• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange 2

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 21 August 2018 10:40 PM
Jdawg445 - 21 August 2018 09:40 PM

Def bad white people, and we get to see two written in the most cliche ways possible. Over zealous cop shoots an american mexican for no reason, showing he is incompentent fits snug into the poltical agenda.

It also fits snug into the reality of what’s been happening in America, so I don’t see the problem with it.

it really doesnt very few people are shot or killed for no reason, and even less people of color, bc police know race will get brought into it after that even if there was a legit reason to discharge a fireman.

But let me talk about the bigger problem here at least to me. I was really interested at the start. loved the voice actors for the male and female lead of the trailer, thought the dad sounded really bad and like he was reading his lines from a cue card, but anyways I was like cool we get to play as an american mexican kid, we never get to do that, this should be interesting and a change of perspective. But then they went on to do one of the most cliche routes ever with white bully and white cop causes death, only thing more cliche would be having a border patrol agent there to throw dad in jail and deport him. How about instead we do something original and let the kid go to the party and go from there.

Like I said I have no problem with games or any media wanting to push a political agenda but at least try to weave it into the game and not be so obvious and surface level with it. Makes me rolls my eyes. Just my two cents

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 August 2018 09:43 AM

Def bad white people, and we get to see two written in the most cliche ways possible. Over zealous cop shoots an american mexican for no reason, showing he is incompentent fits snug into the poltical agenda.

It also fits snug into the reality of what’s been happening in America, so I don’t see the problem with it.

it really doesnt very few people are shot or killed for no reason, and even less people of color, bc police know race will get brought into it after that even if there was a legit reason to discharge a fireman.

So… the whole Black Lives Matter protest movement is just in their imaginations? I mean, they’re protesting for a reason, not just for the fun of it.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Really cool gameplay video! This seems to continue the great quality and production values of the first game. Thumbs up Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 22 August 2018 10:20 AM

So… the whole Black Lives Matter protest movement is just in their imaginations? I mean, they’re protesting for a reason, not just for the fun of it.

Lol ok look how much gun violence happens in chicago per capita and how much of that is due to police its not hard to look up the data. Please dont believe everything you see on msnbc or fox or any of them

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 August 2018 02:04 PM
Luhr28 - 22 August 2018 10:20 AM

Lol ok look how much gun violence happens in chicago per capita and how much of that is due to police its not hard to look up the data. Please dont believe everything you see on msnbc or fox or any of them

So police are put into the same category along with gun violence, the same responsibility level as killers and criminals. That’s not right. They should be aiming a lot higher (no pun intended)

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just completed spiderman now there is a game with a well rounded view pt of cops. You see all sides.

In the opening moments you see cops that have been paid off by fisk to try and kill spiderman. but throughout the game you see all sides of a police force, those that are trying to help spiderman and the citizens of new york, to those who distrust spiderman but eventually come to trust him. to a woman of Asian decent who is a police captain and a great one at that. Nothing is black and white in the world Pun intended not even the police force

To me it seems the life is strange devs are going for the absolute most lowest hanging fruit possible.

If all white male cops are not shown to be complete bafoons or evil in the game I will be shocked in a good way.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’m going to be the Grammer police. Spider-Man <——-

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 September 2018 10:03 AM

I just completed spiderman now there is a game with a well rounded view pt of cops. You see all sides.

In the opening moments you see cops that have been paid off by fisk to try and kill spiderman. but throughout the game you see all sides of a police force, those that are trying to help spiderman and the citizens of new york, to those who distrust spiderman but eventually come to trust him. to a woman of Asian decent who is a police captain and a great one at that. Nothing is black and white in the world Pun intended not even the police force

To me it seems the life is strange devs are going for the absolute most lowest hanging fruit possible.

If all white male cops are not shown to be complete bafoons or evil in the game I will be shocked in a good way.

But why would you so safely assume this after their well rounded portrayal of combat veterans in Life Is Strange 1?

