• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New 3DS announced

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

new to the 3DS thing, but damn, this little console is packed with great games

Yes, I have my 3DS and 54 games up in my closet in a box. There are some great gaming moments up there.

My favorite was Resident Evil: Revelations. Love that game. I do have to admit, the Switch Lite is better, has more power and its game selection is amazing. But it does not have AR or 3D which I loved on the 3DS. Also, if you don’t mind older titles, there are some real gems out there available on the 3DS.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I heard about RE: Revelations being great. It’s on my wishlist Smile I also got Metroid Samus Returns and while I didn’t play it properly yet (will probably do it once I’ll finish Shantae), it looks amazing in 3d.

Actually, for me it was the other way around. Tried Switch Lite, but it just didn’t grab me. I felt most of its library, that interested me, was either available on PC or android/ios. Except for Nintendo exclusives of course, but out of those I was mostly interested in Zelda titles. Link’s Awakening was fantastic, but Breath of the Wild, while probably a great game, felt too huge for me. I’d have to sink in too much hours and I simply don’t have as much time for games as I used to.

3DS on the other hand, feels much more unique to me. Library is full of exclusives that you can’t find anywhere else and those cross-platform titles that are there, feel somehow fresh due to 2-screens and 3D. Also all the series that I like are there. From Zelda and Layton to Castelvanias and Metroid.

Graphics, especially real time 3d, might not be as flashy as in newer titles on Switch, but they have some old-school charm to them and stereoscopic 3d makes them interesting again.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, the 3DS had mostly its own games. While the Switch gets mostly PC ports. The DS had quite a few unique games too, too bad the Switch is not like them.

I also agree, the 3D can really make games on the system amazing to play, I loved using 3D myself. There are.a few adventure games on the system which does add to the fun of playing them. I’d recommend the Layton games on the 3DS to start with.

You should also give Spirit Camera a play too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Mikekelly - 21 May 2020 09:51 AM

Thanks! I’ll try it out.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Egon - 20 May 2020 06:19 AM

I know I’m late to the whole 3DS thing, but damn, this little console is packed with great games. Just playing through Shantae and The Pirate’s Curse. What a great game! It’s a pure metroidvania with great gameplay and humour. And 3D… it makes the game really pop. A perfect implementation if you ask me.

Btw, I tried Half Genie Hero a few years back and didn’t like it much. Too simplistic and arcadey.

Egon, I’m really surprised to hear that.  I liked half genie hero more because of all the cool powers and dances and magic and stuff.  Felt like a bigger adventure.  Where I thought the pirates curse felt closer to megaman or castlevania with just good challenging platforming with no frills.

heads up! I preordered Shantae and the seven sirens physical on limited run games.  Go check it out if you want a physical copy for switch or ps4

Origami - 20 May 2020 01:44 PM
Mikekelly - 13 May 2020 12:09 PM

One of the best things about the Layton games on the DS is that each game has a booklet with secret codes to unlock new content in previous or future layton games!  It really gives you a good reason to go for complete in box Layton games.

I actually have complete copies of all the Layton games on the DS - I’ve heard they are worth some money. The Layton games are some of my favorite games on the system.

I have them all sealed.

I’m so jealous of your life!  I am only missing the 4th DS game, and on the 3ds I only have the PWAA crossover.

Egon - 22 May 2020 04:27 AM
Mikekelly - 21 May 2020 09:51 AM

Thanks! I’ll try it out.

I think I have that game, but I popped it in once, made sure it worked, and then put in on the shelf to play later and never touched it again.  That’s one of those alter reality games right that uses the DS camera?  Or am I thinking of something else?  I have a couple of those AR type games, but none of them were particularly impressive to me.  fun for a short gaming session, but haven’t found an AR game that I would play for hours ya know

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think I have that game, but I popped it in once, made sure it worked, and then put in on the shelf to play later and never touched it again.  That’s one of those alter reality games right that uses the DS camera?

Yes, it’s an AR game that uses the 3DS cameras. I found it rather fun and the game has a very high creepy factor. It’s one of the few AR games on the system and is well worth checking out. Always buy a new copy as you must have the book enclosed with the game to play it.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 26 May 2020 11:58 AM

Yes, it’s an AR game that uses the 3DS cameras. I found it rather fun and the game has a very high creepy factor. It’s one of the few AR games on the system and is well worth checking out. Always buy a new copy as you must have the book enclosed with the game to play it.

Heart

Haha yeah, it’s kind of weird how off disc copy protection came back with the 3ds (even bravely default makes you scan a card to start the game)

I think I have spirit camera and the Hidden on 3ds, and the Hidden is pretty weak in my opinion.  I don’t remember much about the Spirit Camera, but I bought it because there are a whole sub genre of camera-themed horror games, and I thought I would try it.

But what happened is I would look through the camera, and be like

“Wow, who left all that mail lying on the table?!  Pretty spooky!  Oh Wait. That was me.  That’s not in the game, that’s in real life.”

