• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #63 – There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game.

I agree with Doom, and like him, my favourite chapter was also the 5th. As a huge Tim Burton fan - especially his earlier films like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands - I loved the references here, as well as the Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin references. Really cool concept.

And then the Game rap had me in stitches, and I completely lost it when GiGi’s Bond song started. Hilarious, heartbreaking AND beautiful, all in one!

As meta as the game was up until the fifth chapter, the final chapter turned that up to eleven. Grin
It made for an excellent conclusion to the plot, the love story and the game itself, but it still was one of the weaker chapters in the game, despite the zaniness.

I really loved the game, but I’m not entirely sure the ending was fully satisfying. Maybe it’s because the Game/GiGi love story only *really* gets introduced late on in the game, and that it’s pretty much resolved in the following chapter, and then the game is over...

A great game with a lot of original and interesting ideas, but maybe lacking a little more meat to be a true classic?

Still, I had a *great* time and had a LOT of laughs!

Solid 4/5!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I haven’t made much progress. Still on chapter two. I’m enjoying the game, and have every intention of finishing it. Very likely that won’t happen before it’s time to pull the plug on the thread. I know where to find it, so I will continue to post progress updates and comments as appropriate. Very busy time of year. First of my three medical procedures is this coming Friday, and I need to devote Tuesday to tests, covid and others. And Thursday is a fast day. (Let me say that I love to cook, and I love to eat what I cook. So a day of fasting is not a happy day.) I’ve had this procedure before, so I know I’ll be zonked for most of the rest of the day.

Hope everyone on my side of the pond had a great Thanksgiving. For those of you on the other side, we can all give thanks that 2020 will soon end. With vaccines on the horizon we can all hope that 2021 will be a far better year. Stay safe everyone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished chapters 3 and 4 and loved them thoroughly for different reasons. The zaniness and humor in this game really reminds me of the old days of Lucas Arts. Being a Legend of Zelda fan, chapter 3 felt like a beautiful homage to Link to the Past, the SNES Zelda game particularly. The fourth one left me in stitches especially when Link started walking. This one especially hits home. I spent a few years of my life working in the free 2 play market when it first started, and I am really not proud of that. It was a new market back then, and everything the game made fun of, our games did and then some. Loot boxes, clicking, flying coins when you click on things(we even coined the term doobers to describe them), energy, gems, we did it all. Some of the stuff these companies did was diabolical. Fun fact: some companies hired psychologists to try to understand players psyche and manipulate them into getting addicted and spending more money. Unfortunately, the free 2 play market has been adopted by the PC and console markets, and it plagues the gaming industry with its loot boxes and unbalanced design.

Some more fun video game references trivia for any game enthusiasts:
They should have called it “Legend of the Lemmings”, references Lemmings,the famous puzzle game.
-The alarm clock in the free2play shouting (listen, listen) references a very annoying fairy who was Link’s companion in the first 3D Legend of Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- The ad for Ninecraft is a reference to Minecraft, the famous crafting indie game. Game even makes fun of who would buy it, when Minecraft creator Markus Persson (known as Notch), sold his company Mojang to Microsoft for 2.5 billion dollars. He then went and bought a house in Beverley Hills for $70 millions dollars, at the time the highest amount payed for a house in the area.
- Supercold is a reference to the indie game Superhot. Superhot keeps repeating the words Super Hot after every level, and instead of an ice person, the enemies in the game are breakable but of a fiery red color.
- Please, paper is a reference to Lucas Pope’s Paper Please, in which the government employees ask you for your travel papers. (Not Toilet paper obviously Grin)
- RaPappa The Paper: is a reference to Parappa the Rapper, the Sony PS1 rapping game that is famous for its quirky raps, its over the top characters, and the art of its characters that looks like papers.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, i’ve finished the game.

Overall it was excellent. I think I’d have to say that it trailed off a bit in chapter 6, probably because, for me at least, The whole ‘love story’ thing didn’t really work for me. It wasn’t built up well or believable (ok, well, maybe that’s fair enough seeing as we’re talking about pieces of code!) and there wasn’t really an emotional pay off or feeling of a love lost and then gained. Maybe that’s nitpicking, but it seemed unnecessary to put it in. Or maybe it was just the one thing put in the game that wasn’t well done.

And the rest of the game is really well done. The way it opens the playing field up from the couple of screens at the beginning, through other games… outside the physical computer screen with Sherlock to tinker with scenery from the back, to completely leaving the game/computer etc. into the real world at the end.

