• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What happened to comedy adventure games?

Total Posts: 110

Joined 2019-01-17

PM

I tried to make The Secrets of Jesus funny. I dont know if I did it Smile

But I would say, humor is a matter of taste, not everyone likes the humor in some adventure games, so, some developers avoid that or they dont dare.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2019-12-02

PM

I’m developing a sci-fi comedy adventure right now.. go check us out on facebook. Its really early on but its gearing up to be really funny. follow our progress, we are posting concept art, screenschots etc..
https://www.facebook.com/Sauced-in-Space-121235569278534

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

So I just started playing Feria D’Arles and it’s a really well written comedy adventure. It comes across as effortlessly funny in a way that’s genuinely similar to the writing in classic LucasArts adventures. It’s also gorgeous and well animated. It’s a short game (3 to 4 hours from the impressions I’ve seen) but it’s under 4 dollars on steam so the value is still great.

Kinda surprised because this game wasn’t really on my radar but It’s one of the better comedy adventures I’ve played in a while & one of the best games I’ve played this year (so far).

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Comedy writers don’t get enough credit. Comedy is incredibly difficult to pull off, I gather. I can empathise with the trepidation of going full comedy.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2008-04-21

PM

I think part of the problem these days is that a lot of humor have become lazy pop culture references. Another issue is that most comedic adventure games are now made in Spain and Germany, countries who aren’t exactly famous for their humour. But the few comedic games that does come out of US and England aren’t exactly hilarious either sadly.

Book of unwritten tales 1 and 2 and Nelly Cootalot 1-2 are pretty good games though if you don’t expect more than a light chuckle.

Hollywood monsters though, oh my God the writing was so bad. Everyone kept saying Ayo and Aya till you went crazy. But yeah anyways there’s some good games, just don’t expect to laugh.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jon_wachter - 02 January 2020 05:51 AM

I think part of the problem these days is that a lot of humor have become lazy pop culture references.

It hasn’t really become that, it has always been like that.
Take almost any old Sierra game, and they are loaded with references like that, which in many cases are unfortunately not tied to timeless pop culture, but that of their own time. And that makes it very difficult for younger or less experienced players to relate to. Do adventure noobies or younger players find “Latex Babes of Estros” at all entertaining or funny, if they ever happen to play Space Quest?

Another issue is that most comedic adventure games are now made in Spain and Germany, countries who aren’t exactly famous for their humour.

It’s an acquired taste. For instance, Runaway is a very funny and engaging adventure game, although some people don’t like it.
And Verschollen auf Lost Island has one of the funniest puzzle solutions ever, even if the game otherwise isn’t exactly a classic.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 07:48 AM

Another issue is that most comedic adventure games are now made in Spain and Germany, countries who aren’t exactly famous for their humour.

It’s an acquired taste. For instance, Runaway is a very funny and engaging adventure game, although some people don’t like it.
And Verschollen auf Lost Island has one of the funniest puzzle solutions ever, even if the game otherwise isn’t exactly a classic.

Verschollen auf Lost Island is not a German game.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 02 January 2020 08:02 AM

Hhhmmm… according to Wikipedia it isn’t, according to Mobygames, it is.
Which is correct?

Joined 2008-04-21

PM

Runaway is a great game series because it doesn’t try to be funny, it’s not going for laugh out loud laughs there’s very little actual jokes. Sort of like Broken Sword. It’s like a drama comedy.

The problem is when games try to be funny and they’re not, like German Leisure suit larry or German Simon the sorcerer, Deponia or Hollywood monsters or Darkestville castle. I think a lot of humor gets lost in translation though to be fair.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 09:05 AM
Karlok - 02 January 2020 08:02 AM

Hhhmmm… according to Wikipedia it isn’t, according to Mobygames, it is.
Which is correct?

Mobygames says the same thing as Wikipedia: not German.  Tongue

PS: I played the game many years ago and I wonder what that puzzle is you mentioned?

Joined 2008-04-21

PM

It’s Czech and Slovakian.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 02 January 2020 10:18 AM

PS: I played the game many years ago and I wonder what that puzzle is you mentioned?

Yep, if the description says “Lost Island is a German 3rd POV point-and-click adventure game with English dialogues and subtitles.”, then it must be not German, because the text says it’s German! Thumbs Up  Tongue

But OK, let’s assume that Mobygames is wrong and it is from somewhere else.

The puzzle that I found absolutely hilarious when I played the game was:
The protagonist needs to cut down a tree, but doesn’t have proper tools.
Solution: catch a beaver, get an engine, attach engine to the beaver and use it as a chainsaw.

Laughing

Joined 2008-04-21

PM

GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 01:46 PM
Karlok - 02 January 2020 10:18 AM

Yep, if the description says “Lost Island is a German 3rd POV point-and-click adventure game with English dialogues and subtitles.”, then it must be not German, because the text says it’s German! Thumbs Up  Tongue

Yes they must be wrong cause it clearly says it’s a Czech and Slovakian game.“Missing on Lost Island (aka Ztracený ostrov (Czech), Verschollen Auf Lost Island (German)) is a 2000 Czech/Slovakian adventure game developed by Mayhem Studios and Riki Computer Games, and published by Bohemia Interactive.”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 01:46 PM

The developers were not German, that’s the whole point.*

The puzzle that I found absolutely hilarious when I played the game was:
The protagonist needs to cut down a tree, but doesn’t have proper tools.
Solution: catch a beaver, get an engine, attach engine to the beaver and use it as a chainsaw.

Laughing

I don’t remember that puzzle. Frown Too long ago, I guess. Didn’t care much for the game.

EDIT: *Oops! Somebody else already posted that.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Take almost any old Sierra game, and they are loaded with references like that, which in many cases are unfortunately not tied to timeless pop culture, but that of their own time. And that makes it very difficult for younger or less experienced players to relate to.

Not only does humor often fail to accurately pass between people of different age groups, it also between people of different nationalities. Regardless of the quality of a translation, “it” whether it be a joke or a situation, may not “translate” well if the game player doesn’t have the cultural reference to understand it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top