• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The age of VR is starting

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1283045&page=1

SHIT hit the fan.
Oculus or Palmer is a cornered fox now.
Vive vs PsVr….?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Completely inconsequential and the behaviour of the posters in that thread truly disgusts me.

The Oculus’s bigger problem is its resolution from what I’ve tried. The Vive was always more interesting.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

PS VR kiosks and demo units have arrived here.
Tried many only Farpoint stood out.
Batman was cool too.
I think TTG type experiences could do a lot better, playing Bruce in first person and doing investigations.

It reminded me some old arcade car and pilot games where the unit is closed and you are surrounded by screens allover.
Cool tech for 150$, anything more is a ripoff.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I received an email of a demo unit available for only 1 day at a place far from my place… No way I was going, I hope they get show it in other places.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

[spoiler]

PlayStation VR falls under the same argument that has plagued the ongoing war of PC gaming versus console gaming for years.
For the console-exclusive gamers looking to enter the realm of virtual reality, PlayStation VR gets the job done. You can enter virtual worlds, get a sense that you’re really there, and have new interactive gaming experiences unlike anything you’ve seen before on consoles. You just might have a little bit of a headache as a result.

First of all, extended gameplay sessions in VR could ultimately prove unsettling on your wellbeing. As relatively inexpensive as it is, will you get the same return from PSVR as a conventional console platform if you’re fundamentally limited by the time you can spend

But the scarce number of good games available today, combined with the fatigue you will experience after 30 minutes of game play, may drive you back to gaming on your smartphone or television screen

It’s a lot of money – you could buy a console and a bunch of good games for the same price – and you need to accept that this isn’t the future of video games. It’s a new direction, and an interesting one, for sure. But it’s not going to replace your console and TV set-up anytime in the next 10 years

Reviews are out,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1289339

Lets see the consumer response…

Some games reviews

Batman is 7 too

https://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-vr-389807.phtml

Others

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=219127844

I dont know if it can kill stream culture which is mostly about long games and random idle talk

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Giant bomb comprehensive breakdown, all demos , games and ergonomics

Its a stinker…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ll wait for Vive 2 Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 October 2016 12:59 PM

I’ll wait for Vive 2 Smile

I think major issue as i said before are 3 main ones,

Health
Price
Software

Even passing 1st 2 there have to be killer apps.
20$ for one game is a ripoff.

I have finished Batman already on my 2nd visit to shop.
People are in line to finish it.

Battlezone was cool and fun but when you get hit by enemy fire, screen shakes and your body face eyes dont, which made me throw up quickly. Same issues in Eve and Rigs.

Will try Rez and others soon.
Rez and Heretheylie are not vr only so will get it anyway.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

We felt it in the first race, that strange feeling of a wave rising from our belly and settling in our throat. Initially we thought maybe it was just tiredness, but a good night’s sleep later and several races in we felt it again. Far more strongly this time.

Around five minutes later, mid-race, we were ripping the PS VR from our face and sprinting to the bathroom to hurl. Yes, Driveclub VR really is a vomit comet.

Never before have we actually thrown up playing VR, even back in the Oculus Rift DK1 days - although there was that time playing Dying Light on a DK1 where we got extremely close.

And it’s not an isolated incident. Not only were our pals positively nauseous after a race each, we’ve heard of other brave journalists circling the toilet rim, even if they didn’t physically vomit.

In fact, we know many who have downright refused to play it after one race due to the nausea. Take it from us, it doesn’t get any better in the later levels (as we stupidly returned to the game to find out after many hours when the room had stopped rotating).

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a810513/driveclub-vr-review-a-vomit-comet/

Sick

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

i honestly just dont see the draw.  in the 90s i really wanted vr i was dying for it and then it never happened. now? im just like, ehh…whats the point?  i really kind of hate first person perspective so the idea of being fully *immersed* in a first person game just does not interest me.  ill just wait for holodecks.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

nomadsoul - 06 October 2016 03:35 AM

I think major issue as i said before are 3 main ones,

Health
Price
Software

Since you seem to be drawn to and inspired by new technology, what about VR? Shadow Of The Colossus would be pretty amazing on PSVR.

If I were to release Shadow Of The Colossus for PSVR, I would feel a responsibility to create something that goes beyond the expectations of the fan base. It wouldn’t be enough to just make a game where you’re standing at the feet of a colossus. My biggest concern for a Shadow VR game is that it would be a first-person perspective and the biggest problem with VR, I’ve heard, seems to be that the motion makes people feel sick. So I don’t know if it would really be a good match. I don’t have the confidence that we’d be able to overcome that problem. Another problem with VR is that the market is not too big yet. On one side, as a creative medium, I’m interested in creating something for VR, but I also have the responsibility to make sure that it makes business sense for us to take on the project. So, in that sense, I haven’t found the right balance or realistic solution to make it happen.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I hoped VR wouldn’t blow up once it got released. Happy to see that it hasn’t turned out to be the case.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

VR is actually doing great.
Some of the best games are getting released right now (we are finally leaving “tech demos” phase) and the best ones are still coming in 2017.
As far as good games on Vive goes, motion sickness is solved. Motion sickness is now caused by bad game design, not tech.
All Vive, Rift and PSVR are selling good enough (considering price and early days of VR) and GearVR is actually doing great.

All the biggest companies are all investing in VR and AR (or MR), big time. Including Apple.

So, I don’t know where this smirking pessimism is coming from.
I still stand by my comment 6 months ago: VR experience is here, but tech must mature. Form factor must go down to the size & weight of glasses, resolution must go up and price must go down.

It will happen sooner than latter.

Considering it’s early days for VR, it’s already freaking impressive.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Carmack was indeed a thief

“In addition to expert testimony finding both literal and non-literal copying, Oculus programmers themselves admitted using Zenimax’s copyrighted code (one saying he cut and pasted it into the Oculus SDK), and [Oculus VR co-founder] Brendan Iribe, in writing, requested a license for the ‘source code shared by Carmack’ they needed for the Oculus Rift. Not surprisingly, the jury found Zenimax code copyrights were infringed. The Oculus Rift was built on a foundation of Zenimax technology.”

“As for the denial of wiping, the Court’s independent expert found 92 percent of Carmack’s hard drive was wiped—all data was permanently destroyed, right after Carmack got notice of the lawsuit, and that his affidavit denying the wiping was false. Those are the hard facts.”

And RE7 VR is a hit
Capcom making more vr stuff

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The only company profiting from VR so far must be Zenimax Smile 500 million from that lawsuit! That’s a lot of money… RE7 bodes well for more big experiences on consoles. Probably need to VR compatible and not exclusive.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top