• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloserSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A surprise Laura Bow revival

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So apparently there is a new Laura Bow game in the works. Thoughts?

http://ninezyme.com/

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Wow, how weird. I’m curious whose companies owns the rights to what Sierra properties, seems like it’s all over the place now! (which isn’t a real problem, seems like the latest Leisure Suit Larry was good, the situation is just a bit weird)

I’m guessing they didn’t have to pay a lot for the licence though considering it’s not a very well known one.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

why do they bother, really.. its not gonna be more than a detective adventure with a Laura Bow tag on it, she has no background that could anyone build a story on. and all that with the assumption it sees the light.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do agree, that it is somewhat odd that for a developer to pay license fees for the use of Laura Bow, as while I like the games she was in, they hardly are among the best known Sierra titles. There’s really nothing about making a sleuth reporter game set in the 1920s asking to be a Laura Bow game as such.

And it just might be my internal cynic, but does the title Mechanical Codex sound like a name for a hidden object game more than anything else?

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Well, why not. Maybe it’ll be good. I definitely like the character art - here’s some more:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Ya6ZDY

Admittedly the look is a bit “chibi” (whatever the Western equivalent of that is) and that makes me vaguely skeptical on how “serious” the game will be, but a good mystery is always appreciated.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 09 October 2019 01:03 PM

I do agree, that it is somewhat odd that for a developer to pay license fees for the use of Laura Bow, as while I like the games she was in, they hardly are among the best known Sierra titles. There’s really nothing about making a sleuth reporter game set in the 1920s asking to be a Laura Bow game as such.

Clearly it is a move to gain some additional publicity, and so far it seems to be a brilliant move, because we wouldn’t be having this thread if it was a completely new protagonist by an unknown developer. The same happened with those young German developers who made that new Leisure Suit Larry.

There is some Laura Bow fanbase out there, some even consider those games best by Sierra. Whether that Sierra connection can be turned into profit is another matter, Leisure Suit Larry and Gabriel Knight remakes weren’t exactly gold mines (AFAIK) and they even involved the original creators in some capacity.

tomimt - 09 October 2019 01:03 PM

And it just might be my internal cynic, but does the title Mechanical Codex sound like a name for a hidden object game more than anything else?

Yeah, sounds like it could be some weird steampunk mystery hidden object casual thing.  Meh And that character design on their site, if that’s what they are going on with, is completely wrong if anyone asks me. But again, history seems to be repeating itself here, there were many who didn’t like the new Larry design either…

Anyway, “mechanical codex” can be many things. For all we know, it can be some secret Nazi codex making the game a real thriller in pre-WWII environment. I do agree with you though that it seems different from what the Laura Bow games were before thematically in any case, so we shall see what happens.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The current art direction has an air of being aimed more towards children, or teens, rather than people expecting a bit more “mature” murder mystery.

But we’ll see. Considering there’s very little actual info about the game, I do try not to judge this too harshly yet.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Advie - 09 October 2019 07:23 AM

why do they bother, really.. its not gonna be more than a detective adventure with a Laura Bow tag on it, she has no background that could anyone build a story on. and all that with the assumption it sees the light.

It’s all about the name. A game about an anonymous 20s/30s female detective might sell a few copies, but a game about Laura Bow is guaranteed to sell much more.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Grue22 - 09 October 2019 03:23 PM

A game about an anonymous 20s/30s female detective might sell a few copies, but a game about Laura Bow is guaranteed to sell much more.

Not necessarily. Laura bow never was among the better-known brands of Sierra’s, so if this piece of gaming news is picked up by other gaming venues, I’d imagine a good many “never heard of this”-comments. Laura Bow is hardly Larry in terms of how well her character is known these days. I’d say there’s even more sense in licensing Police Quest than Laura Bow.

but in any case, I do have faith this turns out to be better than those Gold Rush! games.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I hope they know what they are doing. It’s easy to disappoint Laura Bow fans: remove bloody murders, deaths around every corner, searching corpses in close-ups and poking them in their eyes - and it’s not authentic.

Edit: They don’t own the ip after all, nor the rights to develop a Lura Bow game. Currently they are only trying to impress Activision bosses with a demo. Good luck then…

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ah, so this is a cart before the horse situation.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Well, that’s easy then. Just add an arc where Laura praises Communist-Marxism and condemns any sort of protests against governments. I’ve heard Act-Bliz is into that sort of thing these days Wink

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Meet Laura Bow in her most exiting adventure yet when she is uprooting the rotten core of capitalism for the glory of the communist party and the people.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I knew we should have suspected something, what with her red hair and all. Don’t trust redheads!!

Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like what I see so far, could be an excellent game. Worth keeping an eye on.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top