• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgottenIronCretinrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games in a real world setting?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Phlebas - 16 August 2018 09:01 AM

From what I know of it, Samaritan Paradox is an excellent suggestion!

There are parts of the game where the main character reads a fantasy books, and you get to enact this part, as a fictional character in a fantasy world. So if I’m correctly understanding your thread, this is kind of cheating.
Same goes for Edith Finch, which uses metaphores and memories as a way to introduce new gameplay.

On the other hand The Cat Lady, which has admitedly supernatural elements, feels to me totally set in the real world, because of the settings, of the issues it raises, and I guess of the “ordinary person” quality of the main character.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Phlebas - 16 August 2018 05:55 AM
Advie - 16 August 2018 05:48 AM

ok, seriously, Larry might fit perfectly or police quest.

Yes, I’d count the Larry games. They get pretty improbable but I get the feeling they’re basically set in a realish world.

I think DIY liposuction device and stuff like that goes a bit beyond improbable, not to mention that in one Larry game you actually get to visit Sierra studios where they have sets for Sierra games which really shatters even the slightest doubt about Larry taking place in the real world.

Of course the Larry character was inspired by an employee who was always bragging about his female conquests, so it indeed is more reality-based than your average adventure game.

I think we could mention games like Capri Connection, which don’t really qualify as such as the story is very much made up… “A mysterious vortex casts you into the body of Nick Freuds in a Parallel Universe through a Space-Time Rip.”

But having said that, their slogan actually says:
“The only adventure games set in real places with real characters interpreting themselves.”

http://www.caprisaga.com/the-capri-connection-1.html

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Fair enough on the Larry games - I haven’t played them myself so wasn’t sure how silly they got. Maybe some would qualify and not others.

GateKeeper - 16 August 2018 09:47 AM

I think we could mention games like Capri Connection, which don’t really qualify as such as the story is very much made up… “A mysterious vortex casts you into the body of Nick Freuds in a Parallel Universe through a Space-Time Rip.”

We could, but we’ve already said that a fantastical story set in a real-life location isn’t what we’re after here. There are some similar games that would count, though - The Sydney Mystery (I think) or the Carol Reed games, for instance.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Phlebas - 16 August 2018 10:19 AM
GateKeeper - 16 August 2018 09:47 AM

We could, but we’ve already said that a fantastical story set in a real-life location isn’t what we’re after here. There are some similar games that would count, though - The Sydney Mystery (I think) or the Carol Reed games, for instance.

It’s been a while since I played it, but I think Anacapri: The Dream was perfectly explainable in real-life terms although it involves dream settings and dream logic and so forth. So it’s no different from The Cat Lady, but not really what this thread is about.

As for the Larry games, does anyone think their depictions of relationships and sexuality are the slightest bit realistic?

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2006-12-19

PM

Developer bias here, but A Golden Wake is set in the real world, specifically 1920s Miami, and features a plot that doesn’t involve a mystery or anything fantastical.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

OK guys, how about Mainlining?

http://rebelephant.itch.io/mainlining

Not having played the game and not having (much) hacking experience, that seems like a relatively real world kind of game by its description.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think there’s a reason why nobody mentions Cryo’s numerous historical games (Egypt, China, Aztec, Pompei) or Hal Barwood’s and Noah Falstein’s Mata Hari. They were realistic, but so boring that nobody remembers them these days. IMHO Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight developed a perfect formula to keep people glued to the sreen by introducing supernatural elements in small amounts, to the point it is not always clear whether we are dealing with supernatural or not. I don’t really see a point in ultra-realistic settings, even in spy/detective genres there’s always a place for fictional sects, gadgets, rituals, some unexplained events.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think this strict real-life games you looking for is kinda absurd, bc if we wanted them to resemble everything but realistic settings then any media production from Games to movies and books couldn’t be but mundane releases or products, stories with their settings need to take the player on an imaginative journey because the most reason people attracted to these kinds of fantasy games is to escape reality.

