• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blacksad: Under The Skin - Story Trailer & Release Date - 

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I just beat the game and I enjoyed it. It’s a really solid murder mystery story with a lot of interesting characters and well rendered gray morality. The main puzzle mechanic is the deductions and they’re satisfying to work through. It’s a similar vibe to the notebook mechanic from Blackwell Legacy. They’re not too difficult, although towards the end you’ll have to combine 3 or 4 clues to make a deduction so they do ramp up a bit.

Under The Skin isn’t without it’s issues. I ran into a number of glitches: a scene skipped halfway through, 1 or 2 cases of dropped dialogue, the game locked up once. Also the VA is hit or miss and so is the animation, particularly in regards to lip-sync.

Nevertheless, I did get sucked into the narrative. I plan on doing another playthrough and getting a few more of the 6 different endings after the game has been cleaned up a bit by the coming patches.

Right now I’d give the game a strong 7 with the potential to be an 8 or higher if they fix it up some more, post-release.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The two comments surprise me. I would have thought a game from Microids would not have these production problems. Plus, I don’t have the option to switch to a console. So if the keyboard/mouse game-play mechanics present a serious distraction, maybe this is not the game for me. I’m also surprise that the game has so few puzzles. But maybe I;m confusing the Sokal/Microids with a Sokal-less/Microids.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2019 06:25 PM

The two comments surprise me. I would have thought a game from Microids would not have these production problems. Plus, I don’t have the option to switch to a console. So if the keyboard/mouse game-play mechanics present a serious distraction, maybe this is not the game for me. I’m also surprise that the game has so few puzzles. But maybe I;m confusing the Sokal/Microids with a Sokal-less/Microids.

Well, if Syberia 3 is anything to go by then bugs and general lack of polish shouldn’t be a surprise from Microids.

Still, Blacksad isn’t directly comparable to a Microids developed game since they’re only the publisher for it. It was developed by Pendulo (The Runaway & Yesterday ppl).

Which would actually make the state Blacksad even more surprising since Pendulo’s games are typically good performance wise. I think the move to full 3D must have mixed with deadline realities in a bad way.

Could have been worse, though. I genuinely think the game is like two or three patches away from being good to go. They’ve already improved it an insane amount from the version that leaked onto the PS Store a week ago.

(pls patch in a run/walk faster button, Pendulo)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Syberia 3 aside, I was referring to Sokal games being puzzle-oriented.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Veovis - 15 November 2019 04:53 PM

I’m a couple of hours into the game. Feels a bit unpolished and the interface/controls/camera is pretty bad. Switched to a controller after failing to even understand how to work the menu/options via the keyboard/mouse. Just terrible.

Although developed by Pendulo,sounds like typical microids game,they couldn’t findout how camera must follow a character in full 3d yet or just experimenting it every erratic way.

But biggest joke is system reqs, that asks at same level as AAA openworld games,shows
how badly optimised game is.Still if you’re fan of Guarnido&Canales;‘s art it can serve well as new episode of Blacksad.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished the game and really enjoyed it. The similarities with Syberia 3 end with a feeling they have used a similar engine (Microids?) with a very restricted camera and less than perfect controls (never tried keyboard/mouse ingame). Especially noticeable in indoor environments. And there are some things that need polish.

But overall it’s a great game. Good story and writing, great voice acting and characters. An interesting and generally well implemented deduction system. Quick time events that are actually fun for the most part and timed elements that are there for the right reasons and that are generally well balanced.

Hope this will reach a large audience so there might be more games in the same universe. Like PlanetX I will revisit the game when some of the rough edges have been fixed. There are a few things that I would have done differently in retrospect.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I’ll keep lurking this thread for a while. If what PlanetX says is valid, ie two-three patches away from a really good game. Then the prudent thing is to monitor things to see if those patches actually appear.

One other thing I noticed is that everyone who played the game satisfactorily has played it using a controller. That’s not an option I have. Well, it is an option, but I like buying guitars more than investing in controllers.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

will we be getting a review from Adventure Gamers?

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Microids’ website for Blacksad patch notes & upcoming patches.

You can keep track of all the improvements they’re trying to make on that page.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I have had some doubts but I`ll give it a try on Christmas holiday season

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 06 December 2019 01:46 AM

For me that doesn’t mean much. Despite what I said earlier. What I probably should have said that I will monitor this thread and see if current/future patches fix problems reported by those who own and are actually playing the game. If the patches are measurably improving the quality of play, then it’s likely to go on my to-buy list.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I got a reply to my post that was apparently deleted. Don’t know why. Unless it was posted by Advie. But still, there should have said something offering me the opportunity to override the ignore if that was the case. Whoever deleted the message took the option to read it out of my hands. And I don’t appreciate that.

To whomever posted a reply, my choice of guitar strings is D’Addario NYXL. About $15US a set. So we’re probably in the same ballpark re: cost of game v cost of a set of strings.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2019 08:30 PM

I got a reply to my post that was apparently deleted. Don’t know why. Unless it was posted by Advie. But still, there should have said something offering me the opportunity to override the ignore if that was the case. Whoever deleted the message took the option to read it out of my hands. And I don’t appreciate that.

To whomever posted a reply, my choice of guitar strings is D’Addario NYXL. About $15US a set. So we’re probably in the same ballpark re: cost of game v cost of a set of strings.

Hey,that was me and I don’t know what happened. I posted the response but never even saw it show up. I wrote that I think Blacksad even without updates is worth playing. The strings thing was a (bad) attempt at a joke in response to you rather buying a guitar than a controller. I may have written something mean about Syberia 3 too but I’ve done that before without the message disappearing.Smile

Anyway, no bad intent. I figured something had gone wrong in cyberspace.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2019 06:46 PM
PlanetX - 06 December 2019 01:46 AM

For me that doesn’t mean much. Despite what I said earlier. What I probably should have said that I will monitor this thread and see if current/future patches fix problems reported by those who own and are actually playing the game. If the patches are measurably improving the quality of play, then it’s likely to go on my to-buy list.

Just thought I’d drop in this thread and mention that I’ve been watching Mostly Walking’s LP of Blacksad and the current build of the game is much more stable. The worst bug they’ve run into so far is a mild animation glitch with Blacksad’s head. None of the really bad problems I encountered have happened in their run, so far.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top