• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #59 - Tormentum: Dark Sorrow

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome to the strange and frightening world of

You, as the unnamed protagonist, awaken on your way to a hellish place to be tortured for a crime you don’t remember committing.  You know you want to escape, but other than a vague image in your mind that may or may not be real, you will have to rely on your wits and the advice of those you encounter in this nightmarish land.

This is not a long game compared to many other adventures, and it’s fairly linear.  You have inventory to carry and other types of puzzles to solve.  The dialogue is written, not spoken, but the music and sound effects create a suitably edgy feeling. 

I’ve divided up the game into 3 sections.  Let’s allow a week for the first and longest section, which will bring us to Tues., May 26.  Of course that time period can be adjusted as we see how everyone progresses. 

As soon as you’re ready, play the introduction and begin your journey through this world of sorrow.  Stop when you finally open the large gate with the 3-part lock.

As we get nearer to the end of the first section, I’ll post some questions for you to consider.  In the meantime, to quote the knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, “You must choose, but choose wisely.”

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Great, a new playthrough! The game won fair and square. Just to be sure,

Lady Kestrel - 19 May 2020 01:48 AM

Stop when you finally open the large gate with the 3-part lock.

Did you mean the gate that requires three crystals to open, with a hooded man and a Cerberus playing nearby? I played up to this point in one sit. The game is surprisingly easy and straightforward, I expected something trickier with a puzzle-based gameplay, similar to, well, Keepsake (although I don’t like it). In fact it feels like a casual game with a bit more freedom. And so does the aesthetics, i.m. the artwork is beautiful and the atmosphere is all there, but the whole thing feels like “Giger light”, with it’s dark themes it is never disturbing. The scene with a knight torturing some fellow actually cracked me up, didn’t even want to kill the guy. In fact all the choices are also obvious: either save or kill, it’s no Tex Murphy for sure. There is not much plot to speak of, but I think I already know where it is heading to. Hopefully it expends on the universe and on the puzzles.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

By the way, if you don’t already own it, Tormentum is currently on sale at the Humble Bundle store for $4.79.  It’s also available from GOG, Steam, and the Mac Game Store.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That was quick, Doom, and yes, you are at the stopping point.  I’m not sure if anyone else is playing yet, so I’d like to keep the discussion of specifics at bay until the others reach the end of this section. 

I do like the creepy art in the game.  Much of it reminds me of Giger’s art from the Dark Seed games.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I am curious about humble bundle because I’ve never used it before.  Is the humble bundle copy DRM free like GOG, or is it in a launcher where I can later turn off online verification like steam or something?

The gog copy isn’t that expensive, so no sweat.  I just was curious. 

Speaking of the Dark Seed, I love that art style (of course), but I’ve heard some of design was punishing, so I’ve avoided playing it.  Maybe this will scratch that itch.

When you said the first section was “the longest” does that mean like a couple hours?  What should I plan for?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Celebreon - 19 May 2020 11:31 AM

I am curious about humble bundle because I’ve never used it before.  Is the humble bundle copy DRM free like GOG, or is it in a launcher where I can later turn off online verification like steam or something?

Humble games may or may not have DRM-free versions but in the case of Tormentum there is a DRM-free, Steam-free version.
Look for the DRM-free icon at
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tormentum-dark-sorrow
It’s on the left side of the page, under where it says “PLATFORM” under the video.

The DRM-free games from Humble are a direct download through your web browser.
You can re-download the game as long as you log into your Humble account first.
They give you a Steam version in addition to the DRM-free option.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Celebreon - 19 May 2020 11:31 AM

When you said the first section was “the longest” does that mean like a couple hours?  What should I plan for?

Time is hard to estimate because it depends on how easily you solve the puzzles and figure out what to do next.  None of the puzzles are very difficult, but there are a couple that require some persistence to solve.  When I originally played the game, I had missed an item I needed, missed finding a room for a while, and spent quite a bit of time with one of the puzzles.  I probably spent 3-4 hours on this section, but then I usually take my time when playing.  I like to wander and poke my nose in all the nooks and crannies.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

oh Thanks for the heads up!

When I ask that question, I always double the answer when predicting for myself because for whatever reason, I’m particularly slow.

Games like Limbo, inside, Journey, flower, Brothers, etc which everyone typically says “Oh I’ beat that game in 2-4 hours.”  And for everyone of them I played at least 6-8 hours just to find the end and get credits

I don’t know why I’m particularly slow, but it applies to everything, reading, writing, interpreting, gaming, adventure gaming.

I had read one review say the game in full was 3-4 hours in length, but I trust that I will be much closer to 2-3 hours for just this first checkpoint. 

