• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Another entertaining game! Fantastic world cup so far.
Huge respect for Suarez, a month after a surgery, and clearly still not well he gives it all and wins the game for Uruguay that doesn’t seem very fit.

Edit: Suarez crying in the interview… he really loves playing for his country

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, he spent an entire year demolishing English defences, so why wouldn’t he continue here, even if not 100%?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

It’s crazy that Urugay…an(?) guy who gets a knee to the head, he’s lying there completely out of it, carried off the field, but when the doctor orders a substitution he gets angry and just decides to run back to the game Gasp

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 19 June 2014 04:59 PM

Well, he spent an entire year demolishing English defences, so why wouldn’t he continue here, even if not 100%?

Smile true, and even with an assist from his teammate Gerrard in the second Uruguay goal

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 19 June 2014 05:06 PM

It’s crazy that Urugay…an(?) guy who gets a knee to the head, he’s lying there completely out of it, carried off the field, but when the doctor orders a substitution he gets angry and just decides to run back to the game Gasp

...and plays a good game afterwards, possibly with a concussion! Gasp
He should have been subbed whether he wanted to or not. Could have long term consequences for him…

Urugay…an(?)

Uruguayan Wink Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 19 June 2014 04:56 PM

Another entertaining game! Fantastic world cup so far.
Huge respect for Suarez, a month after a surgery, and clearly still not well he gives it all and wins the game for Uruguay that doesn’t seem very fit.

Edit: Suarez crying in the interview… he really loves playing for his country

Was rooting for Uruguay and for him, people are always overhyping Messi,Persie and Rooney while guys like Suarez always got overlooked, glad to see the man getting the credit he deserves.

Was shouting like anything on his goals. I so wanted overhyped England to lose.

Party time.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 05:23 PM

overhyped England

Overhyped??? They’re practically happy just to have qualified! There were no real expectations for them other than just trying to play good football no matter the result. And personally, I feel they’ve done just that…

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 19 June 2014 05:43 PM

overhyped England

Overhyped??? They’re practically happy just to have qualified! There were no real expectations for them other than just trying to play good football no matter the result. And personally, I feel they’ve done just that…

They played good soccer??? they had 60% possession in todays match and rooney scored a very simple goal (Gerrard,sterling were no show), everyone is saying they didn’t deliver, England and its league is way overhyped. Its all money game hiring best players from across the globe for League matches where your National team underperforms in Real World Cup.

I dont know what you found superb in their game, in this world cup they are as bad
as Spain.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Was rooting for Uruguay and for him, people are always overhyping Messi,Persie and Rooney while guys like Suarez always got overlooked, glad to see the man getting the credit he deserves.

Was shouting like anything on his goals. I so wanted overhyped England to lose.

Party time.

He definitely deserves to be a top contender for Ballon D’Or 2014 and probably will be if he moves to Real Madrid or something.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 06:02 PM

they had 60% possession in todays match

Which is an improvement over what it used to be with Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand, Cole and the rest of the slow, ugly players they used to have.

and rooney scored a very simple goal

Are you implying that Glen Johnson had nothing to do with it? Superb play by him, and a great assist. Rooney having a simple goal does not take away from the preliminary work. Also, don’t forget that Rooney (who is but a shade of who he was a decade ago) missed two GIANT chances in the match.

everyone is saying they didn’t deliver

Nobody in England was expecting a lot, and from the two very entertaining matches I’ve seen, England deserved two draws. Getting two losses is more bad luck than anything else.

England and its league is way overhyped. Its all money game hiring best players from across the globe for League matches where your National team underperforms in Real World Cup.

Yes, because that doesn’t happen in Spain (Real Madrid, anyone?), France (PSG, Monaco), Russia, the Middle East, Japan, etc.? Also, remind me again how the Spanish national team performed in this World Cup.

I dont know what you found superb in their game, in this world cup they are as bad
as Spain.

Compared to how they played just two years ago, this was a big step up. A lot faster, more combinations, less long balls, etc. More modern and with a younger squad that’s shown potential. Give them a couple of years to grow, they’ll be a LOT stronger at the European Championship.
As for Spain, compared to how they played just two years ago, this must have been the worst performance ever. Equating England to Spain here is shortchanging England. At least England has a team that can grow. Spain has a team that can only wither away further.

wilco - 19 June 2014 06:02 PM

He definitely deserves to be a top contender for Ballon D’Or 2014 and probably will be if he moves to Real Madrid or something.

