• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ghost of tsushima

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im about 12 to 15 hrs in, and still on the first part, I just unlocked all stances. I think I might have over leveled myself bc even on hard im slaughtering the enemy. I hope it gets somewhat hard again. this is the first action/rpg that I have role-played in forever. I actually change armor depending on who I am helping and what I am doing lol. Mainly I switch between the samurai and the ronin armors. I also always keep on the same mask, bc in my head canon that is what the mongols see at night when they go to sleep, my ghost mask lol

Also I love the characters and story. I read some reviews where they were saying jin is boring, but I dont see that at all, and I love the main villain. the Voice actor for him is perfect. Its nice to see a game not trying to inject humor where it doesnt belong. Although I did chuckle once or twice when the strawhats and I were trying to steal food from the fort and boats.

As far as the stealth goes, it is far from perfect, and the enemies are dumb, but when you unlock more tools it becomes more fun. I also LOVE the fact the game doesnt punish you for playing as a ghost.

I dont know if the loop is going to be as fun 30 hrs in but for now im having a blast. My one complaint is I feel some of the sub stories dont need to be 8 or 9 chapters long. I feel like some of that drags, even though I want to see the ending to them.

This game feels like what Assasins creed always wanted to be but couldnt quite get there

So far this is my second favorite game this yr behind ff7remake

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rayan008 - 24 August 2020 09:39 PM

First time I played the first part where they charged the mongols it sent shivers down my back. Such a goated game

It is im about half way through the 2nd act though and it is becoming a bit of a slog. Im pretty leveled up, and like most open world games, like assassin creed, there is just too much padd9ng

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 August 2020 12:13 PM

there is just too much padding

The older you get, the more you’ll notice it. I had way more fun with the much shorter Onimushas and the Way of the Samurais back then… Everyone dislikes these collectathons yet they keep buying them because of the misguided notion that padding means value-for-money.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Maroko - 23 September 2020 02:30 PM
Jdawg445 - 25 August 2020 12:13 PM

there is just too much padding

The older you get, the more you’ll notice it. I had way more fun with the much shorter Onimushas and the Way of the Samurais back then… Everyone dislikes these collectathons yet they keep buying them because of the misguided notion that padding means value-for-money.

exactly, we went from games like call of duty charging 60 dollar for a 5 hr campaign, to open world games having to be a 100 hr plus.

I think there is a sweet spot and for me that is 45-60 hrs.

For instance I love persona 5. one of my fav jrpgs of all time. But that game is over a 100 hrs long, and they just released the royal edition which adds 50 more hrs of gameplay. I loooove that game but Im not going to replay a 150 hrs anytime soon.

That is one reason im really enjoying mafia definitive edition that just came out. It is an “open world” game but it is a narrative driven 12 hour experience without meaningless sidequest. Its like a breathe of fresh air and being only 12 hrs, that means im far more likely to reinstall it and play it again in about a yr, like I would re watch a great movie.

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 September 2020 12:36 PM

For instance I love persona 5. one of my fav jrpgs of all time. But that game is over a 100 hrs long, and they just released the royal edition which adds 50 more hrs of gameplay. I loooove that game but Im not going to replay a 150 hrs anytime soon.

Gosh, I remember enjoying Persona 3 Portable back then but stopping three-quarters of the way because I just got tired of all its padding and verbosity.
I couldn’t even imagine taking in all those hours of P5 Gasp

That is one reason im really enjoying mafia definitive edition that just came out. It is an “open world” game but it is a narrative driven 12 hour experience without meaningless sidequest.

But don’t you think Hangar13 made a huge disservice to the experience by not sprinkling a few neat sidestories to flesh out its world? It’s such a beautifully rendered scenery, yet so shallow… I agree with everything you’ve said, but imo Mafia DE is too extreme of an example.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Maroko - 28 September 2020 03:04 PM

Gosh, I remember enjoying Persona 3 Portable back then but stopping three-quarters of the way because I just got tired of all its padding and verbosity.
I couldn’t even imagine taking in all those hours of P5 Gasp

That is one reason im really enjoying mafia definitive edition that just came out. It is an “open world” game but it is a narrative driven 12 hour experience without meaningless sidequest.

But don’t you think Hangar13 made a huge disservice to the experience by not sprinkling a few neat sidestories to flesh out its world? It’s such a beautifully rendered scenery, yet so shallow… I agree with everything you’ve said, but imo Mafia DE is too extreme of an example.

No I love it, I played the original back in what 03, and they really fleshed out the characters a lot in this remake. They had a story to tell they get in and get out no padding. I love the fact you can go to classic mode or make it more simple here to just get thee story. My only complaint is the AI is brain-dead but thats most games these days aka beautiful graphics and nice stories with brain-dead enemies.

Very few games offer sidequest I really care about, minus the witcher. Even red dead redemption 2, became tedious bc of random chance encounters.

