• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - Out on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 18 December 2014 04:07 PM

commit for the Kickstarter-demo and get hired if it succeeds!

This would be absolutely ideal. I hesitated at first, because the last thing I’d want us to be perceived as is scammers or just looking for freebies, but it ultimately makes sense that we’d take the risk together and hopefully succeed together. I’m at the moment taking off an imaginary top hat to you, sir, and all the people on here helping out with spot-on suggestions.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey everyone! Happy 2015, hope all’s well and you’re clicking your way through your favorite adventure rather than doing taxes ‘n stuff.

I’m back with two little updates on our development. First of all, the project’s name has been changed to Gibbous. HPL fans will appreciate it, the others will probably shrug it off and move on with their lives Laughing Chances are it’s the final game title, buuut you neeeever know.

Also wanted to share another gif with you - this one illustrates the unique animations that the characters will be doing throughout the game: Kitteh’s fetching something for you, so that means you’ve successfully battled your way through a dialogue puzzle… or that you’re now forever in debt to an antisocial feline with a short temper and a very good memory.

(Actual fetched item not pictured for non-spoilery purposes).

Alrightey, so that’s that for now, back to toiling on the demo!

Oh, and totally vote for Lucas Arts in the big AG showdown, like you KNOW YOU SHOULD!  Naughty

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Looks mouth-wateringly good, Underhill!

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Niiice… Smile

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thx guys! Happy to report that we’ve now completed 70% of character animation for the demo - we’re drawing/animating/programing during the day, and I’m writing dialogue at night. So when you tuck yourself in at night, think of the guy popping energy drink cans and filling screens with words and know that he DOES IT FOR YOU!

Tongue Don’t mind me, just excited for this game. Woohoo!

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Working hard on Gibbous. Thought I’d share a rough animation gif of one of the characters you’ll encounter in the demo.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m all for a new Cthulhu adventure - looks interesting so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Can I be a bit cheeky and ask what software you’re using for the artwork?

I only ask because I’m really interested in the “behind the scenes” sort of thing for games. The amount of work that goes into games is amazing and I’m loving the animation in this.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well, it took me like 3 seconds to fall in love with Kitteh.
Will be following this one.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thanks guys! It’s feedback like this that keeps us going Grin

Tad - 14 January 2015 08:41 AM

Can I be a bit cheeky and ask what software you’re using for the artwork?

I only ask because I’m really interested in the “behind the scenes” sort of thing for games. The amount of work that goes into games is amazing and I’m loving the animation in this.

No worries, I know what you mean - watching DF’s Broken Age documentary was last year’s highlight for me. Well, not that I’m comparing our game to theirs or anything Crazy

We’re using Toon Boom Harmony for the animation, and everything else is Photoshop; maybe going to spruce some stuff up in After Effects later.

Toon Boom is a great 2d animation software made by some very nice guys in Canada. We’ve been using it since 2012 and can’t get enough of it, it’s miles above stuff like Flash, etc. The process is pretty straightforward: we’re two artists working on this game (incidentally, me and my girlfriend). She’s on the time consuming stuff like walk cycles, pick up animations, talking, facial expressions etc while I’m handing the so called rares or uniques (stuff that you’ll only see once or a couple of times throughout the game).

Here’s a short breakdown of the process for one of our characters (this little guy appears over your shoulder whenever you do something, ahem, unethical:

Basically, in order to get a final frame by frame animation you have to draw everything three times, so we’ve got our work cut out for us alright Laughing

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Wow…that is a lot of work…

Thanks for the info though Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Lookin great, man! Keep up the awesome work. Definitely supporting this.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Much obliged, gentlemen!

If all goes well (meaning Sony Vegas doesn’t crap out on me as per usual), and since any kind of insight into game-making is fun for both parties,  I’ll soon be posting a sped up making of an animation I recorded this past Friday. Have a great weekend, everybody.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey guys! As promised, I’m back with some making-of type content.

Here’s a sped-up animation process video of an angel that’ll be making a short in-game appearance in Gibbous. Basically, she’ll pop up and give you a thumbs up whenever you make a good decision (ethically, that is).

This video is only illustrative of the rough part of the animation. Hopefully later this week I’ll upload the clean-up and color, too. It took roughly 4 hours to record, and it’s time-compressed and edited down to around 7 minutes.

I remembered I hope this’ll be an interesting insight into how animations are crafted. Thanks Tad for expressing curiosity about how art stuff gets done and giving me the idea to record the process Smile Enjoy.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2010-09-19

PM

Mr Underhill - 20 January 2015 04:31 AM

Basically, she’ll pop up and give you a thumbs up whenever you make a good decision (ethically, that is).

And this demon will encourage you whenever you make a bad decision? Wink So, it will be somewhat like Legend of Kyrandia 3, with multiple solutions to puzzles?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top