• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Huge post-release updates

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Greetings fellow amphibians

Picture this: You’ve bought a game which you like well enough, but you’re thinking while playing it: “gee, this would be a LOT better with voice acting”.

One year later…a post from the developers : “Guys! We’ve just released a big update! The game now has full voice acting!”

Well, this is exactly what happened with Jenny LeClue, almost a year after its 2019 release.

How do you feel about this kind of thing?

Personally speaking, I’m not a big “replayer”, especially games which are essentially move your character forwards while interacting with things in front of you. I love those games, but I also love playing something new. So I’m not annoyed by the update, in fact I think it’s all sorts of wonderful, but it kind of gives me second thoughts about buying new games within a year of release.

What do you other wonderful amphibians think? Any other examples of huge updates or revamps on the original game? Are developers releasing games prematurely, deciding to include certain features later instead of when released?

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Donuts McGee - 18 August 2020 03:26 AM

One year later…a post from the developers : “Guys! We’ve just released a big update! The game now has full voice acting!”

Any other examples of huge updates or revamps on the original game?

Very many!
In the 90’s there were a good number of games which came first as text versions, then followed by a talkie version a year or two later.

Interplay’s Star Trek games are among the best known examples of this, as they managed to gather the entire original cast, so no cheap replacement actors.

It’s a bit strange to have that pattern of events these days anymore, it’s a very rare throwback to the 90’s. Kinda cool though.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it was announced from its release day that a talkie version will be coming soon, took a while more than expected tho.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

GateKeeper - 18 August 2020 03:34 AM
Donuts McGee - 18 August 2020 03:26 AM

Any other examples of huge updates or revamps on the original game?

Very many!
In the 90’s there were a good number of games which came first as text versions, then followed by a talkie version a year or two later.

Interplay’s Star Trek games are among the best known examples of this, as they managed to gather the entire original cast, so no cheap replacement actors.

It’s a bit strange to have that pattern of events these days anymore, it’s a very rare throwback to the 90’s. Kinda cool though.

But that’s a talkie version, which is different. Could you take the unvoiced game back from where you bought it and exchange it for the talkie? Which is basically what you now when a patch is released.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

most games came out between 89-91 on diskettes were re-released on CDs with the full voice acting version due to the CDrom evolution at the time

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Ok, I can see how talkies are relevant.

About developers, it’s in their interest to not leave large updates until later. Like Syberia 3, which was full of bugs, and got bad reviews and sales because of them. It makes me wonder how many hidden gems there are with bad reviews, which were fixed up later and would now be 4 or 5 star games.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Vehelon - 18 August 2020 08:08 AM

It makes me wonder how many hidden gems there are with bad reviews, which were fixed up later and would now be 4 or 5 star games.

I’d assume quite a few. I’m personally sitting on one RPG at the moment, and have been for a couple of years now, in hopes that the developers will finally manage to fix the game. They do try, but as their release sales were bad, they don’t really have a lot of manpower, so the few that do keep updating the game slowly are basically doing it on their spare time.

The game in question was a Kickstarter title, so they didn’t have a huge budget begin with, but what they managed to do is interesting, and fully playable to the end, but riddled with quite a few bugs.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Vehelon - 18 August 2020 07:41 AM
GateKeeper - 18 August 2020 03:34 AM

But that’s a talkie version, which is different. Could you take the unvoiced game back from where you bought it and exchange it for the talkie? Which is basically what you now when a patch is released.

I don’t know, presumably not, but there were cases where you could buy voices as a data disk, which in present day terms would be called DLC.

I’m not sure if adventure games had that, but at least Wing Commander had speech packs.

I quickly tried to find an example of adventure game speech packs, but the closest thing that I could find was Ultima VIII.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/pagan-ultima-viii-speech-pack

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think the additional speech packs were a relatively short period, as when the CD finally hit through in the 90s, it spread relatively quickly, so the games moved on to having a full-scale speech in the launch. By then, games from the 80s were seen too old have such addons, so they received voices only if they were remade.

Then there were the cases, where a CD and a disk version of the game were released separately, like with Day of the Tentacle. When that came out I played the disk version of it, where only the intro was voiced.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I’m really hoping The Outer Wilds will get an update or mod where you don’t have to race against time. I keep hearing talk about the game and I have tried it myself, but racing through mazes and completing tasks to beat a time limit is bad enough once, let alone multiple times.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top