• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange 2

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

had to bring back this thread for this video.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I’m playing this for the first time, up to episode 3.

I heard some stuff about how it was way inferior to LIS, but that’s all. At this point, I’m not really seeing the trashtalking as justified. LIS had a whole heap of sins, I thought the story tried to overreach the small town scale and thus sabotaged itself at times. LIS2 doesn’t make that mistake, at least not yet. There’s no “oh no! the whole town is going to die” stakes and that allows the focus to be where it should be, on two brothers with their own problems. The superpowers are unnecessary, which is probably the game’s biggest problem, but then again, I’m only on ep 3. But I can’t really say they were necessary in LIS1 either.

It’s not amazing or anything, sure, but it doesn’t warrant the criticism I’ve seen. It’s heartfelt and makes you feel stuff, which is basically what LIS at its best did. The biggest difference might be that now there’s no constant need for “drama!”, which makes the series seem slightly more mature somehow.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 January 2020 12:39 PM

OMG you really have it against this game don’t you lol Tongue I don’t really like those Game Sins videos. I know they’re not supposed to be taken seriously of course, but I just personally don’t find funny or amusing the level of nitpicking and silly random stuff that they consider to be a sin, regardless of the game.

I actually finished this game recently and I liked it. It’s not without its problems of course, but the ending I got gave me such a punch Cry In many ways I think it was superior to LiS 1, I felt the writing was stronger overall but in some other ways I still like the first one better, maybe in the way the powers were used and the puzzle elements.

I don’t wanna get into the political stuff I feel like it’s beating a dead horse by now, but suffice to say that personally I didn’t have much of a problem and can get behind with what they were trying to accomplish and the story they wanted to tell, warts and all. I don’t get to play games that attempt to tackle these issues everyday so I appreciate that on a personal level. Other themes explored like brotherhood and how your actions can affect the development of someone that looks up to you felt powerful to me and helped to overtake shortcomings in other areas.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

danigar - 08 October 2020 12:29 PM
Jdawg445 - 28 January 2020 12:39 PM

OMG you really have it against this game don’t you lol Tongue I don’t really like those Game Sins videos. I know they’re not supposed to be taken seriously of course, but I just personally don’t find funny or amusing the level of nitpicking and silly random stuff that they consider to be a sin, regardless of the game.

I actually finished this game recently and I liked it. It’s not without its problems of course, but the ending I got gave me such a punch Cry In many ways I think it was superior to LiS 1, I felt the writing was stronger overall but in some other ways I still like the first one better, maybe in the way the powers were used and the puzzle elements.

I don’t wanna get into the political stuff I feel like it’s beating a dead horse by now, but suffice to say that personally I didn’t have much of a problem and can get behind with what they were trying to accomplish and the story they wanted to tell, warts and all. I don’t get to play games that attempt to tackle these issues everyday so I appreciate that on a personal level. Other themes explored like brotherhood and how your actions can affect the development of someone that looks up to you felt powerful to me and helped to overtake shortcomings in other areas.

Short answer yes I do, its an over the top eye rollingly bad political message first, that goes after every low hanging fruit possiblelets introduce a dog as a possible pet, only to kill it 5 minutes later, bc it will make the player feel bad. that is such a cheap manipulative trick. And as a game its not much better than a telltale walking simulator.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Anything can be interpreted as having a political message. Which means it can also be interpreted as not having one. And I’m not even clear on what you’re referring to, so the connection is dubious. The question is whether there is more to the game than political messages, and in LIS2’s case there’s no denying there is.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vehelon - 10 October 2020 06:18 AM

Anything can be interpreted as having a political message. Which means it can also be interpreted as not having one. And I’m not even clear on what you’re referring to, so the connection is dubious. The question is whether there is more to the game than political messages, and in LIS2’s case there’s no denying there is.

no there wasnt there was attempt to change directions. After the first episode there were so many complaints that the devs sent out surveys on how to make the game better and what gamers wanted and being less political was the thing that got voted for the most. So they tried to pivot, very poorly but an attempt was at least made

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Interesting. Well, I would say they totally failed in that attempt. I mean, in the subsequent episodes you have church cults abducting kids, redneck stereotypes shooting latinos, criminal stoner hippies.

At the core though, and this is from the 1st episode, is a story about two brothers dealing with loss, trying to stick together and survive, the trials of fitting in when you are seen as different, leaving home and searching for a new home and family. None of that is political, or at least none of it necessarily needs to be.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I thought the ending was really good. Light years from a Telltale game.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

the ending was just like a telltale game, with a little more choice to the outcome.

here is the survey if you want to see the questions

https://survey.square-enix-games.com/lis2/?

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Thanks, much appreciated.

I suppose what makes me say it’s a different kind of ending from Telltale is that I remember Telltale having a lot of binary choices at the end, which give you a predetermined ending not influenced by the rest of the game or your other choices. And actually, if I remember correctly, LiS1 did this. LiS2 has 4 endings, and your selection of the final choice is only a partial factor in the ending you get. The other major factor is how you acted through the rest of the game, your influence on your brother and what you taught him about life. I mean, I’m not saying it’s a masterpiece, but I thought that was a step up and I give the game credit for that.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vehelon - 14 October 2020 09:31 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.

I suppose what makes me say it’s a different kind of ending from Telltale is that I remember Telltale having a lot of binary choices at the end, which give you a predetermined ending not influenced by the rest of the game or your other choices. And actually, if I remember correctly, LiS1 did this. LiS2 has 4 endings, and your selection of the final choice is only a partial factor in the ending you get. The other major factor is how you acted through the rest of the game, your influence on your brother and what you taught him about life. I mean, I’m not saying it’s a masterpiece, but I thought that was a step up and I give the game credit for that.

It did indeed give you more choice, but it was still binary to a degree. by the way its not only a problem here but all modern games, I feel like choice and player input had just as much choice or even more so back in the mid 90s. games like blade runner, wing commander, and witcher 2 (more modern), had more choice than the modern telltale games, or the mass effect games. etc…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the link to the survey, i took it and I found it quite detailed and interesting. I hope it helps them to develop future games.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

no problem and I think it was quite telling, they did try to shift focus away in later episodes, from the at least to me the over the top politics, so kudos there to them.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

LIS2 have great premise and some similarities with DBH, that your interaction and influence on your brother shapes up his future decisions and your destiny overall.
That’s the kind of achivement of story Cage and QD couldn’t make it in past 20 years.
Although found that story&character; development very well till fourth episode,finale leaves a great question mark,for escape why they drive to border gate instead of already teared down wall?
What you’ll get at the ending takes place as best and most unforgettable in adventures history,showing years later after the incidents what future brings..

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top