• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I’m a huge Indy fan in general and of Fate of Atlantis in particular.  It’s one of my go to adventure games because of the path system.  Looking forward to this playthrough.

I would recommend when people get to Atlantis on the Team or Fists path to save a game there for the final run through the Atlantis section rather than playing on from the Wits path.  You can certainly play from the wits path but there is one bit that’s a little more cumbersome.  For those in the know: the orichalcum detector that you have to recharge by using the scarf on the comb every time you want to detect.

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 05 December 2018 04:19 PM

I probably won’t be joining the playthrough, because I’ve played this game far too many times already, but I worked out the full points list some years ago, and I thought I’d post it here in case someone wants to go for the full 1000-point run.

(Major spoilers, obviously.)

Have fun, people.

Thanks for that!

Now I know why I never managed to get more than 984.
16 points lost because I was bad at the fighting. Tongue

I do appreciate the game generally giving more points for the puzzle alternative to the fights.

The one exception, the one measily “extra” point for actually beating Arnold is pure evil, though.
Although I’ve seen a YouTube vid of someone who actually did it, so it’s not impossible. Tongue

Sir Beardalot - 05 December 2018 11:21 PM

Enabling the graphic filters:

Thanks for the info. I still think the original pixelated look is best, though. The less pixelated filters just make it blurry, imo. Tongue

Here is the info for improved MIDI audio:

This is great, thanks! Thumbs Up

PPS. TimovieMan, I failed to mention this earlier, wonderful job on the introduction!  Thumbs Up

Thank you!!! Cool

Lady Kestrel - 05 December 2018 07:07 PM

I have the original Macintosh CD which I bought on eBay many years ago but never played.

chrissie - 05 December 2018 07:13 PM

I’ve never played the game before so thought I would try & join in with this playthrough.
Smile

More newcomers to the game than I figured there would be.

To be honest, I really thought that everyone here had played this game by now.
Despite me being the guy that still hasn’t played GK2. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I almost missed the playthrough once again. Somehow I keep missing them when the topic is not highlighted and there are no announcements in the main CPT discussion. I will install the game right away.

As for Indi, I can’t say I’m a fan of the series, although I do enjoy Raiders of the Lost Ark a lot, one of the best “pure” adventure movies in my book. The sequels don’t work for me that well, but both graphic adventure games have a special place in my heart.

To be honest, I enjoyed The Last Crusade more than Fate of Atlantis, probably because I played it long before it, and even before watching the actual movie. I invested a lot of time into searching for alternative solutions and scoring points - Last Crusade was the first to introduce all those features, including fighting which you could often avoid if you had enough patience to try various dialogue options (that’s where the “I’m selling these fine leather jackets” catchfrase originated btw).

But back to Fate of Atlantis: this was my last LucasArts adventure along with Day of the Tentacle. In fact I had no idea it existed until I stumbled across a FoA demo which came along with a gaming magazine that did a retrospective. And I thought “OMG It looks like a missing Monkey Island 3!!!”, because it had a very similar look and vibe. Then I bought a LucasArts collection of games (LucasArts Archives), played it and got blown away. Then I took a different path and got less blown away as it turned out that the final chapter was always the same, so I felt cheated and ignored the third path.

But I still have sweet memories of FoA. LucasArts’ Indi was a fun character reminiscent of Guybrush, and I wish they continued the adventure series instead of producing those clunky Tomb Raider clones.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 07 December 2018 04:14 PM

To be honest, I enjoyed The Last Crusade more than Fate of Atlantis, probably because I played it long before it, and even before watching the actual movie. I invested a lot of time into searching for alternative solutions and scoring points - Last Crusade was the first to introduce all those features, including fighting which you could often avoid if you had enough patience to try various dialogue options (that’s where the “I’m selling these fine leather jackets” catchfrase originated btw).

to be honest, me too, the way they had originated all game’s puzzle from the movie/Last Crusade itself while being of their own sense of puzzling, was just awesome, considering the movie was still echoing.

tho the fighting (boxing) sequences were more of breath exhausting than difficult (especially the castle part) they had affected or reduced the game’s replaying quality much.
.. still the there are more pros than cons when it comes to the Last Crusade, especially its narrative.

FoA, i never had any idea of the game’s different paths until much later on, but i still remember the ending puzzle which had me thinking how nicely they nailed a Riven like puzzle at this traditional (3rd person) fun adventure.

looking forward to starting this playthrough, but Tim, why did you chose the ‘Fist’ part for the start of the playthrough? Embarassed

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 07 December 2018 05:04 PM

looking forward to starting this playthrough, but Tim, why did you chose the ‘Fist’ part for the start of the playthrough? Embarassed

Increasing difficulty.

Easiest first (just use the sucker-punch in fights), harder next, hardest last.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ah, mist this thread entirely. Fate of Atlantis is my favorite LucasArts game.
I’ve replayed this recently, so I won’t join, but will regularly check-in to see what’s going on.

