• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Roland Mt-32 Question

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2015-10-23

PM

Hello can anyone help. I have just purchased a Roland Mt-32 sound module from Ebay. I have the device itself and the power cable, but I don’t have the cable to connect it to my computer. I have looked through Amazon and Ebay for one and could not find one. Does any one know where I can get a cable?
Thank you.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Assuming you’re trying to connect to a modern PC, you’ll need a MIDI-to-USB cable like this.

You’ll also need to connect two 1/4” mono plugs on one end to one 1/8” stereo plug (or whatever your soundcard receives) on the other end. You could do this with a single cable like this, or with some combination of a cable and converter(s).

Here’s a video tutorial for setting up the MT-32 on a modern PC.

Note that I don’t have personal experience with the specific cable brands that I linked above. (My own MT-32 is hooked up to an older computer with a MIDI-to-joystick-port cable, so I’m not in a position to recommend a MIDI-to-USB cable to you. The one I linked is the one used in the video.)

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2015-10-23

PM

Thank you very much for your response to my inquiry. I have purchased both cables and the video clip will also be helpful as no manual came with it.
Once again thank you.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I tried to do the same, hook up my old MT-32 to my recent laptop. I got it to work pretty well using exactly the cables described by Caliburn.

But overall I found it rather cumbersome…there is some tweaking around with midi settings in order to get it to work, I used some kind of midi mapper that worked rather well, but fairly often the settings need to be set and/or cancelled aswel.

Then there is the odd thing to have a laptop, which is a rather mobile device, but hook it up to cables and sound devices, turning it effectively into a desktop ;-)

In the end I much preferred the MT-32 emulator which is embedded into ScummVM, which supports almost any MT-32 era game anyway and it does so rather well.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top