• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Offensive subject or content in games?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 28 April 2020 10:02 PM

LSL1; the sex scene with a hooker upstairs was censored with blackened bed size screen moving up n down with Larry’s sexual activities and movements, that was very very offensive, they should ve deleted the whole scene and paid respect for the players surely grasping what the obvious implication of what that screen is representing unless they ere taking use for fools which is far way offense if you ask me.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing No! -  You can’t be serious!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 28 April 2020 06:43 PM

In the case of Phantasmagoria, I think there were alternative ways to show our antagonist was whacko. Finding psychiatric files that confirm he had abused animals as a child, and that behavior escalated as he grew to adulthood would have been one way. Showing the pond full of mutilated pets was, to me, there for shock value. Nothing else. It didn’t explain anything.

I don’t remember that specific scene Tim (you do mean Phantasmagoria 1?) but non-the less there were a lot of gruesome scenes (in flashback) showing people actually being murdered in various ways & obviously quite shocking to observe.
Wasn’t a lot of the content in Phantasmagoria there for shock value?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Little Misfortune now and to have an eight year old go through in the game what she goes through involves content I find offensive. However, it does make the game humorous in a very dark way. Generally, if you could stomach Fran Bow, you can stomach this one as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 29 April 2020 06:10 AM
Advie - 28 April 2020 10:02 PM

LSL1; the sex scene with a hooker upstairs was censored with blackened bed size screen moving up n down with Larry’s sexual activities and movements, that was very very offensive, they should ve deleted the whole scene and paid respect for the players surely grasping what the obvious implication of what that screen is representing unless they ere taking use for fools which is far way offense if you ask me.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing No! -  You can’t be serious!

Laughing  Laughing  Wink

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 29 April 2020 06:19 AM
rtrooney - 28 April 2020 06:43 PM

In the case of Phantasmagoria, I think there were alternative ways to show our antagonist was whacko. Finding psychiatric files that confirm he had abused animals as a child, and that behavior escalated as he grew to adulthood would have been one way. Showing the pond full of mutilated pets was, to me, there for shock value. Nothing else. It didn’t explain anything.

I don’t remember that specific scene Tim (you do mean Phantasmagoria 1?) but non-the less there were a lot of gruesome scenes (in flashback) showing people actually being murdered in various ways & obviously quite shocking to observe.
Wasn’t a lot of the content in Phantasmagoria there for shock value?

Correct. The first Phantasmagoria. There was also a lot of discussion regarding the supposed rape scene. It didn’t bother me because it was so over the top that it lost whatever shock value it was supposed to have.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

It was banned in Australia and Germany, so it must have done something right Smile

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Donuts McGee - 29 April 2020 06:01 PM

It was banned in Australia and Germany, so it must have done something right Smile

To be fair, until recently every small thing got banned in Australia.  I heard they didn’t have Mature rated games for a really long time.

That’s similarly why I had brought up the nazi inclusions in “I have no Mouth, and I must Scream”

I heard that the German version took out Nimdok and his levels entirely to comply with laws that govern the depiction of nazis in media.  I can’t confirm this, I don’t have the German version, but based on other censorship around nazis it makes sense.  Also, don’t forget, you cannot get the good ending of this game without nimdok so…

I mean you in fact have to help joseph mengele, and steal prisoners eyes to solve a puzzle

Persona just gave Hitler sunglasses… As we all know, Hitler with sunglasses is far less offensive than Hitler with no sunglasses at all.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Little Misfortune. I have to admit, I really loved this game. This one had VA which was an improvement over Fran Bow.

However, the I have to admit, the dark humor and foul language did make me laugh more than a few times. I can see where potentially offensive content can add to a game. For this game, if you removed the offensive content it would lose a lot of its charm.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

The Deponia games all have gratuitous animal cruelty, and some human cruelty as well, in the name of humour I guess.
I stopped playing Edna and Harvey in disgust an hour in after I had to kill two kids in a gruesome fashion (one eaten and one blown up).
And Broken Sword 5 left me with a really bad taste after a dialog at the very end involving a goat.

In all these instances, for me writers have been confusing dark humour with bad taste.

Otherwise, nothing comes to mind, and I do like to see AGs delving into dark or controversial issues.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually enjoy the adventure games that have mature subject matter. I just finished The Detail, and it was full of very mature subject matter, from Hookers being tortured to death to violent graphic killings. For some genres, like cop and horror, there’s no getting around the fact that mature subject matter makes them more realistic.

Heart

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

Ninth - 30 May 2020 11:49 AM

I stopped playing Edna and Harvey in disgust an hour in after I had to kill two kids in a gruesome fashion (one eaten and one blown up).

I think that’s the sequel - harvey’s new eyes.

In all these instances, for me writers have been confusing dark humour with bad taste.

I’d call it dark taste Smile

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

namehaver - 01 June 2020 12:41 PM
Ninth - 30 May 2020 11:49 AM

I think that’s the sequel - harvey’s new eyes.

Absolutely.

I have to say, for the first 20 minutes I enjoyed the tone of the game, which kinda reminded me of shows like Pushing Daisies (or more recently a series of unfortunate event), but then… not anymore.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

The Samaritan Paradox has an unexpected ending that many people have complained about as needing a trigger warning.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I noticed a few people mention animal cruelty, one mention was more realistic i guess like phantasmagoria, one more cartoony like deponia.

My question to you guys is this:

Think of Weird Ed’s hamsters in Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle.

Do you find the events including the hamster to be funny, offensive, etc???

In Maniac Mansion I was shocked, but I did still laugh so… Maybe I’m just an awful person?  IDK it feels very looney tunes to me.

I would love to hear what you guys think and why!

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 06 June 2020 12:50 AM

I noticed a few people mention animal cruelty, one mention was more realistic i guess like phantasmagoria, one more cartoony like deponia.

My question to you guys is this:

Think of Weird Ed’s hamsters in Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle.

Do you find the events including the hamster to be funny, offensive, etc???

In Maniac Mansion I was shocked, but I did still laugh so… Maybe I’m just an awful person?  IDK it feels very looney tunes to me.

I would love to hear what you guys think and why!

You reminded me of this:

I’m sure I laughed, but I was also just a kid.

I don’t think I would find it amusing anymore, but who knows.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top