• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The St. Christopher’s School Lockdown

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

nomadsoul - 01 October 2017 04:36 AM

5 years worth of scam

5 years? You’ve been here longer than that, surely Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

cyfoyjvx - 01 October 2017 09:58 AM
nomadsoul - 01 October 2017 04:36 AM

5 years worth of scam

5 years? You’ve been here longer than that, surely Wink

I didnt grab anyones money Wink

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

That’s both a completely obnoxious and obviously false statement. Clearly NOT a scam, what with them actually releasing the game, and it’s only been a little over four years since the Kickstarter even began, let alone the original target release date.

But yes, incredibly, ten thousand-odd euros didn’t allow for the quickest of turnarounds on what is a very ambitious indie game. Like many other developers, they went way over their overly-optimistic ETA by broadening the original scope of the game significantly. They’ve also been communicative with their backers (and I know, because I am one), and of course, they’re actually releasing the game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jackal - 01 October 2017 01:03 PM

That’s both a completely obnoxious and obviously false statement. Clearly NOT a scam, what with them actually releasing the game, and it’s only been a little over four years since the Kickstarter even began, let alone the original target release date.

But yes, incredibly, ten thousand-odd euros didn’t allow for the quickest of turnarounds on what is a very ambitious indie game. Like many other developers, they went way over their overly-optimistic ETA by broadening the original scope of the game significantly. They’ve also been communicative with their backers (and I know, because I am one), and of course, they’re actually releasing the game.

Scam as in trick or dupe, 4 years with limited updates aint as simple as only been for me atleast and definitely its not R* or Kojima game to be as ambitious
May i ask whats very ambitious you saw in the game?
I am a backer too
And i know some mods here are friends on facebook with Devs of the game and i am too Wink
So i dont put much stock in such arguments and frankly arguing with mods leads to same old road we have been before so i stop now

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Being a mod has nothing to do with anything, nor does being a friend with anyone. No developer deserves to be smeared as dishonest when they clearly are not. (In fact, no one does.)

There was no tricking or duping, and in no way was this EVER a scam. It just took longer than expected, like pretty much every game in existence.

As for its ambitions, it’s a much bigger game than was originally advertised. If they wanted to shovel some one-hour episode out to meet a deadline, they could have done that. The script is massive and there seems (though I haven’t played it through to entirely confirm) to be a whole lot more “game” here than there is in many (if not most) other new adventure releases these days. For a small indie team working with a shoestring budget, that is indeed ambitious.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve been intrigued by this game for a long time & as has already been said in a previous post due to be released on October 9th. From the footage, screenshots & description on Steam it does look impressive & well worth waiting for!

The St. Christopher’s School Lockdown

Does anyone know of any other outlets for the game though? I don’t mind using Steam but it’s not my 1st port of call to buy a game.  Smile

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

nomadsoul - 01 October 2017 02:19 PM
Jackal - 01 October 2017 01:03 PM

Scam as in trick or dupe, 4 years with limited updates aint as simple as only been for me atleast and definitely its not R* or Kojima game to be as ambitious
May i ask whats very ambitious you saw in the game?
I am a backer too
And i know some mods here are friends on facebook with Devs of the game and i am too Wink
So i dont put much stock in such arguments and frankly arguing with mods leads to same old road we have been before so i stop now

It’s no more a scam than a pizza being delivered 30 mins late.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

dumbeur - 01 October 2017 04:42 PM

It’s no more a scam than a pizza being delivered 30 mins late.

If delivery man wont reply to your calls and if customer will report then either he will be fired or retail outlet will have a bad rep

Now check the comments on KS page

More over you pay to delivery man on delivery

In this you are stakeholder which made the project possible no matter how small the amount is

Its not a game without KS

Devs have no previous game and have much more so called Brand loyalty to bank upon , lets say against Pizzahut or Dominos

Pizza outlet cannot say, Our product is delayed because we were busy in festivities

I think you should look at discourse on comments section of their KS page

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

A quick look at the comments reveals poor communication which is totally standard with nascent small business owners (and humans for that matter).  If I’ve missed something more egregious, please link me to it.

Nothing else you’ve mentioned comes close to (deservedly) being called a scam.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

dumbeur - 01 October 2017 08:58 PM

A quick look at the comments reveals poor communication which is totally standard with nascent small business owners (and humans for that matter).  If I’ve missed something more egregious, please link me to it.

Nothing else you’ve mentioned comes close to (deservedly) being called a scam.

