• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

It is time to move to Chapter 5

At last, we found a rumor of a place that may help our little wingless friend. Smile

Chapter 5 is my personal favorite. It has imho very logical inventory puzzles, very intriguing creatures and very interesting ways to deal with each one of them. It is also the hardest. Many inventory items that makes it easy to miss one or two. It is also quite big, so we will deal with it in two parts.

You will also meet one of the hardest riddles of the game, (aka the Gate puzzle) but nothing a seasoned adventurer can’t deal with.

You have until the 23rd of February to finish part a from Chapter 5 and enter the Copper Gate for the final part of the game.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

colpet - 14 February 2021 05:24 PM

I’m stuck trying to get the piece of chain from the wooden post. At least, I think that’s what I need to open the Copper Gate. All the ‘eyes’ are lit, and the lever has been oiled. I have a cup, necklace, cloth, ring, chisel, and papers. Frustratingly, the chisel doesn’t work to get the chain off. 

Your way of thinking is correct. I believe though you either missed a couple of items or you have a lit fireplace that can help you.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I’m not sure how my logic works compared to yours. I found this a most frustrating chapter.

Sefir - 16 February 2021 10:24 AM
colpet - 14 February 2021 05:24 PM

I’m stuck trying to get the piece of chain from the wooden post. At least, I think that’s what I need to open the Copper Gate. All the ‘eyes’ are lit, and the lever has been oiled. I have a cup, necklace, cloth, ring, chisel, and papers. Frustratingly, the chisel doesn’t work to get the chain off. 

Your way of thinking is correct. I believe though you either missed a couple of items or you have a lit fireplace that can help you.

I have lit the fireplace. I thought the least I could do was burn down the post to get the chain. Maybe I haven’t ‘tried’ all of the items on the fire? I honestly can’t remember, I’ll go back and see, though I think the only things that would work logically are the cup and the cloth. I’m pretty sure I tried to burn those papers already.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I finished this half-chapter, but also got stuck for some time on the same moment. Had to refer to a playthrough and, apparently, this is a matter of using one of the spells which results in a very slight change in the scenery which is very easy to miss - yet another downside of this spell system. Agreed that better solutions were possible here.

But rather than that the puzzles felt ok to me, especially compared to the rest of the game. Although a lot of it was simply finding and picking up random stuff lying around: there are really few places to use the items, the world feels rather empty which adds to the feel of loneliness. Not a big fan of the “figuring the right order” sort of logic puzzles, but it was also ok for a change.

This half-chapter sure felt weird and depressing, like a walk trough a post-apocalyptic world or a purgatory (once again got reminded of Tormentum: Dark Sorrow). The creepiest collection of creatures so far, especially the chained monster and the doggy. The thing that followed us everywhere was more curious than creepy, but still gave an uneasy feel. And the little creature suddenly started showing its balls Smile The way he fried the chained monster with a lightning and it went down into the abyss was pretty badass, and so did the way he dealt with the dog - I wouldn’t even dare to approach it.

Aaaand… still no story and no use for the wingless elf Confused My guess is there’s no story in this game at all, it’s just an experience and a guide through Swedish mythology. Now it looks like we are entering hell itself which seems like a logical conclusion Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not going to say I am proud that I didn’t finish this game. But it is obvious that I wasn’t the only one that had the problems that I did. The dreary nature of the game. The hit-or-miss puzzles. And more!

It makes me “not” wonder why it took so long for this game to finally win a playthrough, but why it was even nominated way back when.

I’m sure others might ask the same question about my continued nomination of Lighthouse. Justifiably so. But this game, when actually playing it, does not match well with the cute, fairy tale image the AG review gave.

I applaud all who will make it to the end. Sorry I won’t be there to greet you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

While there is certainly some fair criticism about the game’s inventory puzzles, general luck of a cohesive story or a hint system to point the player in the correct direction, I still find Oknytt an enjoyable and unique game.

Its graphics are very distinctive, its music is relaxing, the voice-acting is top-notch, the setting is great, the elemental powers provide also a unique type of interaction and I still find the whole experience enjoyable.

The game is good in what it is good, if that makes any sense. I cannot say the same about Lighthouse. Although they are two extremely different games and a comparison is probably wrong here.

I will keep the rest of my thoughts for after we finish the last chapter.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I wandered around completely stuck for at least an hour yesterday, trying every item I’d found on everything in the environment at least twice…. The things I think I must do to advance the game is making the draug let me have the flower in order to complete the totem (snakeskin and skull already in place). Also I would think activating the statues in a certain order is necessary, although I have no idea in which order and why. I’ve lit the fire (why?) and fixed the tree’s “taste”, although it needs another ingredient to process the flower in the inventory It’s very unclear what, if anything, we should do with the shadowy figure following us around. Everything I’ve tried so far has failed. I have a juicy steak that for some reason the red-eyed pig don’t want to eat simply because “it didn’t happen that way”...

The chapter started out great, but this is the most stuck I’ve felt in a game in a long time. I absolutely hate using walkthroughs, so will give the game a go later this evening but may decide to quit playing the game if things doesn’t move forward soon. My patience with the game’s puzzles is at its limit.

Puzzles that only make sense in hindsight and that the game doesn’t provide at least some clues for can never be “good” in my book.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finshed 3, 4 & 5 – here are my thoughts:

Chapter 3:

I kinda dig the dark aesthetic. If anything, this game has style and sticks to it. It might not be for everyone, but it is certainly unique - I’ll give developers that.

First complaint: walking speed. Just too damn slow.
Second complaint: “trying everything on everything” is becoming the leading case for puzzle solving, and it can get tedious. I certainly encountered worse examples, and thankfully, there aren’t tens of items on every screen, but oh, man! And there NEEDED to be something other than “hmm, no that’s not…” for every wrong combination, if this is the way the game wants me to solve things.