The relationship between game and the user changed nicely too. At the beginning all the ‘focus’ is on the user and what you are doing. This shifts more onto the game and other characters until by the end the User is almost irrelevant to the story. Still playing the ‘non-game’ of course, but now just helping in someone else’s story. Brilliant.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I just solved my problem with the most expensive way possible. I bought a new laptop (it was about time). The game runs smoothly, no idea what the problem in my previous laptop was. I have tonnes of catchup to do ofc. Smile

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

Haha.I had the same problem when playing a certain scene on “ memoria “ a few years back
Ended up buying an alien pc gamer system that any youngster would be proud of.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the first 2 chapters and I have to say that I like that game a lot so far. Both the outside-of-the-box thinking, the humor and the relationship we have with The Game give me A LOT of The Stanley Parable vibes. And this is very, very good.

EDIT: I managed to finish the game in one big go.
It was not hard, but in this kind of games it doesn’t have to.

I enjoyed chapter 2 with Sherlock the most, with chapter 3 being a close second.
I found them the chapters with the best pacing, the best dialog and the best riddles.

Chapter 4 was a great parody but a bit tiresome after some point. Contrary to many people here I found chapter 5 the worst of all. It didn’t help the fact that the screen was constantly rolling and gave me a feeling of constant diziness! Also didn’t help the fact that it scared me for a sec that my saved file was indeed deleted! Angry

Chapter 6 was funny and it completed the 4th-wall breaking successfully IMO. THe interaction with the developer was a nice surprise and I liked both endings. There were goofy enough to fit the game’s general style. Smile

Not a big fan of the love story. I found it underdeveloped and a bit forced at some point. GiGi’s song was AWSOME though, one of the best parts in the game.

I liked Mr. Glitch as a villain! He had a nice sense of humor and I loved all the details of his secret plan to take over the world.  Tongue

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience! I would have loved to be more active on the playthrough, but my computer had other plans. Thank you Karlok for bringing this non-game to the table. It was certainly memorable.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I, also, just finished chapter 2. I found the dialog entertaining, but I found many of the puzzles tedious. It’s a phrase many who were followers/contributors to the Casual Games thread will find familiar. It’s when a solution to the puzzle is fairly obvious, but achieving the solution requires more effort than it should require. Say that you know the key you need to open a door requires solving a Hanoi Tower puzzle. But instead of facing a puzzle that can be solved in 20 step, you are facing a puzzle that requires 70 steps. The objective is the same, but the puzzle has gone from doable to tedious.

My legs were worn out from the amount of walking that was required. To paraphrase the late, great Sen. Everett Dirkson, senator of my home state of Illinois when discussing the national budget: “A $Million here, a $Million there, sooner or later it starts to add up to some real money.” So a step here and a step there, it soon adds up to some real frustration.

Procedure is Friday. Doubt I will be able to start the next two chapters until Sunday.

Borderline great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

rtrooney - 02 December 2020 06:55 PM

I, also, just finished chapter 2. I found the dialog entertaining, but I found many of the puzzles tedious. It’s a phrase many who were followers/contributors to the Casual Games thread will find familiar. It’s when a solution to the puzzle is fairly obvious, but achieving the solution requires more effort than it should require. Say that you know the key you need to open a door requires solving a Hanoi Tower puzzle. But instead of facing a puzzle that can be solved in 20 step, you are facing a puzzle that requires 70 steps. The objective is the same, but the puzzle has gone from doable to tedious.

Hi rtrooney, may I ask which puzzles you are referring to? I thought the game did really well at avoiding those situations. I am having trouble thinking of any puzzle in the game (aside from the action sequences in the final chapter) that wasn’t completed with a few mouse clicks. It was always the figuring out part that was the challenge.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just finished the game and truly loved every second of it. It’s the most fun I’ve had with an adventure game all year long, and probably takes my AG of the year award. These metagames are usually not my cup of tea, but this one was designed for someone like me. I think it was super funny (up there with LucasArts humor IMHO), and the gameplay was so unique and creative. The whole thing is oozing with charm and creativity. Like I mentioned earlier, my only complaint was that it was too easy. They should have had 2 difficulties like MI2, one for adventure lite fans and one for people who want to rack their brains, since many of the puzzles were spilled out for us.

I really liked the credits chapter and the real world one. I busted out laughing when the developer was chased by his vacuum cleaner. I hope the developer will build up on this one with a bigger sequel, or another adventure game. I’m definitely looking forward to their next title.
Thank you Karlok for suggesting this little gem, and leading it. It was a great playthrough Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

SoccerDude - 07 December 2020 01:51 AM

Thank you Karlok for suggesting this little gem, and leading it. It was a great playthrough Thumbs Up

I agree. Thank you Karlok, and everyone else!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I didn’t respond to your list of game references in 3 and 4, SoccerDude, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your efforts. Some of them were new to me and I looked them up. Like Superhot and RaPappa the Paper. So I’m hoping you have found some in 5 and 6 as well? The only one that stood out for me was Mortville Manor. I’ve been around long enough to remember this ancient adventure by the French company Lankhor. Mr Game made me laugh when his voice was muffled: “My lovely artificial voice is completely drowned out. Sounds like I should be doing the voice-over for Mortville Manor.” It had synthesized speech, which was very cool for 1986, but it does sound awful. See   here.