What i said is not deserved and what they say is standard human affair?
I see where this is going
Let me tell you this, i made a deal with some Mod here not carry on counter arguments forever
So i just stop here, i know what will happen next

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

There’s nothing to argue anyway. Your statement is utter nonsense.

Only one fact matters: they’re delivering what they promised. MORE, even. That’s the exact opposite of a scam in every conceivable way. It’s not even debatable. Words have meanings.

A scam might be not releasing the game at all. Or not sending out physical rewards. Or releasing far less than advertised. Of course, to be a scam, those would still need to have been intended as a blatant deception rather than honest failure. A scam is a deliberate rip-off.

Did any of these things happen here? Of course not. So it took 34 months longer (for a bigger game) than they hoped. Big whoop. If St. Chris is a scam, then so is absolutely every single Kickstarter game so far, since I don’t recall even one that came in on deadline. Absurd.

Thank goodness indie developers are out there creating in spite of all the self-entitled whinging from the internet. Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

This is sadly the problem with public funded games/projects. The public get to see every little part of the development and that’s not a good thing as developing anything can be hell at times and the public have a tendancy to make everything hyperbole and appear like the project is going wrong or it’ll never be released.

Just look at Shenmue 3 for an example of the hyperbole in the gaming world right now. They release a trailer saying “work in progress” and yet people kick off about the lack of lip sync. They then release another clip showing them still working on the lip sync and people declare it awful. If they showed nothing, people would complain too. They can’t win.

I seem to remember reading an article not that long ago talking about how closed off devs are from the fans and that’s not because they want to be, but because they feel they need to due to the attitudes in gaming. It was completely right in my opinion.

That’s not to say developers are always clean mind. If anything, Kickstarter has shown how difficult it must be for publishers at times. They can sink money into a project only to see it fall flat or get asked for even more as the budget has gone before the game is really finished.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jackal - 02 October 2017 12:39 PM

Thank goodness indie developers are out there creating in spite of all the self-entitled whinging from the internet. Shifty Eyed

This applies to Indies without asking someones money
If backers have backed then they are stakeholders and thats a fact, and yes entitled

SG59 - 02 October 2017 01:51 PM

This is sadly the problem with public funded games/projects. The public get to see every little part of the development and that’s not a good thing as developing anything can be hell at times and the public have a tendancy to make everything hyperbole and appear like the project is going wrong or it’ll never be released

But some new Devs who havent made any game before, with no record is not comparable to Yu suzuki legendary status

And lets not talk about scope, Demo of The St. Christopher’s School Lockdown is hardly inspiring according to my standards

If it was at the level of KZ0 as new indie outfit effort then maybe but its below average looking

Edit
Yes its not a fact, its my opinion no matter how wrong it is
I am looking forward to success of this game on major outlets, for all supporters sake here disparaging me

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

If your opinion is that the word “scam” means something that has no factual basis in reality, you’re welcome to it. You’re not welcome to spread that lie by accusing developers of it here. 

Unless you’re claiming that the game will never be released and they’re STILL conning us, of course. In which case, we’ll see soon enough. If the game turns to vapour after all, I promise to come back here and eat crow. Will you do the same when we’re actually playing this “scam” of yours? (Rhetorical question; I really don’t care.)

What people are actually entitled to through Kickstarter has been argued here ad nauseam. The only thing worth repeating here is that anyone with two working brain cells knows that target release dates for a game are only estimates, not a guarantee, as we see with absolutely every game ever. And the smaller the team, the more subject to delay. And yet you can always count on the most toxic complainers to start making demands as soon as that date is passed.

As far as I’m concerned, this “scam” issue is done. You can come back and I-told-you-so if the game never arrives. Otherwise, I suggest you actually follow through on your claim this time and quit while you’re behind.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

Yu Suzuki is no doubt a big name in this industry, but he is just a man. It’s the team doing the work that takes time, skill and determination. All his name does is add weight to the idea the project is in safe hands just like Yooka-Laylee, Broken Age or that Castlevania clone does.

With this coming from a completely new developer, caution should always be at the forefront of people’s minds when giving them support. Having said that, like Jackal, no dev is immune to the techincal issues or things simply going wrong from time to time. Just be patience.

I find it quite concerning how quick people are to light their torches and grab their pitchforks in this industry. There’s nothing else out there quite like it and I find it quite sad to see the beast this industry has become. It’s getting so bad, I tend to just ignore the social media side of it all now and simply focus on what I’m interesting in.

These people spend years of their life crafting their skill in art, programming, sound, animation and so on and they can spend years on each project just to be told what they spent 2+ years on gets a 4/10 or destroyed by gamers because there’s one minor thing they don’t like in the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top