• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 28 October 2016

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hoosegow, old American west slang for “jail” taken from the Spanish juzgado, begins with you and companion Muddy in cahoots after your plans to blow up a tunnel and rob a train were apparently not as watertight as you thought. Your task? Escape your cell and hightail it out of there, of course - what else?

It’s a brief one-room comedy game with a lot of charm due to its comical, bumbling characters and heavy use of colorful slang from the old west - you can almost taste the tobacco spit, hear the sound of the honkeytonk piano and clinking whiskey glasses from the saloon across the street, and smell the distinctive tang of horse dung in the air. If that sounds like your can of beans, grab a glass of your best coffin varnish and saddle up for a darn fine escapade. You’d have to be loco not to.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

“Hoosegow”?
Apparently I’m not as well-versed in old slang as I thought… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m a low brow but I rock a little know how
No time for the piggies or the hoosegow

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away (1991)

I’d never heard of the word either, Timovieman. See how educational text adventures can be!  Tongue

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

That would sound perfect for another Text Adventure Playthrough… A nice short game after Anchorhead Smile

Thanks Oscar for starting Text Adventure Playthroughs here, it’s been great to discover those games.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Oscar, where/how did you play this game? I finally found it at jayisgames casual gameplay design competition page, but when trying to play it there in Flash only about 2/3 of the interactive screen would show up. I finally figured out I needed to play it online by toggling the Javascript radio button on the Hoosegow page.

By the way, there’s a lot of other cool looking games to play from that competition…check them all out at the link provided above.  Smile

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Mike the Wino - 29 October 2016 01:18 PM

Oscar, where/how did you play this game? I finally found it at jayisgames casual gameplay design competition page, but when trying to play it there in Flash only about 2/3 of the interactive screen would show up. I finally figured out I needed to play it online by toggling the Javascript radio button on the Hoosegow page.

By the way, there’s a lot of other cool looking games to play from that competition…check them all out at the link provided above.  Smile

The same jayisgames page has a link to the zblorb file (here) - you will need Frotz to open it and play the game.

giom - 29 October 2016 07:48 AM

That would sound perfect for another Text Adventure Playthrough… A nice short game after Anchorhead :)

Thanks Oscar for starting Text Adventure Playthroughs here, it’s been great to discover those games.

No problem. Sure we could do a playthrough. Or Luna suggested Lost Pig, another comedy game (which I haven’t played). I don’t mind, whatever people prefer.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like your description of the game, Oscar.  I remember the use of hoosegow in some of the Western tv shows from the mid 1950s and early 60s, such as Davy Crockett or the Lone Ranger.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 29 October 2016 06:40 PM

I like your description of the game, Oscar.  I remember the use of hoosegow in some of the Western tv shows from the mid 1950s and early 60s, such as Davy Crockett or the Lone Ranger.

Thanks Lady, I appreciate that! Smile

Considering the interest from people, I’ve decided to do both Hoosegow and Lost Pig playthroughs. Both are short, light and hopefully fun. See you there.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top