If they’re coming from the hard-line political perspective you’re assuming, wouldn’t they have made David Madsen a total bastard? Even Nathan had a mild redemptive arc.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 23 September 2018 01:49 PM

But why would you so safely assume this after their well rounded portrayal of combat veterans in Life Is Strange 1?

If they’re coming from the hard-line political perspective you’re assuming, wouldn’t they have made David Madsen a total bastard? Even Nathan had a mild redemptive arc.

We shall see but everything from that game play demo looks like a hardcore statement down to the last shot and I just think there’s so many more interesting stories you coukd tell. I would love to play as a Mexican American and have their power come from their heritage or something in that vain. I would love to play as a Native American. but just not going for the lowest hanging fruit possible, I hope I’m wrong and will be really surprised if I am I just don’t think I am

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I finally got around to playing chapter 1, and I’m pretty surprised to find that there’s no discussion going on here since the game released (unless I found the wrong thread).

Anyway, I thought it was really good.  The first LiS had a pretty rocky start, IMO, and then got better as it went along.  This one had much more natural sounding dialogue, the characters felt more like real people, and it made you more attached and concerned for the characters from the start.

Too early to say how it’ll all turn out, but the sky is the limit here.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Honestly, it sounds more like what you actually want is for every cop to be portrayed in a positive light.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single work of fiction with more than one cop in it where every single one was portrayed negatively.  But I have seen plenty where every one is portrayed positively, and that’s a lot less controversial to people.

In chapter 1 it seemed like we only met one cop (who made a panicked mistake instead of purposely doing anything evil).  But in general people in this game were displayed from all walks of life, and varying degrees of morality.  And really a lot of it is open to interpretation as well.

(Spoilers for chapter 1)

The owner of the shop was clearly shown in a negative light.  However, people like this do exist.  And without a doubt, if Sean didn’t escape, there’d be TONS of people proclaiming this guy to be a hero.  “A teen on the run from the police that’s suspected in a cop’s murder is captured by a small town store owner.”  No one would care that he was a bit banged up after he was found.

In general though, there were clearly many white people that were portrayed either positively or neutrally, and only 2 that were clearly portrayed negatively.  And only one that was obviously racist.  And definitely some of the way people reacted to them in general was more related to them being homeless and dirty than them being Hispanic.  Even for the shopkeeper I think this was largely true.  Even with his clear racist language at times, he wasn’t portrayed as a person that’d show any racism towards a random Hispanic customer that wasn’t wanted by the police or wasn’t a homeless shoplifter.

I think it’s very different from how you’ve been describing it.  It’s not propaganda, it’s just addressing concerns that are prevalent in today’s society, opening up the discussion, and allowing you to form whatever opinions you’d like about it.  And also, clearly, there’s more to the story than just these political themes.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I almost don’t want to talk about this game at all because the 1st episode was awful beyond what I had possibly imagined.

I’m hoping that they can redeem themselves with episode 2 but idk.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Detective Mosely - 07 January 2019 10:54 AM

Honestly, it sounds more like what you actually want is for every cop to be portrayed in a positive light.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single work of fiction with more than one cop in it where every single one was portrayed negatively.  But I have seen plenty where every one is portrayed positively, and that’s a lot less controversial to people.

In chapter 1 it seemed like we only met one cop (who made a panicked mistake instead of purposely doing anything evil).  But in general people in this game were displayed from all walks of life, and varying degrees of morality.  And really a lot of it is open to interpretation as well.

(Spoilers for chapter 1)

The owner of the shop was clearly shown in a negative light.  However, people like this do exist.  And without a doubt, if Sean didn’t escape, there’d be TONS of people proclaiming this guy to be a hero.  “A teen on the run from the police that’s suspected in a cop’s murder is captured by a small town store owner.”  No one would care that he was a bit banged up after he was found.

In general though, there were clearly many white people that were portrayed either positively or neutrally, and only 2 that were clearly portrayed negatively.  And only one that was obviously racist.  And definitely some of the way people reacted to them in general was more related to them being homeless and dirty than them being Hispanic.  Even for the shopkeeper I think this was largely true.  Even with his clear racist language at times, he wasn’t portrayed as a person that’d show any racism towards a random Hispanic customer that wasn’t wanted by the police or wasn’t a homeless shoplifter.