Imo, he IS a top contender, but as long as Messi and Ronaldo keep their averages up, I don’t see anyone challenging them. Third place still open, though. Tongue
I don’t think a move to Real Madrid would improve matters. In fact, I’m fairly certain he’d score far less there. He’s at the perfect team for his style of play, imo.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

1. 60% and 1 simple goal ain’t efficient, a desperate man who was given chance again and again and scored FIRST time in Finals.

2. It would be embarrassing to miss that simple kick with no one to defend, yeah great assist but not as good as Cavani.

3. They didn’t deliver means they didn’t live upto their expectations.
Like Ronaldo (94million damn euros) , with full effort in RealMadrid and zero effort in World cup.

4. Saying two losses badluck is more like condescending tone towards winners.

5.Yes there is pattern everywhere in Club football, that was my point. All play like champs in Clubs and are complete dud in Worldcup, J-League> so much hype and today Japanese failed to score one single goal on hundred tries in penalty area.
Spain, England, Japan all duds.
Only Germans are standing tall next to Dutch.
France has yet to prove themselves.

I don’t care if Suarez or anyone gets his worth in MillionEuros, what matters when it comes to actual Performance for National team and National Fans, he delivers or not.
Ronaldo took too much heat from Portugal when he didn’t deliver for Portugal,
and was complete dud unlike Muller (compare Mullers worth against Ronaldo).

Perform when its needed without Money as motivational factor.

I am sure i will see Messi’s, Rooney’s or Ronaldo’s face in next FIFA game trailer or on the cover Tongue

Messi’s goal was superb, see how he performed when he was needed for his country.
But was it enough against nobody’s like Bosnia, who handed them victory by own goal.
That was badluck. If he is getting cover art he should be performing Muller’s
Hatrick. lol
Wink

Edit:

So if Italy loses or draws with CostaRica then Uruguay won’t make it to Quarters??

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Group D
Position Team Played Goal Difference Points
1 Costa Rica 1       2         3
2 Italy       1       1         3
3 Uruguay 2     -1         3
4 England 2     -2         0

Only way England can qualify is

Italy beats Costa Rica and Uruguay and then it England need to beat Costa Rica and overcome the goal difference.

i.e If italy wins 1-0 in both games then England would need to win by 2 goals.

If Costa Rica draws or wins then England are out, Ururaguay still have s hot of qualifying if they beat Italy.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 09:40 PM

1. 60% and 1 simple goal ain’t efficient, a desperate man who was given chance again and again and scored FIRST time in Finals.

Let me respond to that by quoting myself:

TimovieMan - 19 June 2014 04:11 PM

I just wish they didn’t insist on playing Wayne Rooney. There are better players in the squad, imo.

Wink
Gerrard’s the only player from England’s “old” squad that still deserves his spot on the team, imo.

2. It would be embarrassing to miss that simple kick with no one to defend, yeah great assist but not as good as Cavani.

But he didn’t miss. And I never said it was the best goal of the match, just that it’s the work by Johnson that gave Rooney an easy finish.

3. They didn’t deliver means they didn’t live upto their expectations.
Like Ronaldo (94million damn euros) , with full effort in RealMadrid and zero effort in World cup.

I think you’ll find that in England, there were NO expectations. So they couldn’t really fail to deliver. Tongue
And Ronaldo almost never performs for Portugal, and neither does Messi for Argentina. Or Hazard for Belgium. So? Different teams play to different player strenghts, and other players around you means another type of play. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t. If Portugal had an entire team as strong as Real Madrid, Ronaldo would perform better. Same goes for Argentina.
Hazard has no excuse. Grin

4. Saying two losses badluck is more like condescending tone towards winners.

Nah, I’m just saying that they deserved a point in both matches. Both matches were very close and could easily have gone either way.

Maybe they should give out points based on actual performance instead of results, so they’d still get some points for effort. And a boring draw like Iran-Nigeria (or Japan-Greece) could leave both teams pointless, while an exciting match like Brazil-Mexico could garner both teams two points or something. It’d help attractive attacking football. Grin

5.Yes there is pattern everywhere in Club football, that was my point. All play like champs in Clubs and are complete dud in Worldcup, J-League> so much hype and today Japanese failed to score one single goal on hundred tries in penalty area.
Spain, England, Japan all duds.
Only Germans are standing tall next to Dutch.
France has yet to prove themselves.