Although sometimes games do the exact opposite like mass effect 2. mass effect 2 was all about the sidequest/loyalty missions and completely forgot about a competent main storyline. I know im one of the few who does not really like mass effect 2 all that much. PS I also prefer witcher 2 over witcher 3, bc I like world hubs more than open world games, and the political intrigue was far more interesting to me than ciri

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

I hope we aren’t derailing the thread too much… Innocent

Jdawg445 - 28 September 2020 04:56 PM

No I love it, I played the original back in what 03, and they really fleshed out the characters a lot in this remake. They had a story to tell they get in and get out no padding.

BUT PROFESSOR (blasts wide-eyed Luke), isn’t driving from point A to point B multiple times within a bare open-world setting the very definition of padding? Wouldn’t restructuring it into a more linear Max Payne-like fashion more suitable to the experience, then?

Admittedly, this is something I could never wrap my head around regarding the series. I remember gawking at Mafia II‘s crouded streets and that first bar Vito enters after coming back from Sicily, only to be disappointed yet again with the eventual barrenness of it all. I feel like this franchise keep wasting its great potential by stubbornly anchoring itself as the extreme polar opposite of GTA.

Very few games offer sidequest I really care about, minus the witcher. Even red dead redemption 2, became tedious bc of random chance encounters. mass effect 2 was all about the sidequest/loyalty missions and completely forgot about a competent main storyline.

I was never into ME nor Witcher, but I did have a wonderful time with the more recent Kingdom Come: Deliverance. You’re on point regarding how most of them keep swerving of the main, supposedly urgent, plot thus diluting the experience. Maybe that’s why most WRPGs failed to grab my interest till their conclusion. It’s one of the reasons why I rank Anachronox higher than these–it was clearly inspired by JRPGS so no nth meaningless sidequests polluting its world.

Despite all this, the first Fallout will always be on top for me simply because it rocks Cool

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Maroko - 28 September 2020 06:50 PM

I hope we aren’t derailing the thread too much… Innocent

No I love it, I played the original back in what 03, and they really fleshed out the characters a lot in this remake. They had a story to tell they get in and get out no padding.

BUT PROFESSOR (blasts wide-eyed Luke), isn’t driving from point A to point B multiple times within a bare open-world setting the very definition of padding? Wouldn’t restructuring it into a more linear Max Payne-like fashion more suitable to the experience, then?

Admittedly, this is something I could never wrap my head around regarding the series. I remember gawking at Mafia II‘s crouded streets and that first bar Vito enters after coming back from Sicily, only to be disappointed yet again with the eventual barrenness of it all. I feel like this franchise keep wasting its great potential by stubbornly anchoring itself as the extreme polar opposite of GTA.

Very few games offer sidequest I really care about, minus the witcher. Even red dead redemption 2, became tedious bc of random chance encounters. mass effect 2 was all about the sidequest/loyalty missions and completely forgot about a competent main storyline.

I was never into ME nor Witcher, but I did have a wonderful time with the more recent Kingdom Come: Deliverance. You’re on point regarding how most of them keep swerving of the main, supposedly urgent, plot thus diluting the experience. Maybe that’s why most WRPGs failed to grab my interest till their conclusion. It’s one of the reasons why I rank Anachronox higher than these–it was clearly inspired by JRPGS so no nth meaningless sidequests polluting its world.

Despite all this, the first Fallout will always be on top for me simply because it rocks Cool

have you played the game, you can skip most driving parts with a press of the button, you will miss extra dialogue between characters, but it is there if you want it. But to answer your question still no. That is like complaining a character has to walk to get to the next conflict. padding to me is collection sidequest that add nothing to the story in any real way. At least tommy driving adds to the world building and depth of characters bc he is interacting with others usually. Plus I like the missions a lot more in mafia 1 than most grand theft auto games. For clarity the last gta game that I actually beat was vice city lol. I hated 3, loathed 4, and got quickly bored with gta 5, I hated all characters equally. I think I made it just past the first bank heist

As far as urgency goes with sidequest I agree, that is why I think witcher 2 sidequest are good also, bc there is urgency but not all at once.

Another game that ratchets up urgency well to me was tales of vesperia, The game does eventually go into the trope of save the world, but for the first 2 acts, what you are doing is rather mundane, all things considered, so doing sidequest makes more sense

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Persona 5 was also wonderful because it actually had some interesting puzzles as well as great combat. The Royal version just makes a great game better.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 September 2020 10:27 PM

have you played the game, you can skip most driving parts with a press of the button, you will miss extra dialogue between characters, but it is there if you want it. But to answer your question still no. That is like complaining a character has to walk to get to the next conflict. padding to me is collection sidequest that add nothing to the story in any real way. At least tommy driving adds to the world building and depth of characters bc he is interacting with others usually. Plus I like the missions a lot more in mafia 1 than most grand theft auto games. For clarity the last gta game that I actually beat was vice city lol. I hated 3, loathed 4, and got quickly bored with gta 5, I hated all characters equally. I think I made it just past the first bank heist

Hmm.. I get what you’re saying even though I don’t quite agree with your take on padding. I find that neither skipping it (thus sacrificing the mission-bridging and its main forte, the dialogue) nor tediously driving around do the experience any favors. And I’m not arguing for it to become another GTA, mind you, just that it could learn a few lessons from it regarding actual world-building instead of maintaining a superficial backdrop.