Speaking of voices, I listened to a French podcast interview with developer Pascal Cammisotto, who also voiced Game and Mr Glitch. He doesn’t sound at all like them, so I assume his voice was indeed artificially changed or distorted?? I have to disappoint people who are hoping for a sequel. Maybe some time in the future, but right now he’s tired of the 4th wall. He also talked about the lack of love stories in (adventure) games. I guess that’s true, I don’t remember much romance, apart from a quick kiss or a few sweet nothings at the end. Can’t say I missed it, but I enjoyed the love part in this game. Go for it, Mr Cammisotto! Here is the youtube link. The English subtitles are not bad.

I don’t have a preference for either 5 or 6. I enjoyed the puzzles in 5 and the story in 6. Both endings were good. And I don’t have a favorite chapter, only two least-favorite ones. Smile For me a solid 5-star game, tiny warts and all.

PS: I hope it wins one or more Aggies.  Cool

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 07 December 2020 10:30 AM

I didn’t respond to your list of game references in 3 and 4, SoccerDude, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your efforts. Some of them were new to me and I looked them up. Like Superhot and RaPappa the Paper. So I’m hoping you have found some in 5 and 6 as well?

I am glad you liked them Karlok. I am a big fan of gaming in general so gaming trivia is my forte. Smile There were quite a few references in the last two chapters.

In chapter 5
In the section where Game is a DJ, each of the mini games is inspired by a classic game. The block stacking one was a Tetris variant, the cat one was a Pac-man clone, and the old looking game with the stick figure jumping over the obstacles resembles the guy from the old Game and Watch games by Nintendo. For those unfamiliar with game and watch, they were these old handheld games back in the 80’s with each one containing one game and a watch/timer. They were the first handheld game systems ever made, and a precursor to the Gameboy, the Nintendo DS,  and the Switch. Interestingly, they were the first systems that introduced the D-Pad, which is a mainstay of every controller today. Some versions of the handheld also contained dual screens, which probably inspired the Nintendo DS/3DS systems. The titular character in the game was this stick figure person who was later referred to as Mr. Game and Watch.
Mr. Glitch remarks that there is no princess in this castle, which is a reference to the Super Mario Bros games, where Mario is told after every level :” Thank You Mario, But Our Princess is in Another Castle”. This phrase is so popular in gaming culture, it became a meme https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/but-our-princess-is-in-another-castle .
Game also refers to Rusty Lake, the excellent adventure game series on Steam. I believe there are three games in the series. I only played the first one and really loved it and highly recommend playing it. Still need to play the other two. All three games are on Steam and are very cheap.
In Chapter 6, the bomb is from the game Minesweeper that came free with older Windows like Windows 95 and 98. The arcade space shooter game is not any game in particular as far as I can tell, but it plays like many old school top down space ship shooters like Raiden or River Rade.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Other references:

In chapter 1: Game slaps a hand-written error note on the screen (right before we get to the Flying Squirrel OS). The note reads: Error #4815162342, which is a reference to the series Lost.
In chapter 2: the scream that’s heard whenever you click the corpse (you also hear it on the TV at the end of the game) is a stock sound effect that’s been used in a LOT of films ever since the ‘50s. It’s known as the “Wilhelm Scream”. To drive the reference home: the man in chapter 2 is actually called Wilhelm in the game… Grin
In chapter 5: we have the obvious references to Tim Burton and Danny Elfman, including graphics that feel like they came from Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas, and snow FX that feel like from Edward Scissorhands. And then there’s the references to Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin (including clips from Chaplin’s Shoulder Arms and Keaton’s The Boat).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 08 December 2020 02:59 PM

Other references:

In chapter 1: Game slaps a hand-written error note on the screen (right before we get to the Flying Squirrel OS). The note reads: Error #4815162342, which is a reference to the series Lost.
In chapter 2: the scream that’s heard whenever you click the corpse (you also hear it on the TV at the end of the game) is a stock sound effect that’s been used in a LOT of films ever since the ‘50s. It’s known as the “Wilhelm Scream”. To drive the reference home: the man in chapter 2 is actually called Wilhelm in the game… Grin
In chapter 5: we have the obvious references to Tim Burton and Danny Elfman, including graphics that feel like they came from Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas, and snow FX that feel like from Edward Scissorhands. And then there’s the references to Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin (including clips from Chaplin’s Shoulder Arms and Keaton’s The Boat).

These are awesome, thanks Tim. You are living up to the “movie” in your user name. I didn’t know about the “Wilhelm Scream” and though I was a huge Lost fan, I completely didn’t notice the number was the infamous sequence from Lost. It’s harder to decipher when it is written like that without spaces.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top