• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Terrible Old Man - Available for free now on Steam!

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2013-09-25

PM

Hi guys,

We’ve just released The Terrible Old Man, our tiny H.P. Lovecraft point and click adaptation, onto Steam! It’s free!

Three men of loose virtue are enjoying a drink in a local tavern, when they overhear the story of a rich and feeble old man who lives in town. They soon plot to take his treasures…

This is a very short (and free) interactive adaptation of The Terrible Old Man, a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. The game was originally released back in 2015 - it was made in 30 days for the MAGS Gamejam competition.

This Steam re-release features additional graphics and content, new music and Steam achievements!

Features:
- An adaptation of the classic H.P. Lovecraft short story.
- Traditional point and click adventure interface.
- Unsettling hand drawn graphics and animation.
- Fully animated cut scenes.
- 640 x 360 widescreen resolution.
- HORROR!

Please do check it out, hope you enjoy it Smile

Cloak and Dagger Games: http://cadgames.co.uk

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Checked it out and enjoyed it. The atmosphere is on point. I’d go to a gallery showing done in this style (something to consider?:), makes me think of a mix of Otto Dix and Salvador Dali in some way. Thanks for the experience!

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I am boycotting this game and I encourage all forum users to do the same. For years old people have suffered under the tyranny of disparaging comments deriding us as ‘terrible’, ‘repulsive’, ‘smelly’ or just plain ‘bad’. Games like the above do not help with this perception.

To rectify the situation, I am developing a game entitled ‘The Awesome, Totally Amazing and Delightful Old Man’ (no link yet) which I hope will outsell that travesty.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Donuts McGee - 12 October 2019 10:00 PM

I am boycotting this game and I encourage all forum users to do the same. For years old people have suffered under the tyranny of disparaging comments deriding us as ‘terrible’, ‘repulsive’, ‘smelly’ or just plain ‘bad’. Games like the above do not help with this perception.

i cant really see the argument you are making here, this is an adaption of Lovecraft’s short story, which had been shown in very different ways thru centuries, last but not least Dont Breath, the movie.

The story is not made in a disrespect of elder people, instead its about showing what kinda fate awaits those younger wannabe-villains when getting into other (elder) people privacy (taken them lightly) whom afterall (would) turn out to psychos.

Its just another wicked* way from Lovecraft, showing the need to respect* elder people. it has a deep message, and its way different than your prejudicial argument ..

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2019-09-24

PM

I enjoyed this short game, but I really wanted to get caught inside the old man’s house and explore the rooms and see a bunch of creepy, weird stuff.

I’d love to play an extended (commercial?) version.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Advie - 13 October 2019 10:10 AM

i cant really see the argument you are making here, this is an adaption of Lovecraft’s short story, which had been shown in very different ways thru centuries, last but not least Dont Breath, the movie.

The story is not made in a disrespect of elder people, instead its about showing what kinda fate awaits those younger wannabe-villains when getting into other (elder) people privacy (taken them lightly) whom afterall (would) turn out to psychos.

Its just another wicked* way from Lovecraft, showing the need to respect* elder people. it has a deep message, and its way different than your prejudicial argument ..

That’s a very kind reading of Lovecraft. Personally, I don’t think his stories were about anything other than fear of everyone and everything. When you’re racked with anxiety and depression and a xenophobe, harmless old immigrants are a suitable target to be afraid of, along with pretty much everything else. Including the entire universe which invariable ends up being host to malevolent godlike beings from which our ignorance is an escape from.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Vehelon - 14 October 2019 02:11 AM
Advie - 13 October 2019 10:10 AM

That’s a very kind reading of Lovecraft.

Spot on. i really feel kinda naive having said that now.  Wink

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did actually play this game some time ago & I’m guessing Mr McGee that you haven’t played it? Otherwise you would know that in this particular game that sometimes people with those attitudes of old people just may not get away with them! Laughing 

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

chrissie - 16 October 2019 04:58 PM

I did actually play this game some time ago & I’m guessing Mr McGee that you haven’t played it? Otherwise you would know that in this particular game that sometimes people with those attitudes of old people just may not get away with them! Laughing 

I have not played it, BUT if it is the old man that is causing them to not get away with it, then it would seem the attitudes are spot on! No?

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

..... For years old people have suffered under the tyranny of disparaging comments deriding us as ‘terrible’, ‘repulsive’, ‘smelly’ or just plain ‘bad’......

Donuts McGee - 17 October 2019 04:59 AM
chrissie - 16 October 2019 04:58 PM

I have not played it, BUT if it is the old man that is causing them to not get away with it, then it would seem the attitudes are spot on! No?

The old man is perceived as being no more than feeble & rich. To say too much more would be a spoiler. The game’s free & very short so why not try for yourself?  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top