Let’s take i.e the Knights Templars storyline, the holy blood, and the holy grail, outta of broken Sword and see how real-life-settings alone can give after all to the story and to how it would be entertaining us.
Let’s take the Hoodoo and the Voodoo outta Gabriel knight and see what game would it be.

anyone might not ve noticed but i crave for games with Realistic Setting, and how is it to me is to have basic really output, People not creatures, streets and buildings not villages and huts, road and cars not forest and carts, a real time of events not some imaginary ‘once upon a time’ stories.

Whether these setting were cartoony or real, in the past or at the future were all what i mentioned in the past paragraph is apparent (and what should be isn’t) with reasonable and believable look of my expectations of how life would be, still falls under the realistic settings, bc at the end settings imo is the cover of the book, the frame of the picture, the surroundings and the make-believe reality which and where our hero interact with/at.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Advie - 16 August 2018 01:27 PM

anyone might not ve noticed but i crave for games with Realistic Setting, and how is it to me is to have basic really output, People not creatures, streets and buildings not villages and huts, road and cars not forest and carts, a real time of events not some imaginary ‘once upon a time’ stories.

Villages and huts don’t make stories unrealistic or fantasy. People have lived in forests and huts much longer than in cities - and some people still do.
Even in very developed countries some people choose to do so, like Amish people, so I think cars and cities are not a very good measure for realism, it’s just your personal preference.

Also I am not sure what you mean by “real time” exactly, I assume you mean present day, not “real-time” as in a way to handle time within a game? That is your preference too, as you can have very realistic historical settings - just because the game doesn’t take place in our time, it doesn’t make it “once upon a time” thing automatically either.

By going back in time far enough you can even come to a situation where creatures are the real thing, and people are not. The age of dinosaurs. I am not sure how good an adventure game that would make though (and we are not talking about Jurassic Park now…  Wink )

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i didnt mean to say real-time really, it was real-life is what i wanted to typo tho i was too thinking of your assumption (amazing) really of understanding it, maybe that why i typed it wrong, so to explain more what was i thinking of real-time; it would include past events like i did mention at another paragraph, but it needs some kind of date? within true events of those past times, like i.e Django Unchanged for example, you build a story about some real past time events and then ad something, the people could consider fictional, that of a Black Cowboy, but it shouldn’t bother anyone cs i consider this outta the story, not the settings!, cs the setting are all real as what people learnt of those times and where story is taking place, with the settings of Black Slaves, cotton field, fanatic red necks, mayhap.

when some say ‘once upon time’ the story usually break the groud to accept anything that is about to be told, it prepares your expectation for any time of these events and open your mind to accept any settings, where the story can have all that the imaginative teller can include/tell, from dragon the Spitfire and animal the talk.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Apologies if someone has already mentioned these (I have only scanned the thread) but what about the Police Quest games?

Also where do the Sherlock Holmes games stand? There is out and out Supernatural like in Awakening, and then the magic deduction modes in the last couple of games. Do Sherlock’s powers of observation and deduction come under the same heading?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Speaking of Sierra there’s also Urban Runner.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Continuing this old discussion, because I just saw a new (to me, at least) video about modelling a real location into an adventure game location.

The game under development is The Safe Place, and the video shows a bridge somewhere in Russia being recreated by computer software.

I don’t have much information about the game itself, but at least the modelling process is very interesting to watch.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

It’s a forthcoming game from Anate Studio, the makers of Little Kite:
The Safe Place

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2018-10-06

PM

hmmm can we add freeware ones too or only commercial?These come in mind:

Cruise for a corpse
Fascination
Gold Rush!
Code-Name Iceman
Laura BOow series
DEJA VU series
Les Manley series
Operation Stealth
Nippon Safes Inc.
Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood (does this count?)
The Beverly Hillbillies
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Flash Traffic: City of Angels
The Big Red Adventure
Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
Undercover Missions: Operation Kursk K-141
In the Dead of Night
Night Trap
Repentant
Teen Agent
Ace Ventura
Devil In The Capital