• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 100 All-Time Adventures update

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gabe - 04 October 2019 05:31 AM

When you think of the number of remakes,it works and no doubt Grim Fandango Remastered will be #1 again.

And there would be no harm in that, as the remaster really does fix the single most annoying thing about the game, the controls. Otherwise, it is just as good or bad as you remember it being.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not saying that we’ve reached an impasse. But it seems we’ve reached a “lull” in the action.

If there is any way to move forward on this, I suggest we request input from Jakal. He is the one to tell us how to break down this elephant into small bites.

And I’m basing that suggestion on previous posts that say that staff absolutely needs to take the lead on this project. And that assumes staff agrees that it’s time for a “Top 100” rewrite.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Kono yo no hate de koi o utau Shoujo YU-NO (a 1996 legendary Japanese point-n-click which finally got an official English release this year)
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (best of the Frogwares SH titles IMO, maybe even better than Serrated Scalpel)
The Blackwell Epiphany
Snatcher
Death Gate
Life Is Strange

The Pandora Directive has aged poorly and does not deserve to be rated as high as it is. Copypasting here a short review I wrote on another site:

Ahh, Tex Murphy: Pandora directive. The most acclaimed installment of the series, but which I in fact believe is representative of the Tex Murphy games’ worst qualities. Pandora Directive keeps the worst flaws of the previous game, Under a Killing Moon:

* A horrible 3D control scheme. Instead of something resembling WASD, you must use a mouse to walk (controlling your speed is tricky) and a bunch of other buttons to look up/down etc.

* Uninspired gameplay which consists mostly of talking to everybody about everything, pixel hunting rooms for items, and solving logic puzzles and timed puzzles.

And there’s several problems specific to this one:

* There is a multiple ending gimmick that gives you a different conclusion depending on your choices, but unless you want to replay the whole thing this means that you have to use a walkthrough to get the endings you want or watch them on YouTube after finishing the game.

* A cheesy and cliché plot combining government conspiracies and aliens. Try to reach the MacGuffin before the bad guys do.

* The air duct maze sequence. At about 2/3 through game, you have to send a little robot in said maze, which is filled with various hazards. The maze leads to several rooms, which you then have to pixel hunt for the necessary items to bring back. The controls here somehow manage to be even worse than usual. It took me at least an hour and was pure tedium. This is one of the worst sequences I’ve ever encountered in a video game.

* The game is really long, so if you didn’t enjoy Under a Killing Moon prepare for an absolute slog.

Not recommended unless you’re an adventure game completionist. The other games in the series are better but still not great.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I posted a PM to Jackal a few nights ago. Basically stating that we know staff was going to be in charge of everything pertaining to creating a new Top 100. But I wanted to know what, if any role we, the group who have been participating on this thread might have in helping to construct a new Top 100 list.

I am not going to post his reply.

But part of the reply said that he thought he made it clear in his one and only post, what the various roles would be. I didn’t see any of that.

So…. I would like it if Jackal would paraphrase what he said in the PM, and post it to this thread. FWIW, I have no problem whatsoever with his PM reply to me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

rtrooney - 10 October 2019 10:05 PM

I posted a PM to Jackal a few nights ago. Basically stating that we know staff was going to be in charge of everything pertaining to creating a new Top 100. But I wanted to know what, if any role we, the group who have been participating on this thread might have in helping to construct a new Top 100 list.

I am not going to post his reply.

But part of the reply said that he thought he made it clear in his one and only post, what the various roles would be. I didn’t see any of that.

So…. I would like it if Jackal would paraphrase what he said in the PM, and post it to this thread. FWIW, I have no problem whatsoever with his PM reply to me.

I just checked and he’s posted more than once. And from those posts it sounds like the users won’t have any role at all.

Anyway, why would we have a role? If you want a forum Top 100 then post a poll thread or series of threads. Easy.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 10 October 2019 10:05 PM

But I wanted to know what, if any role we, the group who have been participating on this thread might have in helping to construct a new Top 100 list.

I really hope there’s no reader input at all. If it’s a staff based list, then even if some choices might be weird, one can always consider those as editorial choices.

Any list with reader input is going to be very messy, and it’s impossible to know whether some game has been chosen because it was reviewed as a good game or whether it has a loud fanbase.

Having said that, I am interested in other people’s rankings, so some “Readers’ Top 100” would be a nice thread to have to see how different approaches people have to adventure gaming.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

GateKeeper - 11 October 2019 05:19 AM

Any list with reader input is going to be very messy, and it’s impossible to know whether some game has been chosen because it was reviewed as a good game or whether it has a loud fanbase.

An adventure game that has a loud fanbase is probably a game that would interest other AGers, regardless of the reviews it gets.

Most forumers have a very extensive knowledge of AGs, so I figured their input would be interesting for a list that’s supposed to be (at least that’s how I see it) an introduction to the genre for some, and a mean to complete one’s collection for others.

I would have liked to have, for example, the forum count as one staff member.
But I understand that that’s very unlikely to happen, and that’s no big deal, any update will be welcomed.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I really don’t mind not being consulted as to which games should be included. But, once the games have been selected, I think the group deserves the opportunity to provide positioning input.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top