But I’m glad you’re enjoying it as much as you are! As for the GTAs, man is San Andreas the most overrated thing out there or what.

Another game that ratchets up urgency well to me was tales of vesperia, The game does eventually go into the trope of save the world, but for the first 2 acts, what you are doing is rather mundane, all things considered, so doing sidequest makes more sense

I’ve never played a Tales game besides the good ol’ Phantasia one. The aesthetics are appealing enough and the action looks fun, but it all seems to be wrapped around the most clichéd package imaginable. Still, I’m willing to give another shot—would Vesperia be the best reintroduction to the series, you’d say?

And getting back to the OP, have you tried the Kurosawa mode? If so, does it add to the experience or is it a just a throwaway gimmicky filter?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 28 September 2020 10:48 PM

Persona 5 was also wonderful because it actually had some interesting puzzles as well as great combat. The Royal version just makes a great game better.

im sure it does but I dont have the time to invest 150 hrs into a game for a 2nd time. It is just too long for me. Like I said I love persona 5, but it is just too long

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Maroko - 29 September 2020 09:18 AM

Hmm.. I get what you’re saying even though I don’t quite agree with your take on padding. I find that neither skipping it (thus sacrificing the mission-bridging and its main forte, the dialogue) nor tediously driving around do the experience any favors. And I’m not arguing for it to become another GTA, mind you, just that it could learn a few lessons from it regarding actual world-building instead of maintaining a superficial backdrop.

But I’m glad you’re enjoying it as much as you are! As for the GTAs, man is San Andreas the most overrated thing out there or what.

I’ve never played a Tales game besides the good ol’ Phantasia one. The aesthetics are appealing enough and the action looks fun, but it all seems to be wrapped around the most clichéd package imaginable. Still, I’m willing to give another shot—would Vesperia be the best reintroduction to the series, you’d say?

And getting back to the OP, have you tried the Kurosawa mode? If so, does it add to the experience or is it a just a throwaway gimmicky filter?

I really enjoyed tales of vesperia, story is clichéd no doubt by the end, but I love the characters. Yuri the main character is voiced by troy baker and he does an excellent job. Although in the remaster they added some scenes and were too cheap to re hire him so they use another guy to try and sound like him, you can tell the difference but its not a lot. Also the combat is fun to me, it is easy to learn but hard to master.

As far as mafia 1, I also love anything mob related, I have watched 100 of documentaries, wife and I just got back from vegas for our honeymoon and I went to the mob musuem there. Also I just really like that time period and so few games are set in the 30s and even less open world games. PS Gta 3 was very overrated and 4 was just not fun to me.

I have not tried Kurosawa mode, but it was a great nod from the devs to a great director. To be honest, I havent played the game in a month. Like I said I got burnt out and was planning a wedding.

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 September 2020 09:28 AM

As far as mafia 1, I also love anything mob related, I have watched 100 of documentaries, wife and I just got back from vegas for our honeymoon and I went to the mob musuem there.

Oh, CONGRATS to both of yous!! GrinGrin I hope you have the happiest of marriages and don’t forget to make a ton of babies or at least have fun with the practicing! Crazy

Also I just really like that time period and so few games are set in the 30s and even less open world games. PS Gta 3 was very overrated and 4 was just not fun to me.

Seeing as you’ve been busy/away, I don’t know if you’re aware but George Romero, of all people, is doing a tactical-SIM set in 1920’s Chicago called Empire of Sin and it’s looking mighty tasty!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Maroko - 29 September 2020 09:55 AM

As far as mafia 1, I also love anything mob related, I have watched 100 of documentaries, wife and I just got back from vegas for our honeymoon and I went to the mob musuem there.

Oh, CONGRATS to both of yous!! GrinGrin I hope you have the happiest of marriages and don’t forget to make a ton of babies or at least have fun with the practicing! Crazy

Also I just really like that time period and so few games are set in the 30s and even less open world games. PS Gta 3 was very overrated and 4 was just not fun to me.

Seeing as you’ve been busy/away, I don’t know if you’re aware but George Romero, of all people, is doing a tactical-SIM set in 1920’s Chicago called Empire of Sin and it’s looking mighty tasty!

I will def look into empire of sin, thank you. we have 2 teenagers already, we did things backwards I guess lol. she is 40 im 35, we started early lol. here is a pic of us, our kids, and parents at the wedding

my-fav-pic

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 September 2020 01:42 PM

we have 2 teenagers already, we did things backwards I guess lol. she is 40 im 35, we started early lol. here is a pic of us, our kids, and parents at the wedding

What a beautiful family and stunning dress, thanks for showing me this wonderful photo! Now go for broke you two and start making the número trés! Wink

And here’s my wedding gift to y’all, I hope I’m not getting you into trouble by giving her a huge rock Grin
(Sorry ‘bout the low-quality img; the attachments’ restrictions here are crazy! I’m PMing this too)

EDIT: He saw it; he loved it; his wife probably teared up with happiness. The drawing did its job and bows out.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

lol thank you very much. Im out of the baby business until grandkids

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top