Only Germany is standing tall. The Dutch have only had 30 good minutes vs an insanely weak Spain, and 10 good minutes against Australia (where they could have easily lost).
But by that analogy, the Chilean competition should be the best in the world, since their team has lit up the tournament.
Just saying that you can’t compare national football with club football. It doesn’t work that way. Especially not since most clubs have more foreign players than domestic players.
I’m expecting a lot of France in two years, but not yet now. Let them grow a bit.
Same goes for England and that was my entire point. They haven’t performed overly well, but they’ve shown more potential than they have in a decade. I’m curious to see where they’ll stand in two years.

Perform when its needed without Money as motivational factor.

In today’s football world? It’s all about the money. How many players are out-of-contract and have not yet signed with a new club in the hopes of having a good World Cup and getting a bigger contract afterwards? Lots of them. They aren’t fully playing to perform for their country, they’re also playing for themselves.
Which is what I suspect Fellaini is doing as well. If Van Gaal can’t use him, he needs a transfer, and what better way to get one than give it his all on the tournament?

I am sure i will see Messi’s, Rooney’s or Ronaldo’s face in next FIFA game trailer or on the cover Tongue

Of course. Because they sell the most as well. Wink

Messi’s goal was superb, see how he performed when he was needed for his country.

Argentina was weak and slow, and Messi’s goal is more or less the only time he’s shown his quality in that match. We haven’t seen last year’s Messi yet, only this year’s Messi (who is not as impressive).
Plus his shot deviated slightly off a defender. I’m not sure it would even have gone in without that (keeper got very close).

But was it enough against nobody’s like Bosnia, who handed them victory by own goal.
That was badluck.

Bosnia have a great team, don’t underestimate them. If that own goal (which was horrible luck and couldn’t really be helped) doesn’t go in, it’d been a different match…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

England probably deserved more than 0 points in these two games, but both against Italy and Uruguay they conceded goals when it was them who should use the momentum. That’s probably the combination of both less experience&quality; and bad luck. If they leave the world cup now it’s because of a pair of game moments that turned against them, not because they were the inferior side. Hodgson made his side play some attacking, cheeky football, but still:

- There was place in this squad for Ashley Cole, IMO. Too much trust on Baines, who wasn’t bad, but still he played both games for 90 minutes by running forward and back, and wasn’t a real treat at the opponent’s half. A fresh, and experienced player like Cole could have been used as a sub in the second half.

- Another Ashley, Ashley Young had had a rise of his form last year, and I can see him giving more here than Ross Barkley. Simply, if Hodgson decided to play some fast, attacking football with high up the field pressure, it’s Young who should have been in the 23-man roster because of his pace. In combination with Sturridge, Rooney… I can see England hurting Uruguay and Italian defense quite more.

Of course, it’s easy now to name those who missed the squad now when England lost and blame it on the coach. But another thing - England was down in both matches, and there’s still a guy in the forward section (Lambert) they didn’t use as an option. Why calling him in the first place? (again, I think Jermaine Defoe would have been the better option). Also, I can understand to a point Hodgson for not wanting to play Gerrard-Lampard at the same time, but why not subbing Gerrard for Lampard if he’s not doing that well? I mean, give him the time to regroup himself and perhaps he’ll perform better in the next match. And midfield is exactly why England lost these two matches IMO - not because of Gerrard (he always gives his maximum) but because there just wasn’t enough of a chemistry, pace and quality to easily bring the ball in front of the opponent’s goal, once you’re building the game and not counter-attacking. Still, as I said, it’s more of a bad luck and few game-changing moments, because this squad (with few changes to it) had the strength to go to the semi-finals.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I have to say, as much as I don’t like English football, England has shown a lot more potential this time than in a long while - and while I am happy that so far England doesn’t seem to be going forward in the tournament, they certainly would’ve “deserved” some point(s) in these games. They never were the clearly worse team, were pretty much on equal grounds, and especially in the Uruguay match it was literally just bad luck they didn’t score more, like with the header that hit the bar. It could’ve easily gone either way in this match, and probably (even though I didn’t see it properly) also in the Italy match.

I’m also very happy to see people like Terry and Lampard gone Grin If only Gerrard would go too, but as much as I seriously dislike him, I have to admit he does deserve his place in the team.

But I’m happy it did go this way Wink Well, just as long as Italy qualifies forward Smile But I’m quite confident about that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top