• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The X-files Game

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2004-08-07

PM

I have been wanting to play this again, I haven’t played it in years. Will it run under windows 10?

Thanks!

Faith Tongue

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

If you can hang on for a day or two I’ll see if I can get my copy working (Windows 10 64 bit).

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Since I had a few minutes unexpectedly I’ve just tried and QuickTime is an immediate problem:

It does then finish the installation with:

but unsurprisingly fails to start because of QuickTime. I’ll try downloading a more recent version of QT later today if no-one else has come along with some info.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Actually, I’m not going to download QT because, in looking for an updated version, I found this:

Uninstall QT

Since my Windows 10 PC is my main one (and it’s well protected) I’m not about to take stupid risks. I will, however, try it on another, off-line, PC to see what happens but this will be Windows 7 I’m afraid.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-12-16

PM

I realise this isn’t a very helpful post to make, but I just thought I would comment anyway. I recently, last year I think, played through this game under Windows 10 so it is possible. Honestly, I don’t really remember now how I ended up getting it to work. It was something to do with Quicktime, I think. I think if you install….an older version of Quicktime you can get it to work. You can find older versions on Apple’s website I’m pretty sure.

Sorry it’s so vague and not very helpful, but I just wanted people to know it is possible. Well, it was last year. Unless they updated Windows 10 and broke compatibility somehow, it should be the same.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

mohok - 15 September 2016 07:38 PM

I realise this isn’t a very helpful post to make, but I just thought I would comment anyway. I recently, last year I think, played through this game under Windows 10 so it is possible. Honestly, I don’t really remember now how I ended up getting it to work. It was something to do with Quicktime, I think. I think if you install….an older version of Quicktime you can get it to work. You can find older versions on Apple’s website I’m pretty sure.

Sorry it’s so vague and not very helpful, but I just wanted people to know it is possible. Well, it was last year. Unless they updated Windows 10 and broke compatibility somehow, it should be the same.

Were you running 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 10, assuming that you remember of course? I haven’t had time to try on another machine yet but I suspect that it must have been 32 bit as the old version of QT that comes with the game won’t install on 64 bit.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-04-17

PM

Solution: To get The X-Files Game running on Windows 10, simply install a current version of QuickTime. I used QuickTime 7.73.80.64 with my Windows 10 system after installing all the game files to my computer with a complete installation.
Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Damn, was just looking through some of my old games today, saw my copy of X-Files and decided to google what became of some of the actors.

First one I googled was of course Jordan Lee Williams who played Craig Willmore. Was pretty shocked to see he passed away last year. Pretty sad.

Does anyone know what happened?

Loved this game back in the day. Haven’t played it in years. Frown

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Oops didn’t realize this is in technical problems lol. Was the only thread I could find for x files Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

This is one of my favourite games which I’ve went back to replay multiple times so eventually I got sick of the hours struggling to get it to work everytime I did and wrote down the steps of what it took to get it working Grin

1.Install
-Installer may need to run in admin mode and in compatibility mode for 95/98/xp
-Do a full Install
-if installer crashes when selecting the directory then check that there is enough spaceon the HDD
-Don't change the default directory or the game wont run

2. Install Quicktime 6.52
-Set Audio Out options to WavOut
-Possibly needs to be set to safemode only GDI in settings

3.Set xfiles.exe compatibility settings
-windows 98 mode
-16-bit colours
-Can only run in 640x480
-disable dpi scaling 

You’ve mentioned you don’t want to install an old version of Quicktime so unless anything has changed with the latest versions then I don’t think it will be possible to run, the only other option is to run a VM and install it in that but then you could just run windows 95 or 98 in the VM and install it normally.

about the version of Quicktime I’ve said to install, I’ve no idea why but for whatever reason that seemed to be the specific version of quicktime that worked even though it’s not the one on the discs. It seemed to be some combination of the compatibility features being added but still being close enough to the needed version that it works with the game I guess.

it’s been a while since I replayed it but unless some windows update made a drastic change then these steps should allow you to play the game in Windows 10, hopefully it’s useful to anyone else who was hoping to play and doesn’t mind installing Quicktime Grin

McCoy97 - 24 July 2019 08:51 AM

Oops didn’t realize this is in technical problems lol. Was the only thread I could find for x files Smile

Well that just means you need to make your own thread! Grin

Edit: and I’ve just realised all the other posts are years old and this post was of no use to anyone Foot in mouth Pan

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It was an great game though, to be fair, with these latest comments I’m tempted to try it again (if I can find a actual dvd drive in a computer!)

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Yeah I had this game as a kid, and I recently bought it again for the ps1 collection, but I seriously struggle with this game. 

I was able to finally collect a little bit of evidence from the warehouse, but CheezNRice this game is slow to start.  I was super pumped to get into this investigation, and I even was excited to get into the procedures.  I read the manual attentively, and I even read the newspapers in the game, and called all the phone numbers, but making progress in this game is ridiculous ARGH!

I will stick with it, now that some of you are waxing romantically about it.  I’m sure that it’ll get better….  right?

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Sadly, things don’t always hold up too well (and fond memories tend to make things more positive then they were….)

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Well see, that’s the thing.  I could not make progress in it as a kid, but also I’d never really played that kind of adventure game before.  I figure as an adult, now that I’m more familiar with tropes and mechanics that are often used in adventure games, Surely I will be able to make more progress.

Sadly I think it’s just a lack luster game over all.

I also have an xfile board game, and it’s one of the worst board games in my collection.  I don’t understand why all this xfiles media was made.  I mean yeah it was popular at the time, but the xfiles IP has a strong potential.  It would be fun to investigate super natural mysteries…

I recently bought a Roswell conspiracies game based on the cartoon.  I’ll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Celebreon - 27 February 2020 12:55 PM

I recently bought a Roswell conspiracies game based on the cartoon.  I’ll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

I take it that you’ve played The Pandora Directive then?

As far as the X Files goes then I found it a pretty good game provided you remember that you’re playing as an investigator as the game does try to stay as near to real life as it could - keeping in mind that it’s a computer game of course Smile

There was a difficult area or two to move on from due to the game creators trying to keep it real. The first was, indeed, the warehouse where you had to find a bullet to continue and that was by no means easy. The other that I recall was on a ship and it showing radioactivity which I had problems with. Been a long time since I played it but I remember the game fondly.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I have not played the Pandora Directive yet!  (Is it worth it??)

Yeah some of the spoilers you have above… well it took a few more days than I’d like, to figure them out.  I think the biggest problem is that most adventure games I’ve played are like 3rd person graphic adventures, and not these first person ones.  These first person adventure games have so many screens where I can’t do anything,(what is the point?!) and then on the screens where I can do something, I can’t even tell that anything important is on screen!  I get the realistic aspect, and I actually was excited for the clinical procedural aspects. Sorry I’m done ranting now.  I’m really just more determined than ever now!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top