• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unable to change my avatar

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Is it still the old one? Or the new one now?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s still the old one, a bit distorted.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m seeing the new one (Princess Whatsherface from ZGI). Yesterday, it was still Tatiana with the wrong aspect ratio, but now it’s the new one. Do another force-refresh?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Like K I’m now seeing your new avatar Karlok but I also had to clear my cache to do so. I suggest you try one of two things.

Firstly use Ctrl + F5 (not Shift + F5) and see what happens.

Or you can use Ctrl +Shift +Del which brings up the settings “Delete Browsing History” which may show you that you’re net setup correctly. Ctrl +Shift +Del works with most browsers but, oddly, doesn’t for the browser that I use (FlashPeak’s SlimBrowser) and I had to open up IE to make sure that that was the correct method of opening it
Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks guys, but no dice. I know how to delete my browser history, have done it about a dozen times since I changed my avatar to Lucy Flathead. (Just cached pics, not the rest.) Tried it on my win 10 computer, my win 7 computer and my iPhone. Every single time I see Tatiana’s distorted face.

Jabod, what do you mean “may show you that you’re net setup correctly”? How should it be set up?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Karlok - 13 May 2017 08:16 AM

Thanks guys, but no dice. I know how to delete my browser history, have done it about a dozen times since I changed my avatar to Lucy Flathead. (Just cached pics, not the rest.) Tried it on my win 10 computer, my win 7 computer and my iPhone. Every single time I see Tatiana’s distorted face.

Jabod, what do you mean “may show you that you’re net setup correctly”? How should it be set up?

We try and cache images for a long period of time (this generally is a good thing), because avatars are always the same URL however that’s not per se a good thing as it will stick in your cache for quite a while. Let me figure out how to best resolve this one.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

These are the default settings for IE Karlok. I imagine that’s how yours are set. Straightforward to amend.

If you’re still using Shift + F5 to clear cache then change to Ctrl + F5. From memory, and it’s a log time since I played around with stuff like this so I could be remembering incorrectly, Shift + F5 will clear your local cache but will only go downstream to the nearest server that carries that web address. Ctrl + F5 clears local cache but then goes to the originating server (i.e. Adventure Gamers home site) and collects the page from there.

Should anyone reading this recognise that I’ve got this wrong then please correct me
Thumbs Up

Edited to add:

Actually I think Ctrl + Shift + Del gives you the ability to delete directly and isn’t the settings. Just choose the sections that you require deleting and click on delete.

I think I might have to go back to school on this stuff. Old age appears to be creeping up on me   Sarcastic

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

What works best generally is just opening the direct URL of your avatar and doing a hard-refresh there (CTRL+F5). No need to delete all your cookies and everything.

In your case that’s
https://www.adventuregamers.com/images/avatars/uploads/avatar_19807.png

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

AHA! That did it. Smile Thanks, CaliMonk.

PS: I just deleted my cached pics, not all my cookies etcetera, that would be much more annoying than being stuck with a distorted old avatar.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m no longer able to upload a new avatar from my iMac.  I’ve cleared my cache and cookies, but nothing works.  I get the message that my avatar has been changed, but it hasn’t.  Do you have any suggestions for me?

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 July 2017 01:45 AM

I’m no longer able to upload a new avatar from my iMac.  I’ve cleared my cache and cookies, but nothing works.  I get the message that my avatar has been changed, but it hasn’t.  Do you have any suggestions for me?

I had the same problem about a month back.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9246/#134840

For me, it worked after trying it a few days later. But there does seem to be a bug with avatars.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i made the change from the site back door (INSPECT), and added my wanted new avatar to the default avatar folder, and from there i assigned IT.
its a big hassle do not recommend anyone getting INTO IT.‘but seriously there must be a traditional way of changing avatars once and for all as this have been an issue for a looong while now’

all i can say from my experince; the memory heap images does not remove the old avatar (the one wanted to be changed) whatever you do!!
and the only way to change your avatar or the only way common that it would accept a a change/new avatar is by choosing from the default avatars already apparent by the site, so as i say from there i made my move and i had to internally (from the back door) by right clicking and choosing inspect to add my new avatar or precisely load it the heap of given avatars and assign from there.

and luckily it is an internal thing after all as my new avatar does not show at the default avatars section afterward,  it’s only happening at the back door and then viola!!...

i hope that can help you CaliMonk at your task for assigning as the proper way for the users to be able to change their avatars easily with the hassle i ‘ve been thru.
cheers

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This is still a problem. No one interested in fixing it?

Edit: Seems a problem with pngs. Jpegs seemed to work.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it seems no one cares about this problem anymore, it has becime more like a deserted forum or at least this thread, specially.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve been watching and trying things, however, been not having much luck finding the final issue. PNG is a good new hint to focus on however. In the end the step we’ll make is to switch to different forum software, that’s still on the list. The first step I wanted to complete before that is to migrate the old archive forum, which I’ve now done (to a different domain and with a slightly updated version).

Either way, TL;DR yes I haven’t forgotten, if it would have been an easy fix, it would have been fixed by now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top