Buying it now, and I’ll test it to make sure it works tonight or tomorrow.

Honestly before I looked it up for voting, I thought you guys were talking about planescape torment.  That’s a different thing altogether!  I’m kinda silly like that sometimes >.>

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached the stopping point - I wasn’t overly sure where that would be but it’s obvious when you get there & you confront a large gate….....................you’ll know when you get there - yes!
If you don’t know you haven’t got there yet! 

Celebreon, it took me 2 hours to get to that point but I was impatient so could quite easily have spent quite a little more time looking around as it’s very easy to miss just a few things that you need if you’re a little sloppy exploring & have to back-track.

On the subject of graphics I find them interesting (along with the work of Giger & see the influence) but find them quite claustrophobic so not really representative of environments I like to immerse in usually within a game but I had an idea the game-play would be to my liking & yes it is ...good old point & click!!!!

The game so far truly isn’t difficult with a bit of perseverance but I would be hesitant Doom to compare it with a Casual game just on the basis that it’s easy?

There was an opportunity to make a choice within this section - I’m interested to see whether this makes a difference?....i.e. did I choose wisely?? 
Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The game does have casual influences, such as automatic drawing in the notebook and automatic saves.  In that way it reminds me of the Drawn games.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I hate single save autosaves.
After putting between 5 and 6 hours into the game I now have the option of either replaying the whole thing from the beginning or dropping out of the playthrough.

If I’d realized it was a single save autosave game I would not have bought it.

EDIT—

After having lunch I got over being mad at the game and gave it another try. It took a little over an hour to get back to where the save had fouled up. I’m now at the stopping point, assuming the gate in question is the one that took the 3 emeralds.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found out that I have this game on IOS so I’ll play along. First time thru the game it was far from being a favorite, but let’s see if a CPT changes my mind.

Anyway, I am at the checkpoint.

Plus for the game - graphics are pretty cool and twisted looking.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 21 May 2020 08:42 AM

The game so far truly isn’t difficult with a bit of perseverance but I would be hesitant Doom to compare it with a Casual game just on the basis that it’s easy?

It’s not only about the puzzles, the whole game feels like it - autosaves like Lady Kestrel mentioned, the flashy kind of animation, the protagonist who just stands still while we click around him, the highlighted hotspots… And no depth to the characters who only need something from us. It’s basically a collection of independent puzzles with some bonus fetch quests.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It’s not only about the puzzles, the whole game feels like it - autosaves like Lady Kestrel mentioned, the flashy kind of animation, the protagonist who just stands still while we click around him, the highlighted hotspots… And no depth to the characters who only need something from us. It’s basically a collection of independent puzzles with some bonus fetch quests.

I could not agree more. However, I’ve bought the game and may as well play it. Who knows, maybe it will improve as we get further into the game. I bought it years ago thinking it was a horror adventure.

It did get the Aggie for Best Graphic Design: Tormentum: Dark Sorrow. So…..I’m hanging in there.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

crabapple - 21 May 2020 03:42 PM

I hate single save autosaves.
After putting between 5 and 6 hours into the game I now have the option of either replaying the whole thing from the beginning or dropping out of the playthrough.

If I’d realized it was a single save autosave game I would not have bought it.

EDIT—

After having lunch I got over being mad at the game and gave it another try. It took a little over an hour to get back to where the save had fouled up. I’m now at the stopping point, assuming the gate in question is the one that took the 3 emeralds.

Yes, you’re at the right spot, Crabapple.  What happened that made you have to go back to the beginning?

I’m glad you decided to give it another try, MK.  At least you and Doom won’t be tortured for too long. Wink

I think we should be able to move on to the next section much sooner than I anticipated.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I should be at the stopping point by tomorrow.

I know this game isn’t perfect, but I think it’s awesome!  Love the art style, and I don’t mind that the story and characters are not much expanded upon.  The environmental world-building is solid.  The puzzles seem really easy to me.  I did in fact get stuck this evening, but I imagine I will be unstuck very soon.

I like games where they have a mix of logic puzzles and inventory/object puzzles.  This does that pretty well, but I think there really needs to be an optional harder difficulty for both the logic and inventory puzzles.

Listen, I get stuck on plenty of adventure games for days and weeks.  This is not that experience, and I honestly don’t mind.

This game freaked me out pretty badly.  And really I think it’s scary.  I played it during the day, and I’m kind of apprehensive about continuing tonight.

My initial reaction was, “Am I old enough to play this game?!”  And then I remembered that I’m almost 30….

EDIT:  but yeah, needs save slots.  Come on.  Since you guys have mentioned “choice” or decision, maybe that is why?  So that the choice feels like it has more weight and permanence.  I miss you save slots.  Please come back.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top