And then I get distracted by all the cleaning up I should do ^_^

Pro tip, if you are not a very organized person, the AR games don’t always know what to do with your surroundings Foot in mouth

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

the Hidden on 3ds, and the Hidden is pretty weak in my opinion

The Hidden was pretty marginal. The game would simply stop finding ghosts until you found a new wi fi source then it would have you ghost hunting again.

Now, the AR in Bravely Default was amazing. I used to replay the AR portion of the game over and over.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly - 28 May 2020 09:10 PM

the Hidden on 3ds, and the Hidden is pretty weak in my opinion

The Hidden was pretty marginal. The game would simply stop finding ghosts until you found a new wi fi source then it would have you ghost hunting again.

Now, the AR in Bravely Default was amazing. I used to replay the AR portion of the game over and over.

Heart

So that’s how I was surprised

I really thought nintendo would double down on AR with the switch or at least have a whole line of games for it, kind of the way sony has PSVR, but they didn’t.  I think they got their R&D dollars back with pokemon GO, and called it a day.

AR was actually a lot more impressive than VR (would have loved a “Keep talking and nobody explodes in AR too, or MOSS AR edition or something), and much more accessible in terms of the level of hardware needed to render the AR.  (yes it has to take in an image, and output an image, but compared to low latency and high frame rate needed for most VR games, still marginal power requirements)

Because I used to work at a games store, I have quite a few of the AR cards they released, but it’s not an extensive line of cards or games.

Cry

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really thought nintendo would double down on AR with the switch

Sadly, the AR games on the 3DS didn’t sell too well and so they didn’t go after that market with the Switch. There are only a handful of AR games on the 3DS, I have them all but I knew that didn’t sell very well when I bought them.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’d actually love to see 3ds 2.
On this years CES glasses-free stereoscopic displays made somewhat of a comeback. It was said that first glasses free products (tablets, monitors, etc.) should be released next year.

With better res, higher refresh rate and possibly eye tracking for more accurate stereoscopic effect (no eye straining), a game console like 3DS could be really interesting.

Another interesting stereoscopic demonstration seen on CES (possible because of eye tracking), was kind of a “VR-screen”. Meaning, the 3d scene wasn’t static as you were moving around the screen and walking closer/further from it. Similar to VR, the scene’s perspective was changing. So it seemed like you were peering into another world behind the screen. Very cool and something I could see Nintendo use for their games.

Btw, I’m sure we’ll eventually see some kind of VR (and AR) device from Nintendo - beyond their experiments with VR and Switch.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Egon - 02 June 2020 12:30 PM

I’d actually love to see 3ds 2.
On this years CES glasses-free stereoscopic displays made somewhat of a comeback. It was said that first glasses free products (tablets, monitors, etc.) should be released next year.

With better res, higher refresh rate and possibly eye tracking for more accurate stereoscopic effect (no eye straining), a game console like 3DS could be really interesting.

Another interesting stereoscopic demonstration seen on CES (possible because of eye tracking), was kind of a “VR-screen”. Meaning, the 3d scene wasn’t static as you were moving around the screen and walking closer/further from it. Similar to VR, the scene’s perspective was changing. So it seemed like you were peering into another world behind the screen. Very cool and something I could see Nintendo use for their games.

Btw, I’m sure we’ll eventually see some kind of VR (and AR) device from Nintendo - beyond their experiments with VR and Switch.

I would love this too!

And I mean really, the New 3ds XL did include eye tracking for that reason, and it worked better than the original 3ds, but you can still notice when the cameras and screen are recalibrating trying to find your eyes, or if you hold it at a weird angle, it doesn’t work at all.

There are not a ton of pixels on any 3ds screen, and to have to cut them in half to achieve the stereo-video effect just makes things look blurry, less sharp, and gave me a headache.

I’m really sensitive to VR/AR/3d effects.  Most of them give me a headache or motion sickness instantly.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have a new 3DS XL and I loved the 3D. And yes the tracking was much improved and worked great.

Sony also tried PS3D during PS3 era.

However 3D was a fad, even in movies and for Console gaming we have seen the last of it. The 3DS is out of production now and the last few 3DS releases didn’t even support it.

Nintendo does still make the 2DS however, but no new games.

I do have a PS3D system and it is quite a bit of fun to play, the 3D was excellent.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just one correction. New 3DS xl is actually tracking your head not eyes. With eye tracking (that is slowly making its way into consumer products) you could make 3d effect even more comfortable.

Never heard of PS3D. Looks interesting. It’s pretty much a 3d TV tailored for PS3, right?

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I have also never heard of PS3D.

Also, Egon, seriously?  There was a lot of mixed messaging at the time they came out because some people said eye-tracking, some people say head-tracking, some people say face-tracking.  It all got very muddled but MANY really reputable tech- sources described it as eye tracking, and I got that stuck in my head.

Yes, it is in fact tracking your ‘head/face’  and if you play in the dark or at an angle where the DS can’t find your head/face then the 3d quickly stops working.

I was still glad that they improved that along with adding the c-stick and making the hardware more powerful.

Yeah Mikekelly, I’m dying to hear more about this PS3D thing because it sounds rad.  I have been recently playing uncharted 2, and I would be interested if that series had some 3d effects since the world is colorful, and the 3d adventuring is a major component.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top