laura Shigihara

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The only one I can think of is an old one from 1999 called The Legend of Lotus Spring.  It was developed by Women Wise/Xing Xing.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Murder in Tehran’s Alleys 1933
GAG: The Impotent Mystery
Red Comrades Save the Galaxy (and sequels)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I believe Sense A Cyberpunk Ghost Story should be included in this list.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

A few more more:

Forgotton Anne by Throughline Games (Creator is Alfred Nguyen)
Florence (Lead designer is Ken Wong)

Another unreleased but promising looking game is Chinatown Detective Agency by General Interactive Co. from Singapore.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Luhr28 - 16 January 2021 03:17 AM

Isn’t that a Russian series?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

GateKeeper - 16 January 2021 12:31 PM

It is Russian series, about as Slavic as it gets. Maybe you had something different in mind, Luhr28? There’s nothing Asian about those developers, even if they tried

Neofeud, on the other hand, would be fitting

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Not sure about the word “indie”. The Clock Tower horror series (and the first game for SNES in particular) immediately comes to mind, but it was developed by Human Entertainment which was pretty big in Japan (I think). On the other hand, the one-man freeware metroidvanian game Cave Story is a pure definition of “indie” that inspired thousands of followers, but it is a platformer first and foremost, although the adventure element is very strong, stronger than in many traditional adventures. I’d go with it.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

DCast - 16 January 2021 01:43 PM
GateKeeper - 16 January 2021 12:31 PM

It is Russian series, about as Slavic as it gets. Maybe you had something different in mind, Luhr28? There’s nothing Asian about those developers, even if they tried

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

“By population, about 110 million of the 144 million people, or 77%, live in the European part.”

Unless you have some specific knowledge that those games were produced some place to the east from Ural, the likelihood of those being non-Asian games is very high. Also, the fact that the biggest and most powerful cities where games are usually produced (Moscow, St. Petersburg, etc.) are located on the European side makes it all the more likely that the games have very little to do with Asia.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 16 January 2021 05:25 PM

“By population, about 110 million of the 144 million people, or 77%, live in the European part.”

Unless you have some specific knowledge that those games were produced some place to the east from Ural, the likelihood of those being non-Asian games is very high. Also, the fact that the biggest and most powerful cities where games are usually produced (Moscow, St. Petersburg, etc.) are located on the European side makes it all the more likely that the games have very little to do with Asia.

I really don’t think the original poster is that picky. He even called his own game, Detective Di, Asian when it was produced by a team in Montreal.

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

Luhr28 - 16 January 2021 06:00 PM
GateKeeper - 16 January 2021 05:25 PM

I really don’t think the original poster is that picky. He even called his own game, Detective Di, Asian when it was produced by a team in Montreal.

You are right that I did not have a strict view of exactly what I considered Asian. Though I think Gatekeeper has a point about lumping in the entire Russian territory.

However, my question specifies “Asian developers,” as in those primarily responsible for making the game have some considerable trace of Asian ancestry. In fact, I think it irrelevant that I live in Montreal. That simply makes me Asian Canadian (I was born in Vietnam to a Chinese father and Vietnamese mother). I don’t think my “Asianess” is a question.

Honestly, debating borders only tangentially addresses the topic. At heart, I care about Asian “voices” in gaming, in particular those inclined towards narrative-driven adventure games we love so much. There exact current location is less important—sorry I didn’t lay that out more clearly but I greatly appreciate the discussion :- )

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

TheLongestJourney - 15 January 2021 09:31 PM

Hi,

I really like Detective Di. It was cool to get to play in that historical setting.

To answer your question:
One of my favorite games To the Moon along with the other games by Freebird Games (main developer is Kan Gao from Ontario.)

When the Past Was Around - Indonesian developers Mojken, the publisher Toge is also releasing A Space for the unbound which looks promising.

Another unreleased game that looks promising is The Crimson Diamond by Julia Minamata also from Ontario.

Rakuen by Laura Shigihara

Thanks for the compliment!

I knew about Toge but did not know much about When The Past Was Around. I think it definitely fits the bill.

The “overhead camera” games like To The Moon and Rakuen are really interesting too.

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

TheLongestJourney - 16 January 2021 11:16 AM

A few more more:

Forgotton Anne by Throughline Games (Creator is Alfred Nguyen)
Florence (Lead designer is Ken Wong)

Another unreleased but promising looking game is Chinatown Detective Agency by General Interactive Co. from Singapore.

Chinatown Detective Agency does look very promising!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top