I actually came across the hedgehog right away, as I like exploring locations, so it didn’t bother me, but I agree with Veovis - seems like we were sent on unnecessary fetch quest, when the item from the inventory could have worked just as well. Can’t be picky when you’re HUNGRY, no?

It’s the stone with the sap that has killed me in this chapter. Came across this purely by “the second complaint” method. Can’t really call this solution logical any way I look at it.

Chapter 4:

Finally discovered that the game is best played in the total darkness. All the shades come into existence, and the picture isn’t quite that monochrome anymore – it works so much better. I really like the visuals.
Just like others, I enjoyed this chapter because it introduced puzzle variety, and I had to sit and think of the solution instead of just trying items on each other.

‘Twas was a short but sweet experience.

I don’t have a favorite creature; I just embrace all the “bad” ones 😊 Alva seems like someone in whose servitude I just willingly submitted.

Chapter 5:

Actually, I finished the entire chapter. Maybe because I played 3 of them in a row, I embraced this game’s logic, so it wasn’t difficult - just pleasantly challenging comparatively to the first chapters. I enjoyed it the most as well. It was closer to chapter 4 as far as mix of puzzles, so it didn’t feel monotonous.  I also noticed that the second I got something in the inventory, I immediately combined it with what I already had, giving me new items I wouldn’t necessary come up with just sitting there, thinking of what I should do next. By this point it was almost automatic and, in a warped kinda way, made the progress smoother.

With that being said, the story/meaning is still unclear to me (if there’s one). It’s a journey, for sure, just the destination is a bit blurry. I have my own take, but I’ll hold on to it until everyone’s finished.

I also really liked the whistling soundtrack that could be heard throughout the final chapter.  I feel like the entire musical component– voice-over, music and sound effects - are superb.
Looking forward to hear everyone else’s thoughts.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Doom - 16 February 2021 04:10 PM

and the doggy.

\

You mean the sow?
The one that cuts people in half with its spikes as it runs between their legs?   Grin

Veovis - 17 February 2021 04:48 AM

I wandered around completely stuck for at least an hour yesterday, trying every item I’d found on everything in the environment at least twice….

Maybe this will help.
You don’t need what you think you need for the totem. The last item is in the different area you didn’t open yet.

The order of activating the statues does not matter.

Shadowy figure problem will resolve automatically when you solve one of the puzzles.

Have you searched the ruined tent? One of the things you’ll find will work with something you had in your inventory for a while. And there’s a “perfect place” to put it and let “magic” do its job.  Smile

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Thanks DCast. Yes I have searched the ruined tent. In inventory I have three things aside from the cup and the necklace found in previous chapters. I have a canvas (with copper wire?), a steak and that blooming something (with a copper wire?). Have tried using all these things everywhere, unless I have missed something in the game environment, which of course is a possibility.

Just spent 30 more minutes with the game. I discovered that activating the thunder in one area activated the fire rune (very easy to miss!), making it possible to create a mega-lightning. Figured I had FINALLY found the thing that would move things forward, but absolutely nothing happens when I use this newly found thing.

If I didn’t know better I’d say I’ve hit a game breaking bug. But since I’ve even managed to find complete areas in previous chapters only after some serious pixel hunting, I guess this is yet another case of me not having noticed something in the game world.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Veovis - 17 February 2021 07:44 AM

Thanks DCast. Yes I have searched the ruined tent. In inventory I have three things aside from the cup and the necklace found in previous chapters. I have a canvas (with copper wire?), a steak and that blooming something (with a copper wire?). Have tried using all these things everywhere, unless I have missed something in the game environment, which of course is a possibility.

There should be another thing you picked up from ruined tent . There are two things given to you simultaneously -maybe it’s hard to see in the inventory? Then you have the right way of thinking!

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

DCast - 17 February 2021 08:21 AM

There should be another thing you picked up from ruined tent . There are two things given to you simultaneously -maybe it’s hard to see in the inventory? Then you have the right way of thinking!

You were right of course… I had five clearly visible inventory items on the top row and one single more or less invisible item on the second row. That item pretty much looks like the scratches in the wood on the inventory’s third row! Now at least I understand what happened to that copper wire… This is what stopped my progress for over an hour! I’m having a hard time sending warm thoughts to the developer right now.Smile This must be the first time ever that I’ve been stuck in a game because I didn’t notice an item in the inventory.

Anyway; thanks DCast for the subtle hints!

Edit: And I’m through the copper gate. It sucked being stuck because of an almost invisible inventory item but apart from that the chapter was fun and the puzzles themselves actually quite ok.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Veovis - 17 February 2021 10:26 AM

This must be the first time ever that I’ve been stuck in a game because I didn’t notice an item in the inventory.

Let’s treat it as an achievement! Grin

I thought to myself once or twice how hard it is to notice it, but what helped me is that I had another item right after it, so by definition - it couldn’t be an “empty spot”, haha. Glad I could help Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished the game, not realizing until now that we were supposed to stop at the Copper Gate. Sorry!

I’ll save my final thoughts until the end of the playthrough.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Never thought I had to heat a chisel to use it.
So then I thought all was good until I worked forever to try and get all the chains up. Did not occur to me to pull the lever again. So I finally resorted to a WT.
And now I am well and truly stuck. I’d rather not go back to the WT, so if someone can give me a hint I’d appreciate it.
All I have in inventory is a pile of dirt. I have activated the asksten in the glass orb. I have opened the casket and given the middle Troll the glowing tome. I have killed off the mushrooms with the poison in the cup. In the cavern, the only Ruin that works is the water one. In the Troll cave I have the Water, Heat and Wind Ruins that are active.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top