• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady K - You have to remember that there are two Tims here. I started to reply before realizing I didn’t have any ballast problem in the sub or mini-sub. Thus realizing you were responding to my alter-ego, aka the other Tim.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s why I usually use your initials, RT. Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 20 October 2020 09:00 PM

Tim,
There were two thin vertical switches at the front of the sub on the right hand side.  If you made them horizontal, the doors would lock, which could have been your problem there.

Sounds plausible.
Early on, I had only noticed one of those, and since I’m usually in “click everywhere” mode, this is probably what happened. Twice. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Hallelujah!  I finished the game with the good ending, but it took me close to 3 hours to do it.  It was funny and frustrating that because I had played the game before, I remembered most of what I had to do but not how to get there to do it.  Having a printed copy of the map helped quite a bit.  However, I probably turned the train at the turntable intersection many more times than I needed to until I had a rush of brains and remembered where to use the track switcher while going backwards

Using the winch was easy, and I remembered enough to stop in time to avoid the deadly accident.  Putting the cannon together was fussier than I remembered, especially since I forgot to open one of the pieces first.

It took me two tries to get the best ending.  Because I fiddled too long with the trunk and the machine to wake up Krick, I blew us all up the first time.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 October 2020 12:06 PM

However, I probably turned the train at the turntable intersection many more times than I needed to until I had a rush of brains and remembered where to use the track switcher while going backwards.

Back when we (in the US) had our latest gas price spike, both FedEx and UPS programmed their driver’s routes so that the majority of their routes were mapped for right-hand turns. It cut down on the amount of idling waiting for a left turn signal, etc. It worked. The reason I mentioned this is that when we were writing/editing the WT we realized that many operations could be done in fewer moves if the train was driven in reverse. But Olga, justifiably, said that people are more comfortable driving looking through their windshield than looking through their rearview mirror. So, you are probably right that you rotated the turntable more than you had to, just so you could keep the train moving in a forward direction.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will continue playing tonight. Wish me luck (and patience…)

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You can do it, Walas! Thumbs Up

There is a place where you have to back up, but I do agree that I preferred going forward.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finally finished the game. Overall I think I found it enjoyable though some of the puzzle design I felt was frustrating and weak. For instance, I spent an hour trying to wake up the doctor before I figured it out randomly by random frustrated clicking. Like what kind of logic is this? Apply the low level zap 3 times. I mean why not 4 or 5, or 2 for that matter? How are we supposed to know that, when the game never tells you anything?Pan  I even went to other islands thinking I might have missed something. That’s another thing. It’s cool to navigate the first time you are heading somewhere. But the fact that the game is open ended, if you want to move a lot between islands, there is tons of backtracking and it gets time consuming. I can imagine if we played the game without any guidance where to go next, it would have been super cumbersome. I guess the game for the most part did a good job of limiting the items you find in a place to that place, but you can’t be certain about that.

I also find the slideshow type of navigation frustrating for the main purpose that you are bound to miss hot spots. This is especially true when you don’t realize there is an arrow to go left or right or up, because it is not consistent between scenes. For example, I missed the arrow to look left in the broken track scene, so I was also stuck looking for a piece of metal to replace the one we pulled out from the broken track.

Storywise, I agree with rtooney and chrissie that it is really silly to just throw the bottle in the ocean. I mean not only are you risking the creature to escape again, but you are also risking unleashing him in our own world, which is far more worse for us.

I found the animation and art pretty good for a game released back in 1995.

As for the design, the fact you can visit the places in any order gives the game an open ended feel to it, though it can get overwhelming and challenging with the amount of places to visit at the same time. The game would have benefited a lot from a fast travel option to visit places you have been to before, without the need to navigate there.

Overall, it was a pretty fun playthrough, and I would like to give a special thanks to Lady K for stepping up to lead this game. I can imagine this wasn’t an easy game to lead due to the openendidness of it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 October 2020 07:31 PM

There is a place where you have to back up, but I do agree that I preferred going forward.

Of course. When you had to rebuild the bridge. But I think that was the only sequence where reverse was mandatory. There were more instances where reverse could get you where you wanted to go with fewer moves, but forward felt more comfortable.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 21 October 2020 08:34 PM
Lady Kestrel - 21 October 2020 07:31 PM

Of course. When you had to rebuild the bridge. But I think that was the only sequence where reverse was mandatory. There were more instances where reverse could get you where you wanted to go with fewer moves, but forward felt more comfortable.

Once I memorized the track in my brain, sometimes I ended up going backwards because it was much faster to get there than going forward. Since the train section is animated and not aslideshow, you can’t whizz through it like you can do with on foot navigation.

Interestingly, I noticed in the credits that the whole train section animation part was outsourced to some other company.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I got lost in the train section, but with a little help from Youtube I manage to get a place with some sphere.

I think I will finish the game tonight.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

SoccerDude,
I don’t usually mind slideshow navigation in games, but I agree that there were several spots where it was easy to miss an arrow.  The room with the portal machine in the temple was especially fussy as to where you should stand to get the arrow you needed.  It was easy to miss plugging in those power units on the left of the room.  I also had trouble finding the left arrow to pick up the track piece.

I really liked riding the train, but then I’ve always had a soft spot for them.  I also thought it was fun to dig a big hole in the wall.

Lighthouse has been called a Myst clone, but one thing about Myst is that there were always clues to help the player solve the puzzles.  They may not have been in the immediate area and did require attention, but they were there.  Lighthouse had many puzzles along the way that were trial and error, which could lead to frustration and giving up for some.  I don’t mind fiddling with things to get them to work, but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.  I’m just happy that so many people decided to give it a try and stick it out until the end. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 October 2020 04:12 PM

I’m just happy that so many people decided to give it a try and stick it out until the end. Thumbs Up

Not there yet, but I just finished the fortress section (and even flew to the temple and back again).

I don’t feel like going over all the submarine controls again, so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow or the weekend.

I quite liked the fortress section. It felt more “traditional” adventure-y. Plus, I just love shooting things with cannons. Tongue
Especially if those things gave me not one but TWO jump-scares earlier... Tongue

The part where I was stuck the longest was in the room with the statue. It took me a LONG time before I figured out that the door with the monster was NOT the same door we just used to come in. I actually thought we were trapped and kept trying to do more with the fish. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2020 06:01 PM

The part where I was stuck the longest was in the room with the statue. It took me a LONG time before I figured out that the door with the monster was NOT the same door we just used to come in. I actually thought we were trapped and kept trying to do more with the fish. Grin

That room was tricky to navigate.  The left arrow wasn’t obvious.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Help!

I am at the door of dark being’s lab and I can’t open it. I have the weapon, I have the bomb, but when I click on the door, makes the metalic sound and it won’t open.

What did I miss?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top