I think it’s very different from how you’ve been describing it.  It’s not propaganda, it’s just addressing concerns that are prevalent in today’s society, opening up the discussion, and allowing you to form whatever opinions you’d like about it.  And also, clearly, there’s more to the story than just these political themes.

im glad your enjoying the game but the devs wont get my money. Like I said in my original post on this game, I think they could have went in so many different interesting directions with an american mexican kid other than he gets bullied by white kid than his dad gets shot by a white officer 2 minutes later, to me that is going for the low hanging propaganda fruit, instead of investing in his culture and character study.

much like the movie widows which I saw with my wife the main crux of the movie is liam neeson and viola davis are married, their son is shot and killed by an officer with a hair trigger, this causes Liam Neeson to go crazy, set up his crew (He is a heist man) to be killed and get one of his crew’s white wife pregnant while also faking his own death, so his new kid and girlfriend wont be harassed by police, while leaving Viola davis devastated bc she thinks her son and husband have been killed until she finds out the truth about neeson’s character If this all sounds convoluted well it is but the point of it all is all white men even those married to black women cant be trusted at all lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 08 January 2019 04:06 AM

I almost don’t want to talk about this game at all because the 1st episode was awful beyond what I had possibly imagined.

I’m hoping that they can redeem themselves with episode 2 but idk.

why did you not like it

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

here are just some excerpts from some reviews around the web to me it seems im exactly right, with what they were going to do with this game. here are some quotes from ign and others…

That Life is Strange 2 should grapple with the political so overtly is admirable, but Paris-based developer Dontnod Entertainment’s execution tends to be a bit broad. Washington’s rural xenophobes — who spit bile at our foreign-born protagonists and grouse about “building that wall” — feel almost cartoonishly bigoted. Their acts of violence, often racially motivated, feel sensationalized, and lack much of the nuance and sensitivity of which we know the studio is capable based on its previous work Once on the road, Sean and Daniel encounter a friendly left-wing podcaster who warns them that “everything is political.” Perhaps. But here some subtlety would have been appropriate

This game is very disappointing to me. Loved the first season and really don’t like this one. Too many political themes in this for my liking. Yes, there was some in LiS1, but there was also player choice on how you wanted to handle it so it didn’t feel like you were being driven by some political narrative. This time though, your not given the choice really.

There was many ways they could have handled things in this game and not make it feel like it’s agenda driven, but they chose to not go that route.

here is one more quote form games radar who liked the game a lot, but it points to why I wont play it

There’s one encounter at a gas station that feels excessive to the point of parody, and it’s here where LiS2’s system of choice falls apart most noticeably. Accused of stealing, Sean is never given the option to prove his innocence quietly - you can either aggressively confront your accuser or guiltily attempt to avoid the confrontation. Whatever you choose, the outcome is the same. The creators seemingly wanted to make a comment on rural America, and its attitudes towards immigration and race relations - but the way the game gets you there feels a little artificial.

this next view point is from a user review from steam.

The reason people may have an issue with it is because in the original game you could deal with sexuality issue or not it was up to you; you could just be friends. Same with the euthanasia issue you could just ignore it and not do it. In this game there is no balanced view or choice for you to make - you are just a minority confronted with example after example of how racist people are in general - there is no avoiding it or possibility of mitigating it like there was in the 1st game. When you steal something or not it’s still the same result you get tied up in the back room.

That’s the difference between the 2 games - it’s not the fact that there’s racism in the game it’s the fact that it’s only presenting one side and you have no freedom of choice like you did before

See to me that shows there is no “real” choice whatsoever, what I mean is the clerk and sean cant come to a peaceful resolution where both sides come out looking ok. the clerk is just a white racist, and why the game devs couldnt bother to explain other than bc he is from a “rural” area lol. I have traveled far and wide and big cities is where I have found the most racism, different groups segregate themselves off by blocks and neighborhoods, most “rural” people are poor and just trying to survive and make a living on all sides black or white.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top