• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit – a charming European mystery adventure

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Šarūnas Ledas - 23 January 2021 01:29 PM

We’re taking part in The Big Adventure Event on Steam! Smile You can play the demo during the event and Wishlist it. We’re also hosting a live developer stream in 30 min., so tune in here:

Is it the same demo as b4, and when is voice acting being included

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2018-06-04

PM

Yep, it’s the same demo. As for voice acting – that’s something we’re really itching to add to the game. But it only makes sense to start recording when all dialogues are written, which is something we’re getting closer to, but not quite there yet. It will be very exciting to hear our characters speak Wink

Recently released Crowns and Pawns
Very proud of having been part of Broken Sword 2.5

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I know there’s tons of ads for the game all over the site, but I’m playing it now and I think it’s a game a lot of people on here will enjoy. It does a good job at giving that classic feeling of traveling across the world solving an ancient mystery.

The novel aspect of choosing your character’s appearance is a really nice touch. I hope it shows up in more games going forward.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I also bought the game today and I think I’ve already gotten pretty far, the graphics are pretty, the voice acting is great for all the main characters,but some of the minor characters are a little iffy. Animations leave a lot to be desired, a lot of items just appear and disappear without ever really being touched, if you know what I mean. kind of cheap looking. Puzzles are mostly fun but there are a few timing ones that are very infuriating, one at the very beginning of the game which I knew what to do but had to try it 15 times before I finally beat the timer. I’m finding the story to be very interesting not on the level of broken sword but cool, still needs to be fleshed out a whole lot more it jumps very quickly. The fact that you can constantly change outfits for the main character is actually cool and I spent way too long doing it for some odd reason. So far im glad i bought it.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I decided to give it a try, while my brain was telling me not to because of the casual “The Sims” look.

Luckily it’s not bad. If you take away the dress-up mini-game it reminds me of a lot of 00s adventure games like Secret Files. (The Steam page mentions Broken Sword a lot but I’m not feeling it).

The puzzles, much like Secret Files, are a mixture of okay and awful - among the latter are ones which require a lot of guesswork and don’t make a lot of sense in the story either. It’s fairly obvious while you’re solving them that the devs came up with them first and then tried to crowbar them into the game.

So no Broken Sword, but a decent time-waster from what I’ve played so far.

Jdawg445 - 07 May 2022 11:30 PM

the voice acting is great for all the main characters,but some of the minor characters are a little iffy.

And as one of the major characters with great voice acting are you including Joris, the “friend from Lithuania” who sounds like an urban American? His face is on the advertising along with Milda, the character we play, so I’d assume he’d be major.

Not that I can blame the devs - prime Lithuanian voice actors must be hard to come by. But surely they could have found someone sounding vaguely European?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 08 May 2022 04:35 AM

And as one of the major characters with great voice acting are you including Joris, the “friend from Lithuania” who sounds like an urban American? His face is on the advertising along with Milda, the character we play, so I’d assume he’d be major.

Not that I can blame the devs - prime Lithuanian voice actors must be hard to come by. But surely they could have found someone sounding vaguely European?

Grin

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 08 May 2022 04:35 AM

I decided to give it a try, while my brain was telling me not to because of the casual “The Sims” look.

Luckily it’s not bad. If you take away the dress-up mini-game it reminds me of a lot of 00s adventure games like Secret Files. (The Steam page mentions Broken Sword a lot but I’m not feeling it).

The puzzles, much like Secret Files, are a mixture of okay and awful - among the latter are ones which require a lot of guesswork and don’t make a lot of sense in the story either. It’s fairly obvious while you’re solving them that the devs came up with them first and then tried to crowbar them into the game.

So no Broken Sword, but a decent time-waster from what I’ve played so far.

Jdawg445 - 07 May 2022 11:30 PM

the voice acting is great for all the main characters,but some of the minor characters are a little iffy.

Not that I can blame the devs - prime Lithuanian voice actors must be hard to come by. But surely tey could have found someone sounding vaguely European?

While this is certainly not broken sword, if you think this game was anywhere as bad to secret files in puzzle design, voice acting, or dialogue, Then I don’t know what to say. You are correct joris, does not sound European, but at least he sounds like he is human and not like a robot like in secret files, where everybody sounded like a robot and had no clue how to emote dialogue. Then as far as puzzles go, I’ve had nothing close to dumb like taping a walkie-talkie to a cat’s back as far as craziness our stupidity goes. the only puzzle that came close to being kind of eye rolling so far, is how you get rid of the trumpet player at the start of the game. While everything is subjective, if you think Secret files is even close to the quality of this, than I just don’t have much to say other than I think you’re crazy lol.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’ve only played an hour or so, but yes, so far it’s as bad (or worse than) Secret Files.

There’s a “translation” puzzle which has you slot words into a text, simply by guessing. No clues which one is right, we don’t even see the original text, Just guess the right word.

There’s a puzzle where you have to stop a busker from playing for several minutes by putting lemon juice on his trumpet

There’s the mandatory “distract librarian’s cat to get library card” puzzle which I’m on now.

Those are stupid puzzles, and I don’t see them as any worse than Secret Files.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 08 May 2022 07:26 PM

I’ve only played an hour or so, but yes, so far it’s as bad (or worse than) Secret Files.

There’s a “translation” puzzle which has you slot words into a text, simply by guessing. No clues which one is right, we don’t even see the original text, Just guess the right word.

