• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Trying to get (mostly) old adventure games to run on my TV via Laptop.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-07-24

PM

So I just purchased a new laptop and have been messing around with hooking it up to the TV in my bedroom and playing adventure games at night from the comfort of my bed using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have an older 57” Hitachi Projection HDTV with DVI input and I’ve got an HDMI to DVI cable running from my laptop to the tv. Broken Sword 2 (GOG version) was my first candidate. With some minor settings tweaks, changed the scaling to “center image”, it works almost perfectly though the top and bottom pop-up icons/inventory menus appear slightly off screen.

Next I tried Phantasmagoria (GOG version). I can get it to play in a small corner of the screen (which looks tiny on the tv screen) but when I run it full screen it only shows on the laptop screen and the tv goes black. I’ve tried virtually every resolution setting possible.

Today I began trying to run The Black Mirror (the first one-disc version) and if I have the HDMI cable plugged in before launching the game I receive an error message telling me that “True Color (32bit)is not supported, 800x600, switching to High Color (16bit)”. The game then crashes. If I launch the game first and then plug the cable in I bypass the error message but get a black screen on both the laptop and the tv. Again I’ve tried virtually every resolution setting possible including the game’s native 800x600 as well as 16 bit color. The game runs perfectly on the laptop at any resolution settings when the cable is not connected.

I have the monitor options set to clone the image so both the laptop and tv display simultaneously (which BS2 does perfectly) and the laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 video card. Interestingly my tv switches to 480p when I run BS2 but remains in 1080i with the other titles.

So I’m curious if anyone has experience with a similar set-up and has any thoughts on what I can do to get Phantasmagoria to run full screen on the tv or Black Mirror to run at all?

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

Lupin The Third - 18 June 2012 09:18 PM

So I just purchased a new laptop and have been messing around with hooking it up to the TV in my bedroom and playing adventure games at night from the comfort of my bed using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have an older 57” Hitachi Projection HDTV with DVI input and I’ve got an HDMI to DVI cable running from my laptop to the tv. Broken Sword 2 (GOG version) was my first candidate. With some minor settings tweaks, changed the scaling to “center image”, it works almost perfectly though the top and bottom pop-up icons/inventory menus appear slightly off screen.

Next I tried Phantasmagoria (GOG version). I can get it to play in a small corner of the screen (which looks tiny on the tv screen) but when I run it full screen it only shows on the laptop screen and the tv goes black. I’ve tried virtually every resolution setting possible.

Today I began trying to run The Black Mirror (the first one-disc version) and if I have the HDMI cable plugged in before launching the game I receive an error message telling me that “True Color (32bit)is not supported, 800x600, switching to High Color (16bit)”. The game then crashes. If I launch the game first and then plug the cable in I bypass the error message but get a black screen on both the laptop and the tv. Again I’ve tried virtually every resolution setting possible including the game’s native 800x600 as well as 16 bit color. The game runs perfectly on the laptop at any resolution settings when the cable is not connected.

I have the monitor options set to clone the image so both the laptop and tv display simultaneously (which BS2 does perfectly) and the laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 video card. Interestingly my tv switches to 480p when I run BS2 but remains in 1080i with the other titles.

So I’m curious if anyone has experience with a similar set-up and has any thoughts on what I can do to get Phantasmagoria to run full screen on the tv or Black Mirror to run at all?

you’re best off not using Clone when trying to play games as it means both screens are treated as if they can handle the same resolutions/refresh rates which may not be the case. Switch it so that only the tv is active and you’ll probably have more luck with some of them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top