• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

“go to last post” link broken?

Total Posts: 448

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Just noticed that using the “go to last post” link in any multiple page thread takes me to somewhere definitely not the last post of said thread (heh, say THAT three times quickly!). See screen shot below for an example.

click on thumbnail for larger pic!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sounds like the same issue that Karlok is having.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 448

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Similar, but not quite the same…maybe kinda? I’m on a Windows 10 PC using FireFox, not a smart phone. I rarely log on to (logon to? log onto?) the site unless I have something to contribute to a post/thread, but I lurk every day. Today was the first time I noticed this happening, and the behavior seems to be random. In some threads clicking on “go to last post” takes me half way down the first page, other threads it takes me toward the middle pages, and on yet others it will take me to the last post.

As a test and to provide just one example, I chose the thread shown on the screen shot above. I rarely look at that thread, but I know I’ve looked at it in the past year. The last time was definitely NOT in 2015, and yet that is where I was sent when clicking on “go to last post” link. If the intent is to take me/us to the last post I/we read in a particular thread, it isn’t really working that way, at least not today.

Another example: in the “Adventure game sound… uh, game” thread, which I haven’t looked at this year, clicking on the last post link sends me to page 130 which is from October 2018. There are a couple pages after that, so why didn’t it take me to page 132, or page 1?

If I get a vote, my preference would be for that link to take me to the last post of a thread, not the last post I read. If I want to navigate to something I missed earlier, I can always do that. Besides, I don’t understand how the forum software could determine what post I last read if I’m not logged on to the site and clear the cookies from my browser whenever I close it.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

This should be fixed now. It was going to the last _read_ post instead of the last post. Fixed this now, only the icon will go to the last read post now instead of last post.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Mike the Wino - 13 November 2018 05:30 PM

If I get a vote, my preference would be for that link to take me to the last post of a thread, not the last post I read. If I want to navigate to something I missed earlier, I can always do that. Besides, I don’t understand how the forum software could determine what post I last read if I’m not logged on to the site and clear the cookies from my browser whenever I close it.

When you log in and read a forum thread, it stores when you read that thread. Figuring out what the past post was you read is simply looking at when you read the thread last time and seeing what posts were after that.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CaliMonk - 19 November 2018 03:06 AM

When you log in and read a forum thread, it stores when you read that thread. Figuring out what the past post was you read is simply looking at when you read the thread last time and seeing what posts were after that.

So if you only read page 1 of a 2-page thread, the posts on the second page will be considered “read” as well?

Just a question, not a criticism / something that needs fixing.  Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 19 November 2018 03:52 AM
CaliMonk - 19 November 2018 03:06 AM

So if you only read page 1 of a 2-page thread, the posts on the second page will be considered “read” as well?

Just a question, not a criticism / something that needs fixing.  Innocent

There’s a bit more logic to it than this actually, but largely said that would be correct. It’ll be quite the stretch if I’d have to figure out how to determine where you’re browser is scrolling, which page it is and then use that to communicate back to the server where you are at from a view perspective.

Do-able? Well I guess with enough time, but not really worth it IMHO.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CaliMonk - 19 November 2018 05:00 AM

It’ll be quite the stretch if I’d have to figure out how to determine where you’re browser is scrolling, which page it is and then use that to communicate back to the server where you are at from a view perspective.

I don’t think other forum software looks at where the browser is scrolling, but does keep tabs on which pages were opened and which pages weren’t.

Do-able? Well I guess with enough time, but not really worth it IMHO.

I agree that changing this isn’t worth it.

I was merely asking to understand how it works. Professional deformation. Grin

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

CaliMonk - 19 November 2018 03:05 AM

This should be fixed now. It was going to the last _read_ post instead of the last post. Fixed this now, only the icon will go to the last read post now instead of last post.

My problem with this approach is those icons don’t appear to be clickable on mobile, which is a hindrance to what was a really useful feature.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Ah yes, it’s hard to please everyone eh?

I’ll re-add a link that makes it easier to go to the _last read_ post as well :-)

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Implemented this now, if the last read post is different from the last post you’ll see an extra link that enables you to go to the last read one.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Excellent. That’ll make my lunchtime browsing much easier!

Thanks Ivo.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks CaliMonk!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top