There’s a puzzle where you have to stop a busker from playing for several minutes by putting lemon juice on his trumpet

There’s the mandatory “distract librarian’s cat to get library card” puzzle which I’m on now.

Those are stupid puzzles, and I don’t see them as any worse than Secret Files.

The get the library ID and password from libarian is not a crazy puzzle at all, in fact it makes pretty logical sense depending on what profession you choose, you have to solve the puzzle different ways depending if you’re a photographer, psychologist, or programmer. All three ways make perfect sense, once again it was nowhere near as bad as capturing a rat to distract the guard in secret files, to then put a pin down with poison on it to knock him out when he sits on it. Lol. The translation puzzle was also fine, if you read the note, it is pretty obvious what words you’re supposed to put in the blanks. It took me 3 minutes to solve. I already agreed with you that the trumpet puzzle was kind of stupid at the beginning, but not walkie talkie on cats back stupid lol.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 May 2022 07:44 PM

Lol. The translation puzzle was also fine, if you read the note, it is pretty obvious what words you’re supposed to put in the blanks.

It’s really not obvious. Why is “Grand Architect” more obvious than “Grand Building”? Why is “keys” more obvious than “coronation”? Why are we even doing this when we have a translator standing next to us, and we are are somehow only able to translate half the document while the remaining words we have to guess? At least taping the walkie-talkie to the cat is a puzzle. The guard needs a distraction and the objects combined do the job. It’s dumb but it’s a puzzle. Translating by throwing equally viable words into a document isn’t.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 08 May 2022 11:31 PM
Jdawg445 - 08 May 2022 07:44 PM

Lol. The translation puzzle was also fine, if you read the note, it is pretty obvious what words you’re supposed to put in the blanks.

It’s really not obvious. Why is “Grand Architect” more obvious than “Grand Building”? Why is “keys” more obvious than “coronation”? Why are we even doing this when we have a translator standing next to us, and we are are somehow only able to translate half the document while the remaining words we have to guess? At least taping the walkie-talkie to the cat is a puzzle. The guard needs a distraction and the objects combined do the job. It’s dumb but it’s a puzzle. Translating by throwing equally viable words into a document isn’t.

Grand architect makes more sense because the whole letter is about crowns, Kings and gods, an architect implies a living thing such as a god, a building is not sentient. For the record I’m not saying the puzzle is perfect it could have been clued better, but I just don’t think it’s as off the wall like some puzzles in secret files. there’s a big gap there.

One area that this game did become like secret files that I did not like was at your grandfather’s house, too many convoluted inventory puzzles that got boring just like they did in secret files. That’s why I did like the next set of puzzles in crown and pawns because they got away from over complicated inventory puzzles and got you to use your brain and logic. Have you gotten to the puzzle where you have to figure out the three religious locations that house the keys in the manuscript, I thought two of them were signposted very well but the third one where you had to use an inventory object was obtuse

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I played for about 3 hours today and this section of the game has some really great puzzles and some really stupid puzzles including a ridiculous cat puzzle LOL.

There was also some needless backtracking to a location I haven’t really had to go back to since the beginning of the game. Let me just say I spent about 35 minutes trying to make a new outfit like we had to do in the first part of the game and that was not the solution.

I finally figured that out but I did have to look at a walkthrough one time for a 3D printing puzzle because it made it seem like it was a weight puzzle but then you had to add a random item, and I would have never guessed that.

I am still really enjoying the game but the puzzles are up and down now

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 May 2022 06:45 PM

I played for about 3 hours today and this section of the game has some really great puzzles and some really stupid puzzles including a ridiculous cat puzzle LOL.

There was also some needless backtracking to a location I haven’t really had to go back to since the beginning of the game. Let me just say I spent about 35 minutes trying to make a new outfit like we had to do in the first part of the game and that was not the solution.

I finally figured that out but I did have to look at a walkthrough one time for a 3D printing puzzle because it made it seem like it was a weight puzzle but then you had to add a random item, and I would have never guessed that.

I enjoyed the cat puzzle! And I had no problem with the 3D printer.

It seems to be the things other people have no problems with that cause me issues. Like waiting for the bus to Belarus - the travel agent told me it would come soon and she would text me when it arrived, which in adventure game language meant there was something I hadn’t done yet. But I couldn’t figure out what that thing was and spent an hour wandering around talking to everyone again, using everything on everything.

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 10 May 2022 07:34 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 May 2022 06:45 PM

I enjoyed the cat puzzle! And I had no problem with the 3D printer.

It seems to be the things other people have no problems with that cause me issues. Like waiting for the bus to Belarus - the travel agent told me it would come soon and she would text me when it arrived, which in adventure game language meant there was something I hadn’t done yet. But I couldn’t figure out what that thing was and spent an hour wandering around talking to everyone again, using everything on everything.

As far as the printing puzzle you knew to randomly add the screw to get the weight right?. I did enjoy the puzzle figuring out what artifact to pull by looking at all the former rulers centuries. 

The game also has some really good humor speaking of the bus, the bus driver made me feel super small in a very funny way, after I got my outfit on.

For the record the cat puzzle wasn’t hard but just a little over-the-top, it kind of reminded me of the lemonade puzzle at the beginning of the game, taking two extra steps that you really didn’t need.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 May 2022 09:42 PM

As far as the printing puzzle you knew to randomly add the screw to get the weight right?.  .

I wouldn’t say I knew. I just thought it was something I would try, since getting the weights right seemed impossible with just the cubes. I really don’t think I expected it to work.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top