• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Zork graphical remake

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

An Australian games company has decided it would be a good idea to remake the Zork series of text adventures as fully 3D graphic adventures.

What do you think? Good idea or bad?
Did you play Zork or do text adventures put you off, and will you be encouraged to play this remake due to the pretty pictures?

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I’ve held off from playing a lot of the Zork games because they don’t seem quite as appealing to me as graphical adventures. That said, it kind of takes away from the original intent of the game. I’ll try to check these out, but they probably won’t be first in my backlog.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Grue22 - 14 September 2019 08:50 AM

An Australian games company has decided it would be a good idea to remake the Zork series of text adventures as fully 3D graphic adventures.

What do you think? Good idea or bad?
Did you play Zork or do text adventures put you off, and will you be encouraged to play this remake due to the pretty pictures?

I’ve attempted to play the Zork games (and other text adventures without graphics) but never got very far with them. I’ve never been able to imagine what a place looks like solely by being given a text description. I need some sort of picture as a starting point. Even the pixelated 16-color graphics in the early Sierra games were immeasurably better for me than no graphics at all.

So yes, I’d be interested in playing remakes of the Zork text-based games with graphics, as well as remakes of other Infocom text-based games that include graphics.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve tried to play several text adventure Zork titles, but always given up as I don’t find them that appealing games. What comes on playing them as graphics adventure, well, that depends on how they will play and look. Based on the images I’ve seen, the style they have now isn’t very appealing to me, so they better show some good gameplay if they want to make a sale.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

tomimt - 14 September 2019 11:10 AM

I’ve tried to play several text adventure Zork titles, but always given up as I don’t find them that appealing games. What comes on playing them as graphics adventure, well, that depends on how they will play and look. Based on the images I’ve seen, the style they have now isn’t very appealing to me, so they better show some good gameplay if they want to make a sale.

They have said “these infocom remakes are practically exactly the same as the originals.”

...but I can’t be the only one wondering how that’s possible. How can you convey “it is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue” graphically?

Practically speaking, changing the interface from text to graphics changes everything.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The screenshot looks quite bad tbh, especially that rendered grass and flowers. I played the first Zork as well as Zork Zero (which pretty much sums up my experience with traditional IFs) long time ago and enjoyed them a lot. Of course, then I discovered Zork: Grand Inquisitor which featured this beauty:

So my standards are very high since Smile I wish the talented guys behind the last Zork returned to the universe…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Grue22 - 14 September 2019 11:29 AM

They have said “these infocom remakes are practically exactly the same as the originals.”

...but I can’t be the only one wondering how that’s possible.

I think that would be fairly easy to do. Have the player walk around, pick up objects, use them on things, make a thief appear randomly, copy the awful maze, etc. The hardest part would be to make the Remake just as unforgiving as the original.

How can you convey “it is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue” graphically?

Ah, but we know that grues have an “uncontrollable tendency to slaver and gurgle”. So a black screen with the gruesome sounds of slavering and gurgling will do the trick. Smile

Practically speaking, changing the interface from text to graphics changes everything.

No text jokes, no funny easter eggs. Worse, the house in the picture is not even white! So much for practically exactly the same as the original. I watched a 5 minute preview at youtube. Not impressed, it’s just walking around, no gameplay, you never get inside the house.

I much prefer what a youtuber did with his Animated Zork for about 15 minutes.

Look! Your sword is blowing glue!

You just walked into the slavering fangs of a grue…

Doom - 14 September 2019 12:04 PM

I wish the talented guys behind the last Zork returned to the universe…

YES! If only…
Zork Grand Inquisitor was a masterpiece.  Cool

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 14 September 2019 01:16 PM

Zork Grand Inquisitor was a masterpiece.  Cool

And I still haven’t played it. Confused

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 14 September 2019 01:45 PM

And I still haven’t played it. Confused

Which one?
Skip Zork and go straight to Zork Grand Inquisitor.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I try to restrain from quoting (there are SO MUCH unnecessary quotes around this place*), but for you I’ll make an exception: read my previous post again.
Press F5 if necessary.

*For instance: If I say “And I still haven’t played it.” (and that’s my whole post) you don’t have to quote that and ask: “Which one?” in the very next post (right after mine). We all know who you are talking to and what you’re referring to.

I used this for example because it’s the freshest stuff, it’s not nearly as drastic as what most of the people around here do.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Bad boy, Z!  ZGI is definitely a treasure and is permanently installed in my top ten.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I admit I’m a bad boy.

I’m saving Zork GI for the darkest of the dark moments, like when I get diagnosed with cancer or something like that.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You have your moments, but basically you’re an old softy. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

“Most cynics are really crushed romantics: they’ve been hurt, they’re sensitive, and their cynicism is a shell that’s protecting this tiny, dear part in them that’s still alive.”
—Jeff Bridges
Sarcastic

Excuse the off-topic, folks.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 14 September 2019 12:04 PM

The screenshot looks quite bad tbh, especially that rendered grass and flowers. I played the first Zork as well as Zork Zero (which pretty much sums up my experience with traditional IFs) long time ago and enjoyed them a lot. Of course, then I discovered Zork: Grand Inquisitor which featured this beauty:

So my standards are very high since Smile I wish the talented guys behind the last Zork returned to the universe…

And the sad thing is, you can very easily run something like the graphics of Zork GI in a modern realtime 3D engine without any sweat. Heck, you can go even higher fidelity if you want.

I don’t really see a reason for remaking the older Zork titles in realtime 3D, especially when the end result might look poorer than what the graphical presentations of the series managed to achieve back in the day. Here’s hoping their assets still are firmly placeholder.

Edit… I didn’t realize their first remake has already been released. And it seems to be selling at 13,99 euros. Nope.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

zobraks - 14 September 2019 01:54 PM

I’m saving Zork GI for the darkest of the dark moments, like when I get diagnosed with cancer or something like that.

That’s a fine choice.

tomimt - 14 September 2019 03:54 PM

I don’t really see a reason for remaking the older Zork titles in realtime 3D, especially when the end result might look poorer than what the graphical presentations of the series managed to achieve back in the day.

I could have see a reason if date was April 1,visuals made me laugh anyway,what a joke.
Zork Remake

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top