The FISTS path may be the easiest, depending on how much fighting you are going to do.
It has also become my favorite path and represents in the best way the spirit of the movies. You get to use the whip most often in this path if memory serves and there are some genuine fun moments with all the Nazi’s you encounter. I really like it that there at least alternative ways to beat the stronger ones…..some of which are fairly ‘creative’ and fit the movie’s atmosphere perfectly.

Then a small point on the audio and music. I was a bit surprised that it was suggested to use an alternative midi device and soundfont. ScummVM comes with a built-in MT-32 emulator (MUNT) which isn’t perfect, but it comes pretty damn close to the real thing. More importantly, if you use this option you’ll hear Fate of Atlantis as close as possible as it was intended by its composers.
So I suggest to try it out. You only need the original MT-32 ROM files, but they can be found easily on the net somewhere.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 07 December 2018 05:04 PM

to be honest, me too, the way they had originated all game’s puzzle from the movie/Last Crusade itself while being of their own sense of puzzling, was just awesome, considering the movie was still echoing.

tho the fighting (boxing) sequences were more of breath exhausting than difficult (especially the castle part) they had affected or reduced the game’s replaying quality much.
.. still the there are more pros than cons when it comes to the Last Crusade, especially its narrative.

I think I actually managed to finish the game without getting into any fights. Or maybe not, but it was still fun figuring out the workarounds and finding Achilles’ heels of those Nazi soldiers. And I really enjoyed the lighthearted nature of the game, it is full of humour of (almost) Monkey Island quality, being designed by Ron Gilbert and all.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Doom - 07 December 2018 04:14 PM

The dead ends were brutal in that game though. Did you ever manage to start the airplane in time?  Crazy

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Henke - 07 December 2018 08:31 PM

The dead ends were brutal in that game though. Did you ever manage to start the airplane in time?  Crazy

I did! I even managed to navigate it till the end… once… after many, many failed attempts… Yes, that wasn’t my favourite part Frown

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I’m a big Indy fan too! I have seen the movies many times and played almost all the games and FoA is definitely my favorite. I still think is the one that captures the Indy spirit the best (although I have a soft spot for the Infernal Machine) and definitely the one with the best story, which I wished they have made into a movie.

FoA was actually the first adventure game I played, along with The Last Crusade, maybe around 1993 at a cousin’s house but because I was too little and the version he had was in English (which I didn’t speak at the time), I had no idea what was going on and of course we never finished them. But the graphics and gameplay blew me away and I fell in love with adventure games.

I revisited again later when I had my own PC and got the Spanish version, and this time I was able to finish it and of course, loved it to pieces and became one of my favorite games. I played it a couple of more times after, trying the other paths but but it’s been ages since I last played it so I’m really excited to dive back in.

With that said I installed it, played the Intro and ready to go Smile

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Mind if I join in? Smile

Never done a community playthrough and I’ve never played Fate of Atlantis. Thought this is the perfect time to give it a go. Downloaded and about to start.

Huge fan of the movies and the only games I’ve ever played were Infernal Machine and Emperor’s Tomb.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Ok that was quick lol. Done with the prologue and arrived in NY.

Prologue was brilliant and pretty hilarious though. Looking forward to rest of the game Smile Don’t know why I’ve never played this

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

subbi - 07 December 2018 06:28 PM

Then a small point on the audio and music. I was a bit surprised that it was suggested to use an alternative midi device and soundfont. ScummVM comes with a built-in MT-32 emulator (MUNT) which isn’t perfect, but it comes pretty damn close to the real thing. More importantly, if you use this option you’ll hear Fate of Atlantis as close as possible as it was intended by its composers.
So I suggest to try it out. You only need the original MT-32 ROM files, but they can be found easily on the net somewhere.

I very much second this.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 December 2018 07:03 AM
subbi - 07 December 2018 06:28 PM

I very much second this.

subbi, thanks for this bit of info. I am unfamiliar with MT-32 and thought that hardware was needed, didn’t realize that ScummVM emulates it and that all that is needed are the MT-32 ROM files. (My reason for suggesting a better MIDI Mapper and soundfont.) But yes, using the MT-32 emulation is nice! Definitely recommend it Thumbs Up

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

You’re welcome. I actually own a MT-32, but haven’t used it for years. It’s become such a hassle to connect it to a Windows 10 laptop, and even though it’s feasible there’s too many repeatable steps involved for my liking. To my untrained ear MUNT sounds very comparable and it’s so easy to set-up. Really an excellent job by the MUNT developers.

Fate of Atlantis was fairly recently reviewed by The Adventure Gamer (advgamer.blogspot.com), a community of enthusiasts who review each and every adventure game chronologically. Fate of Atlantis holds currently the nr 1 spot (shared with Secret of Monkey Island). However, they have only reviewed games up to 1992. So greats such as Gabriel Knight, Day of the Tentacle and Broken Sword still have to be covered.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top