• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoIronCretinJdawg445TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #53 Whispers of a Machine

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

“A few generations from now, the world has regressed to a pre-industrialization state. Mankind opted to discontinue all use of advanced robotics and artificially intelligent computers in fear of the potentially catastrophic emergence of a self-aware, super intelligent AI-entity. This caused a worldwide technological collapse. Into this world steps Vera, a federal homicide detective sent to the rural outpost Nordsund to investigate a string of murders. Vera will soon discover that the victims and their murderers are factions in a war about technology and religion. While some want to awake the AI-god, seen as a last deity in a godless world, others are vehement technophobes. Did the government have an ulterior motive in sending Vera to Nordsund?”

Welcome to the CPT of WOAM. If like me, you loved Kathy Rain then you are in for a treat!

Take a week to boot the game and make sure it runs. Play a little of the intro too, then stop and post your opinions of the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I loved Kathy Rain and am very much looking forward to this playthrough. Will hopefully have time this evening to play some of the introduction.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Psyched about this! Will hang out in the thread, feel free to AMA as you play along Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Game runs as it should. Graphics look good, voice acting sounds great. A lot more tutorial than I’d have figured (and I’ve probably only scratched the surface).
Main character looks sad. I’m hoping for hidden depths. Smile

How different is the game when you’re picking one of the other styles (there’s empathetic, analytical, and assertive), and is there any merit in staying relatively balanced (or are there only downsides to that, like in most games)?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

TimovieMan - 27 May 2019 01:45 PM

How different is the game when you’re picking one of the other styles (there’s empathetic, analytical, and assertive), and is there any merit in staying relatively balanced (or are there only downsides to that, like in most games)?

The game is quite different in terms of gameplay, as you will unlock different augs which give you different tools to solve problems. There are many multiple puzzle solutions to adhere to this. The story beats remain largely the same (with some lesser variations), but there are other choices de-coupled from the personalities that affect the narrative in a more substantial way.

I wouldn’t recommend making a conscious effort to stay neutral, as the game will simply select whichever personality happens to be the highest, so your augs will likely end up quite random if your choices are evenly distributed like that. We considered rewarding neutral playthroughs early on in the development, but opted not to, since only a minority of players would play that way and we would rather put our resources on fleshing out the three main paths.

So to conclude, I would urge you all to either go with the flow and make each choice on a case by case basis (which will likely organically make you lean toward a particular personality), or decide what personality you feel resonates the most with you and the Vera you would like to see portrayed and make consistent choices based on that. Smile

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have now played around with the game a little and have probably done everything that is possible to achieve without leaving the first room.

My first impression is that the augmentation mechanic has potential for some great variations in puzzles.

Being somewhat of a completist, I suspect I will have to play through this game three times to see the different paths. It is however good to know that the main story arc will remain the same.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Knowing myself, and if the choices are empathetic, analytical and assertive, I’ll probably be about 70% analytical, 25% empathetic and 5% assertive then. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the Kathy Rain AGCPT and enjoyed it thoroughly. While this game doesn’t seem to be anything like it, I think I will join the PT. Good thing that MK gave us a week, because it will take that long to clear up some free time to get the game downloaded, installed and to get myself familiar with the mechanics.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Like many here I really enjoyed Kathy Rain so, not too surprisingly, bought WoaM a few days ago.
Unfortunately it means I’m going to have to ignore this CPT as I’d prefer to play it at my own speed for my first go at it Mini Frown
Just thought I’d share that in case any of you needed cheering up Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 27 May 2019 01:45 PM

Game runs as it should. Graphics look good, voice acting sounds great. A lot more tutorial than I’d have figured (and I’ve probably only scratched the surface).
Main character looks sad. I’m hoping for hidden depths. Smile

im already on day three as this is my second playthrough and im choosing different dialogue to get different augs. the story is basically the same, but your response to certain questions will open up different augments to vera, which will solve puzzles in different ways. on my second playthrough, im choosing the no non sense and I opened up a different aug than my first play through. This new aug made certain puzzles easier and other ones harder, bc I had to figure out a different way to solve the problem or puzzle.

This really is a great game and does choices far better than most triple A games

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Pegbiter - 27 May 2019 02:44 PM

I have now played around with the game a little and have probably done everything that is possible to achieve without leaving the first room.

My first impression is that the augmentation mechanic has potential for some great variations in puzzles.

Being somewhat of a completist, I suspect I will have to play through this game three times to see the different paths. It is however good to know that the main story arc will remain the same.

yes you will and if you like steam trophies there are a lot and a lot are hidden or you have to do very specific task at the right time to unlock them.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Jdawg445 - 28 May 2019 10:42 AM
Pegbiter - 27 May 2019 02:44 PM

yes you will and if you like steam trophies there are a lot and a lot are hidden or you have to do very specific task at the right time to unlock them.

Fortunately, my completism is not that bad. I am actually not at all interested in achievements and play the GOG version (without GOG Galaxy).

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 28 May 2019 06:14 AM

Like many her I really enjoyed Kathy Rain so, not too surprisingly, bought WoaM a few days ago.
Unfortunately it means I’m going to have to ignore this CPT as I’d prefer to play it at my own speed for my first go at it Mini Frown

I’m on the same page here which is why I didn’t vote for the game. I will though try & contribute to the thread.
Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Like many here I really enjoyed Kathy Rain so, not too surprisingly, bought WoaM a few days ago.
Unfortunately it means I’m going to have to ignore this CPT as I’d prefer to play it at my own speed for my first go at it.

I would love to still read your opinions on the game. Even if you finish the game way before us and just post your overall opinions on the game and it’s ending.

So, those want to play at their own pace, please do and post your opinions as you find time.

Lastly, the game has great replayability, there are many different ways to play and solve puzzles, even get different endings.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not exactly sure why people playing the game for the first time prefer to do it solo. But that’s obviously their choice. This is my first time playing the game, and am going the playthrough route. As was the case with Beneath a Steel Sky. And, for that matter, was the case with Kathy Rain.

Anyway, it’s downloaded. Hope to get a chance to play some of the intro tomorrow. Hope to be ready to start before we get our first set of instructions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

If I didn’t like Kathy rain, will I like this?
Or, to put it another way, has the writing and other aspects improved?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top