• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLindaLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Getting Discworld Noir Running on PC

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

I badly want to play through my favourite point and click adventure, but having trouble on Windows 10.

I’ve tried using the method via this link:

http://blog.ihobo.com/2015/02/how-to-run-discworld-noir.html

But it’s just not happening. I can get to the start screen and the beginning cutscene. But by the end of the cutscene it crashes.

Anyone know of an alternative, or experience on how to get it working via the upper link’s method?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Replayed it 6 months ago. I’m pretty sure I had to run it using Win98 running inside DOSBox—which might be a bit more complicated than you’d like. I can’t remember if I tried XP in VirtualBox; that might work too, and is definitely easier to set up.

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

This is Discworld Noir, which is much later than DOS, so I doubt it was dosbox.

I’ll try the virtualbox option, but it indeed seems to be quite complicated to setup.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Terramax - 29 August 2017 05:44 PM

This is Discworld Noir, which is much later than DOS, so I doubt it was dosbox.

As I said above, it was Discworld Noir running on a Windows 98 that had been installed inside DOSBox. It’s a PITA to set up, but it works.

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

OK, apologies.

Well, I’ve tried everything.

Virtual PC doesn’t work on Windows 10, or at least not without a heck of a lot of work.

Spent over an hour on Virtualbox, but that doesn’t work as can’t find a way to get 256colours.

Hell, even tried getting an iso of the playstation version and playing on a PSX emulator, and even THAT doesn’t work.

The closest I’ve gotten is via the link I put in my first post, but when putting in window mode (won’t work in full screen) the footage is only on the left hand side, and the colours go completely crazy.

This game is an absolute b@stard to get running on Windows 10, it seems.

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

Managed to get the game running. Ironically, I used the first method and found that if you put the game in minimal screen mode for the first few cutscenes, then put it back into full screen, the game works 99% properly after that. Played through about 20% of the game thus far, and only one other crash, very early on, since.

Man, I love this game. Still my favourite adventure, even after all these years.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top